HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:23 AM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
yep...Dubro 12oz tank and gas stopper was like 6 bucks....

OK i have decided that I am going to use the shorter stand offs and enlarge the hole in the firewall for the carb to fit through.. according to my measurements and the design of the motor box i should still me able to get to the needles with ease.

Last night I fiber glassed reinforced the firewall and was able to drill the holes in the firewall for the stand offs.

Really want to finish her by the weekend,,,,the forecast for this weekend looks like great flying weather and with me being in MI, I am running out of weekends to fly before it gets to cold..
jhomman27 is offline Find More Posts by jhomman27
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 09:33 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
I made some good progress on the bird tonight...I got the engine mounted and the cowl cut...

all I have left really is to mount the throttle servo, gas tank, and balance and it will be Maiden time...shooting for Sunday....Fingers crossed

When looking at the pics don't look at the mess in my hobby room...
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
JH

Looking at the pics (and not the messing hobby room!) it looks like there's a good amount of room under the motor box... you think there's enough space to cut a canister tunnel?

Flyracer
flyracer is offline Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
I was just thinking that as well, and I think there is, but i would measure before buying..
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:43 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Not to rain on your parade but thats not enough glass. That motor will come loose. maybe not on the 1st flight but it will.
Even as much glass work as I've done. Mine came loose last sunday. Of course I was doing some WOT knife edge spins, as well as waterfalls and outside snaps.
I should of pinned it as well. It also likes to break where the sides of the motor box go through and behind the 1st former. It also has came loose on the bottom of the motor box just in front of the tank.
Of course it took most of the summer to do this. I'm now going to pin it.
You'll also need to drill some hole for tuning yoour engine.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Sep 29, 2012, 09:44 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
here a pic of the holesd for tuning
Also looking at your 1st picture the landing gear former hasn't been reinforced. They really like to break there
I had to cut the covering on the bottom to get to the rear landing gear former to fiberglass an laminate it
Old Sep 29, 2012, 12:32 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
ya i still plan on pinning an adding some more fiber glass....that is what i am working on now. i want it as strong as i can get it
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:49 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
I'm checking the motor box on the Yak.... I didn't do any kind of reinforcement and I've progressively gotten more aggressive with flying her.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:25 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
I would say thats a good Ideal. These gassers can really shake, and those motor boxes really do see alot of stress
Old Oct 02, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
Well i am still going to add some more fiber glass to the motor box....better safe the sorry..
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:06 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
a flight line buddy took t6061 aluminum angle and used that to reinforce the motor box/Firewall joint... like what you see on the bigger 50cc and up airframes. Pilot RC uses this method on their 30cc kits as well
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:18 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Yeah I think I'll try that when I go to redo my fire wall.
Now I really abuse my MX going vertical doing full throttle snaps. So I'm back to repairing my motor box. I'm just doing some fiberglassing to get by the rest of the season with.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:39 AM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
alright...mine is done...finished her last night....

hole motor box is fiber glassed.

she is balanced and ready for maiden...I was very happy that i did not have to add any lead to balance.

now i just need a good weather day to maiden.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:40 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Your Slipstream MXS is looking great! Just found another website that has some great prices/shipping on their 20cc and higher airframes (a lot are out of stock now, but they said more coming in in Oct. and they are taking preorders at a great price. http://www.aerobeez.com/
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Last edited by gregory.da; Oct 03, 2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Slipstream not GW
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
well the weather was right after work, so it was time for a maiden flight.....and all i have to say is wow.........this plane flies great.....

took off , couple of clicks on the elevator trim and she was flying true..flew her for about 5 minutes just to get the feel...

i was thinking that she was going to land hot after talking to a few on here, but she floated in....

all i got was one flight in before it started getting dark, so i am hoping we have some good weather this weekend....can not wait to put this plane through its paces..