SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Discussion
Couldn't wait..its 450 time.

Well I was going to wait until next year...but I was having so much fun flying the MCPX ( Just got into heli's about 3 weeks ago ). Had a lot of fun watching a friend fly his 450. I couldn't resist.

I'm ripping around with the MCPX now in idle up mode now. Probably have 150+ flights on it already.

Building a Tarot Pro 450 V2 Flybarless ( It's like 99% identical to the align trex, rumors they are from the same factory )

Total cost: +/- $350
Tarot Pro FBL V2 Super Combo 6 from oomodel: ~$310 shipped Had I known about http://www.tarot-rc-heli.com/ ( in San Diego ) I would have ordered there it would have been slightly more expensive but Dave the owner replys quickly to emails and i have some spare parts on the way from him )
hobbyking
Orange RX ( Sale $4 )
Orange Sattelite: $11.83
Turnigy Batteries: ~$16 each

Waiting on some of the parts before I wire it up.. and since I don't know how to set it up an experienced friend is going to walk me through it all.
KTMDirtFace is offline Find More Posts by KTMDirtFace
Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Sep 18, 2012 at 05:18 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 05:14 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
since I don't know how to set it up an experienced friend is going to walk me through it all.
Best thing you could ever possibly do! Good luck, it looks like a decent little clone
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:00 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
congrats KTM....I have this same heli. Its a great Lil flyer. !! Just a heads up as your going into your build. Go really easy on the frame screws. ( no need to tighten down like a mad man ) The heads can strip off very easy. ( this is normal for a clone heli ) if you should strip one. Break out the ol dremil and cut a new slot. And pick up some "align" 450 frame screws..Also And i promise you this: the front and rear t.t gears are very soft. if lucky you may get about 20 flights..Best to avoid this from the start and just pick up some "align" t.t gears. Other then those two things. Its a great heli. I fly mine almost daily in front yard.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Cool thanks, I have some spare tt gears on order already.

And the frame screws yea I'm not going madman on any of them I don't think its good to crank things down against carbon fiber anyway.. just putting blue locktite on everything and getting them "snug". I have it all together but will be removing it when I get to wiring so i only have loctite on one side at the moment.

My RX and sattelite just showed up. Soon as I get some bullet connectors I can start mounting electronics.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:26 AM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Sounds good, I bet you are excited. Let us know how the build goes. Looks like a nice heli, the canopy looks just like the one on my trex 450, lol.

Congratulations on making this move.
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:07 AM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
i think 450s are the best, not to big but not too small, i have a nitro 500 and fly my 450 more. cant go wrong with nice looking one like that either. congrats
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:56 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,713 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnmardister View Post
i think 450s are the best, not to big but not too small, i have a nitro 500 and fly my 450 more. cant go wrong with nice looking one like that either. congrats
I cant agree with you more. I have had or have all sizes 450-500-550-600 And i admit my fav. size to fly is the lil 450. For me its just more fluid in the air. A bit more acrobatic, can turn on a dime. I'm also much more aggressive with it. ( maybe knowing crash cost is cheap ) I have known alot of ppl sell off their 450's because they move up to a larger size. Then a few months down the road buy another on the fun factor alone.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:01 PM
rc aircraft crasher
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
ok this may sound dumb but have never had to deal with them... what the heck is a satellite? and the orange RX? is that the cheap brand of spektrum? not too hot on the radio stuff. im planning on gettin a nice dx8 some time though.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:16 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
ok this may sound dumb but have never had to deal with them... what the heck is a satellite? and the orange RX? is that the cheap brand of spektrum? not too hot on the radio stuff. im planning on gettin a nice dx8 some time though.
Orange RX is a spektrum compatable receiver its dirt cheap. Probably not as good as the real thing but my friend has been using them with no issues.

I got this one for my dx6i on sale for $4 yea .... four dollars.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965

Satellite Probably not needed on a 450 but it was cheap and adds some range and redundancy so I'll put it on.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=11965

I think I paid $18 total for both including shipping and got them in 8 days from Hong Kong or wherever hobby kings international wearhouse is.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 04:07 AM
rc aircraft crasher
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
good to know... thanks for the insight. and im guessing you really only need the sat. for further range? does it do anything else?
Old Sep 21, 2012, 10:41 AM
MS
Joined Jul 2005
245 Posts
Been eye balling the Tarot 450 v2 as of late. Like others here I also have a 600 and a 500 but the lil 450s always get more of my attention (have 4 now) . Easy to work on, dirt cheap parts and can be flown in my back yard

Also on the Tarot ZYX-S fbl controller, I do believe you don't have to run a receiver just the sats. Might make it look neater without the extra wiring but signal redundancy might be more important.

Keep em pics coming

mj147
mj147 is offline Find More Posts by mj147
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:12 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
good to know... thanks for the insight. and im guessing you really only need the sat. for further range? does it do anything else?
No, the satellite does not increase the range. That is, it doesn't make the receiver any more sensitive, and it certainly doesn't increase the transmitter power - those are the only two ways to increase range. What it does is to deal with a number of signal-blocking problems that are particularly troubling on 2.4GHz - especially muti-pathing (where reflected waves can interfere with each other). Satellites are recommended on aircraft which contain more metal or carbon fiber than your average park foamy plane. They are not needed on 450s, IF you mount the receiver properly, but if you have a CF frame, the satellite will reduce the chance of losing the signal.

Every 2.4GHz system has a method of dealing with the issue of multi-pathing - Spektrum gives you a whole nother receiver with decoder and everything, Futaba gives you a long antenna.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:48 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
I have seen video tests on youtube where if you install the satellite as far away from the receiver as possible it does increase the range?.. But thanks for the explination.. I don't really know what it does either. It was cheap and my friend said to get one, so why not install it if I have it right?

Yes I think you can use the ZYX-S without a receiver but from what I gathered on heli freak it is a huge pain in the butt to setup and most people gave up.
Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Sep 21, 2012 at 01:02 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mj147 View Post

Keep em pics coming
mj147
Here are some out of the box and build pics. not much work done on it latley I mounted the servos and am setting the gyro up now.. with wires just hanging loosley. Waiting on some servo wrap from hobbypartz before I button it up. The USPS has been rediculusly slow latley so I'm still waiting on a few small things..not sure whats up with USPS in the last 2 weeks things that took 2 days consistantly are now taking over a week ( to go 6 hours! )

Test fitting the Receiver.. (its in backwards I was just making sure the width was ok...it is, even with the Sat plug on the side its fine )

Last edited by KTMDirtFace; Sep 21, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 01:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
I have seen video tests on youtube where if you install the satellite as far away from the receiver as possible it does increase the range?

Yes I think you can use the ZYX-S without a receiver but from what I gathered on heli freak it is a huge pain in the butt to setup and most people gave up.
Yes, the two receivers should have as much separation as you can get, and they should be oriented 90 degrees from each other. However, this does not increase the range. What it does is to allow you to survive some conditions which are worse at long range. So, it effectively increases your useful range, but it does not increase the sensitivity of the receiver, or the transmitter power. It's like this - I used to have a car that needed to have 1/4 tank of gas for the fuel pump to be happy... if I fixed the fuel pump, that wouldn't really be increasing the range of the car, just fixing a problem that happens toward the end of the run.

So, it's a technical distinction. If you are having multi-path issues, those issues will cause more problems at long range, but your signal is still getting there, and it's still loud enough for the receiver to hear. That is - the receiver didn't fail because it was too far away, it failed because of multi-path interference, which is not considered a range problem. I just want people to understand that the satellite doesn't make your receiver any more sensitive, but it might make it work better in certain situations that typically get worse at long range. See the difference?