HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:34 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Sep 2011
4,697 Posts
I'm starting to wish that the HK FBL came with a belt. Ugh. I just know I'm gonna hit the tail, probably on the first try. I already have spares ordered. Everyone says get Align but won't they all break on a tail strike? Let me use cheapies until I get stable flight going then I'll start investing in Align parts. I think I am going to build my actual flybar Align 450 super sport first, though. Probably a better machine for me. I just like the "3 axis gyro" feel now that I've tasted it on a few machines.
shahram72 is offline Find More Posts by shahram72
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
I just plan to not hit the tail again..i'm a quick learner lol.

I have spares now though.
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:20 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,419 Posts
Well generally we advise to get the belt drive, for beginners anyway. Because yeah, they all will break with a good tail strike.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 30, 2012, 09:46 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
KTM...we have all been ther b4 with our 450's..Learning with a t.t 450 can be a Until your landings become spot on. Like said those front t.t gears do strip easy. Here are a couple links i have for you. One is a bit longer vertical fin for the 450. ( will keep your tail blades a bit higher on landings ) the other are " gorilla" landing skids. These things are indestructible. ( within reason) http://rcbits.com.au/content/lx0184-...-pro-3k-carbon Also http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gorilla-Gear...item53ef05c5b6 3 colors to pick from......Or some people even mod a 500 vertical fin to fit their 450 ..Personaly i think it looks tacky however.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:25 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Thanks Stixx i'll check them out.

Not sure a belt would have saved me, I blew one of the tail blades clean off.

Got it fixed already. Just waiting on new landing gear and main blades ( mine got dinged up from the dirt flying up into them )
Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Sep 30, 2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 10:18 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2011
96 Posts
I think on grass the belt would be more forgiving but on rocks I don't think it matters much I have a HK 450 Pro with a belt & flybarred & it has been pretty forgiving so far but no rocks yet either hehe... I too have a bounty of spare parts ready for the inevitable dumb thumb moment to arise & figure I'll build another soon.

Been looking at the the Tarot kits as well & may wind up with one of those possibly instead. No rush though as I have my 2 450's flying (other is a Blade 450 3d)
qcman is offline Find More Posts by qcman
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Stixx thanks Amain had those gorilla landing gear so I just ordered a set and I had $10 store credit so they cost me like $6
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:08 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,703 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
Stixx thanks Amain had those gorilla landing gear so I just ordered a set and I had $10 store credit so they cost me like $6
Very welcome. I have no idea what they are made of. But by far the best landing gear I know of, and very well worth the money..cool ya got em for only 6 bucks.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Oct 03, 2012, 09:09 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,246 Posts
I use 500 size skids on my 450s.

http://www.sdshobby.net/500-helicopt...9b623e81e8e632

http://www.sdshobby.net/500-helicopt...9b623e81e8e632

I can take-off and land in grass or uneven ground easily with these because it adds at least 1/2 inch of clearance to the tail. I don't do it very often because chopped grass makes a mess on the boom and tail slider...
GooberSB is offline Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:38 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Fixed!

Ready for another go at it tomorrow.

New blades and new skids.

A backup canopy..
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:45 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Back in the air!

Flew 2 batteries successfully my landings are still kinda sketchy. But no accidents, and on my second battery I was calming down and did slow timid turn. ( not on video we went back to the field for that )

It feels like my heli is drifting forward by itself now since the repairs? any ideas what that would be? its center of gravity is fine i'm not sure whats up.

Tarot 450 PRO V2 FBL (3 min 18 sec)
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:15 PM
Athens
Joined Oct 2009
751 Posts
You are doing very well for a beginner!

Your landings are ok (could be better but nevermind if you don't bump it harder than this). If you have access to any sports field with artificial lawn, go there instead of the parking lot. Ground is much softer for practicing landings, plus you could get away with blades hitting the ground, plus green background makes a perfect place to practice low altitude hovering.

I have found out that after every crash, you have to check everything from the beggining : usually more than one thing gets slightly twisted or destorted just enough to change heli response.
I have also found out that you dont need to bother too much when learning. Crashes come quite often so it isn't worth spending hours for achieving a perfect set up, fly twice and crash again. If it gets better with a little trim, just go fly.
dk31 is offline Find More Posts by dk31
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Thanks

actually we raised my front two swash plate links one turn and it helped a bit. I dont know if you could tell in the video but all but the last takeoff the heli kept trying to tilt forward on takeoff on the skids. The last takeoff was after we raised the 2 swash links and it felt a little better..maybe it somehow wasn't quite level before. I'll give another once over.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 09:34 AM
New Zealand, Hawke's Bay, Havelock North
Joined Jun 2012
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJac View Post
Recommend you do some reading while you are waiting for the new parts or you will be re-ordering and re-ordering and re-ordering. Unfortunately the TT is VERY unforgiving for any kind of a tail strike - even more unforgiving is replacing those gears. They are really a PAIN!

Recommended reading:

Don't Touch The Controls

3D Is Not For Everyone

Phoenix Simulator Flight School

Great reading! Its 3am and I'm still going!
brones is online now Find More Posts by brones
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Just rechecked my swash level it was off a bit, not sure how that happend, probably when I was changing the holes he servo's connected too we just figured it would still be level.

Re did my zero-pitch hope to fly it soon and see if the forward drift is gone.