HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:41 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by matiac View Post
Seems like discrimination to me. I'm not sure what difference the size of the plane makes to a given club, or it's power source, I think a flying club should be open to anyone who has a model to fly. .
The difference is that a lot of clubs have contracts with the site owners or municipalities that require a minimum insurance requirement that is not met by the Park Pilot program. That's why acceptance or non acceptance of Park Pilot membership was left to individual clubs.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:45 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2012
76 Posts
There is no reason to join the AMA. If you are low on money, just forget about it all. If you want to fly at an AMA field, then sign up or write a seven digit number on your airplane.
Eli Lipschitz is offline Find More Posts by Eli Lipschitz
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:11 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Lipschitz View Post
There is no reason to join the AMA. If you are low on money, just forget about it all. If you want to fly at an AMA field, then sign up or write a seven digit number on your airplane.
A. With the exception of Muncie IN there's no such thing as an AMA field.

2. What a bunch of There's a large benefit to modelers of all genres the one I value most is the fact that in today's world where we have the FAA, the FCC and Homeland Security scrutinizing our activities the AMA has been pro-active. What other modeling organization has a DC lobbyist?

Instead of reading this guys's if someone is actually interested in what the benefits of the AMA are you can see them here.

I have no problem with someone choosing not to join the AMA but if you do so don't disparage others from supporting the organization. If you would prefer the AMA members to fight for you to maintain your activities instead of joining, stand on the outside and we will carry your load.

Azarr
AMA L999
(yes I'm a lifer)
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Last edited by Azarr; Sep 20, 2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:41 AM
AMA7224 LSF1832
Joined Sep 2008
3,432 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
.....I have no problem with someone choosing not to join the AMA but if you do so don't disparage others from supporting the organization. If you would prefer the AMA members to fight for you to maintain your activities instead of joining, stand on the outside and we will carry your load........
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Jul 2011
310 Posts
So, just to get this thread back on track, I was in no way questioning the worth or the 'raison d'Ítre' of the AMA as an organization - only the (I guess) validity of the Park Pilot program. I understand why the AMA exists and it's usefulness. What I don't understand is the purpose of the Park Pilot program, and if it has any real worth.
rickthebrewer is offline Find More Posts by rickthebrewer
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:40 PM
Your Pilot Ryan
United States, IN, South Bend
Joined Nov 2008
3,287 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickthebrewer View Post
So, just to get this thread back on track, I was in no way questioning the worth or the 'raison d'Ítre' of the AMA as an organization - only the (I guess) validity of the Park Pilot program. I understand why the AMA exists and it's usefulness. What I don't understand is the purpose of the Park Pilot program, and if it has any real worth.
I say get the open membership so you can fly anything almost anywhere, then pay 10 extra dollars and receive Park Pilot magazine if your interested in electrics. That way you get both magazines and your covered no matter what. The AMA is awesome. Thank goodness we have them to represent us.
ryramZ is offline Find More Posts by ryramZ
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:49 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
The difference is that a lot of clubs have contracts with the site owners or municipalities that require a minimum insurance requirement that is not met by the Park Pilot program. That's why acceptance or non acceptance of Park Pilot membership was left to individual clubs.

Azarr
+1 - we have no choice. Our lease REQUIRES full AMA. We have no choice and the Army Corps require that as a condition of use. So it is not discrimination at all, Matiac.

AMA was trying to do something to address the large numbers of park fliers and give them some benefit of joining.

Certainly does not hurt anyone to have that option.
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:52 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranandar View Post
Absolutely not, but that is a discussion for a different forum.
I'm with you on this. I want nothing to do with the NRA.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:19 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,281 Posts
matiac

The choice of what can or cannot be flown at a chartered club field is entirely up to the individuals that formed the club--found the land that the field occupies--and spent the money to develop the field.
If that club decides that their interests lie in Giant Scale then that is what they allow at the field. The same holds true for any other club interest.
You wouldn't want a gas/glow plane at your electric only field.

BM
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:16 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Murocflyer is offline Find More Posts by Murocflyer
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 21, 2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:19 PM
Joined Jul 2011
310 Posts
Okay. I'm sorry that people have confused this with a referendum on the the AMA. The point of this this thread was to discuss the merits of the Park Pilot program in and of itself. NOT the AMA as an entity and its usefulness. That point is conceded.

Not one of the proceeding comments has extolled the virtues and / or benefits of the Park Pilot program. Which, if you'll rcl

The fact that no compelling argument has been made for the PPP to exist leads me to believe that its entire existence is just a weak propaganda farce.

Until, of course I'm proven otherwise.
rickthebrewer is offline Find More Posts by rickthebrewer
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:22 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Last edited by Murocflyer; Sep 21, 2012 at 01:04 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Nov 2005
24,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
I bought myself 65 acre's, sold all the tree's and bought my wife a top of the line John Deere zero turn so that I can takeoff and fly from any spot I wish. You ought to see her tan ...ZZ
That's the way to do it Dave! Although that probably costs more than $58 a year.

One day I am going to do the same thing but have a small shed there set up and keep stuff like props, batteries etc for my friends when they come to fly. And if I even make a few bucks then we'll have a BBQ at the end of the summer with the money.

That is my dream anyway.

Frank
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:31 PM
St. Louis
USA, MO, Ballwin
Joined Mar 2010
634 Posts
This is simply an insurance decision. How much do you want to purchase? A true Park Flyer does not need the insurance that a 150cc gas flyer does....has nothing to do with dedication to the hobby.

Some clubs promise their locality that their flyers are "fully insured" and this changes the question.

So your field needs to set rules to match their promise to the field owner. You have Park Permits and Full permits then this needs to be revealed.

The distinction between Park Flyer and full flyer has definately blurred in the past year with electrics capable of speeds of over 100mph but....they don't qualify for Park Permits.

Local clubs need to crack down on this before something nasty happens at your field
Foambird is offline Find More Posts by Foambird
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:12 AM
LSF303 / AMA Life Member
USA, IL, Wheeling
Joined Jan 2003
3,113 Posts
Any thread in this forum turns into a referendum on the AMA ...
tkallev is offline Find More Posts by tkallev