Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:23 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
Thats ok, not a feature I need to worry about now

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
I can't help you with arducopter, sorry, not one of the many boards I've tried :-)
Titus Gordon is offline Find More Posts by Titus Gordon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:58 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
Any advice for taking care of my new batteries? Do they need to be cycled? I have a Turnigy Accucel-6 charger.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:26 PM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
They can often perform better after a few cycles. I mainly try and charge mine at 1C most times and not run them below 80% capacity so as to be easy on them.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 05:46 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
Ok that sounds good!

I feel confident that I'll be doing my first test flights tomorrow after work! Tonight I'm charging batteries and balancing props.

Now I just need to figure out the failsafe options... there are 2 failsafes if I'm not mistaking, one for the transmitter (Turnigy 9x) and one for the flight controller.. hmmmm

Quote:
They can often perform better after a few cycles. I mainly try and charge mine at 1C most times and not run them below 80% capacity so as to be easy on them.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:51 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
First successful test hovers!

Worked out some issues I've been having with the props (temporarilly while I wait for new props) and took it outside today for some short test hovers. The first hover was very wobbly so I tuned it down some but it's too gusty outside to actually see results.

It flies!

Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:19 PM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
Awesome!!! I'm starting to get this thing dialed in! Been hovering around in stabilize mode tuning parameters with my channel 6 options in MPNG, I've got it fairly stable now.

Tonight I got brave and decided to try a new mode so I setup a flight mode for ALT hold and wen't outside to test it. It worked good, although I think that mode needs some tuning.

This is awesome!!!
Last edited by Titus Gordon; Sep 25, 2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 05:15 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
One quick fix for the props while the new ones make their way there is to put a layer or two of heat shrink on the bottom half of the motor shaft so the prop fits snug. Just add enough to make up the size difference. Shrink each layer over the previous. Just be sur to keep it below the top of the prop a bit so nut tightens down ok.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:50 AM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
That's what I did

It only took one layer of heatshrink to make the difference.

Quote:
One quick fix for the props while the new ones make their way there is to put a layer or two of heat shrink on the bottom half of the motor shaft so the prop fits snug. Just add enough to make up the size difference. Shrink each layer over the previous. Just be sur to keep it below the top of the prop a bit so nut tightens down ok.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:52 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Ahh cool, glad you got it, props should hopefully be there this week anyway.

I just did a similar approach for the new wooden 10" Gemfan props on my F550 setup since the wood props have no adapters. Quick and easy and simple to remove.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:58 AM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
I ended up ordering a set of NTM 28-26 motors to replace the ones I have, I don't trust the prop adapter on these ones. I was taking a propeller off the other day and just the torque from that popped off one of the adapters, they are some kind of compression fitting onto the shaft. Just doesn't feel like I can trust it.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Some of those prop adapters are a poor fit. I've had similar issues with Suppo motors so end up replacing them with a tighter fitting adapter in some cases. I do prefer the bolt on adapters though, the Tiger and iPower motors use that type as well.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:48 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus Gordon View Post
I ended up ordering a set of NTM 28-26 motors to replace the ones I have, I don't trust the prop adapter on these ones. I was taking a propeller off the other day and just the torque from that popped off one of the adapters, they are some kind of compression fitting onto the shaft. Just doesn't feel like I can trust it.
i hate those press on prop adapters...but I got a tip from another RCG member and it works really well...JB weld!! mix a little of that up and slather on the motor shaft and put a little of it in the adapter where the motor shft presses in and you are golden!!

It works really well...and if you need to take the adapter off for any reason later, just heat it up a bit and it comes right off...
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:52 AM
FPV it is!
Canada, SK
Joined Aug 2012
1,325 Posts
Nice tip! I'll keep that in mind.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:56 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,341 Posts
Also if you lightly rough up the shaft with a file or sandpaper it will help them hold better.
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
Multi rotors=No Paycheck left
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
3,452 Posts
Quote:
Also if you lightly rough up the shaft with a file or sandpaper it will help them hold better.
i tried that too and it didnt work well for me...but that is just my experience...maybe i didnt rough it up enough...but i love the JB weld...in fact i had to do one last night ...should be ready for flight today....
SDSURFnGLIDE is offline Find More Posts by SDSURFnGLIDE