HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:26 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
O she'll hang on the prop alright. With that DLE 30 it will yank her around like a rag doll.
You can do some great thrust vectoring.
WOT has gotten me out more than chopping the throttle.
I did that one time and my plane ended up in the top of a tree
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 21, 2012, 11:34 AM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
I have yet got a plane stuck in a tree...knock on wood...but i have hit power lines....that gets pretty interesting...lol
jhomman27 is offline Find More Posts by jhomman27
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
Was able to get a little work done on the MXS tonight....all the control surfaces are glued.

Landing gear installed....Aileron servos installed...slowly coming together
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:03 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
yeap same plane as mine. my fire wall came loose today. I pulled the cowl so I'll post som pictures tomorrow.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:06 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Another local flyer had one of the SlipStream MXS and he cut the firewall back and rebuilt the front to accept the supplied standoffs. Make sure to pin the front of the firewall if you do that. I think the main difference I've seen between the SS, Goldwing, and ones Aerobeez sells is that they have a hole in the bottom of the fuse for a canister muffler. You will love it, especially if this is your 1st gasser.....I'm slowly getting rid of my glow and going all gas and electric, just makes sense to me.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:52 AM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
This is not my first Gasser. I love gas(i know that sounds bad), I have been done with Glow for awhile....Gas in my opinion is just way better...

I was not able to get much done on the plane this weekend....

I did get the elevator and Rudder Servos installed. I can not believe that Slip Streams suggest a 1 servos setup on the elevator...

I also got the push rods installed for the elevator.

I hope tonight to get the push pull done for the rudder and get the pushrods installed for the ailerons.

She is looking really good and can not wait to get her up in the air.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:59 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Another local flyer had one of the SlipStream MXS and he cut the firewall back and rebuilt the front to accept the supplied standoffs. Make sure to pin the front of the firewall if you do that. I think the main difference I've seen between the SS, Goldwing, and ones Aerobeez sells is that they have a hole in the bottom of the fuse for a canister muffler. You will love it, especially if this is your 1st gasser.....I'm slowly getting rid of my glow and going all gas and electric, just makes sense to me.
I think moving the fire wall is the best ideal
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
ya....on most planes i build i always do the Engine mounting first, but not this one...i am still undecided if i am going to go with short stand offs and have the Carb in the fire wall or moving the firewall back..

I have never moved a firewall back and that makes me somewhat nervous...
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:20 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
It's not hard, measure how much you want to move it and mark all four sides at that distance from the current position, that way you keep any offset and down thrust built into the firewall. Take a dremel with a cutoff blade and make your cuts. Now cutout and epoxy in a new firewall (1/4" min., 3/8" recommended for gassers) recessed 1/4" like the original, and pin all four sides by drilling holes and epoxying in some small dowel rods (1/8" dia.) or use screws. Follow up with some tri-stock on the outside and inside if possible and you are ready to drill your mounting holes. You need to pin it and use the tri-stock because the original ones are usually interlocked (mortise/tenon like) into the side walls. If you open the hole and move the carb part way inside the fuse, you sometimes have trouble reaching the high/low needle valve screws. Kerwin, might have some other tricks or methods to add.
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:55 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
No you pretty much said it all. I didn't move my firewall. Had I it would of been much more secure than it is now, and not near so much of a pain to tune.
Now of course I really wrung her out sunday, doing full throttle snaps leading into inverted flat spins where the plane just hangs in the air spinning.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
gregory.da, you make it sound easy...I still dont know, but i am getting close to having to choose what I am going to do...

I did not get a ton done on her tonight...I got the pushrods for the ailerons done and installed...and the push pull installed on the rudder....about all is left is to install the motor and the fuel tank....getting close
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:35 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,500 Posts
If the fuel tank is anything like on mine I'd replace it, with a dubro. Mine the bolt kept working loose and then leaking. I'm so glad I fuel proofed the inside of the fuse with epoxy and alcohol.
Also if you don't renforce the landing gear block formers, they will give way. The wheel pants will poke holes in your wings. I've seen this time an again with this model from other modelers who didn't do this mod.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:19 AM
Joined Sep 2012
48 Posts
Ya i alreay have a new fuel tank. seems that lots of arf's come with crappy fuel tanks.

and i always fiber glass reinforce the landing gear block....i think every arf that i have ever had that is that is a week point.

so i guess i do have a little more work to do...lol
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
I picked up the Slipstream 30cc Yak55M.... no hacking of the firewall was needed to fit the DLE30.. I think the required clearance is 6.5" for the DLE30 with the stock standoffs.

My only complaint is the landing gear is like butter... same issue with their sBach342 30cc kit as well (sold it to a good friend)

Yea the Slipstream 30c kits aren't the A+ ARF kits (ie no fancy CF parts), but for the $250 to my door it's awesome cheap flying! I rung the snot out of the sBach and the Yak gets put through the ringer everytime I take her out.... I suspose subconsiously there's not the fear of crashing a $250 airframe.

Flyracer
flyracer is online now Find More Posts by flyracer
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
Wannabe 3D Pilot
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Nov 2006
1,187 Posts
crappy fuel tanks... good topic! Yes, I'd replace the cheap stock tank.. a 8oz to 12oz DuBro gas tank is gonna be somewhere around $5 to $7..... make sure you get a GAS rated stopper as well. That's another $1.50
flyracer is online now Find More Posts by flyracer