Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:45 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,766 Posts
Wow Brett! You must be bored at work today.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:00 AM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,289 Posts
LOL...sometimes just need to take a break from coding!
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 26, 2012, 04:12 AM
WWII combat fan
Huddersfield
Joined Jul 2008
148 Posts
Rudlickiego means V-tail - Rudlicki simply was a guy who came up with the idea of V-tail
most of the airfoils from Blejzyk are modified - just base on the airfoil specified - to make the most of it's potential the airfoil also changes - different close to the fuss from what's in the middle and at the end of the wing
mammuth is offline Find More Posts by mammuth
Old Sep 26, 2012, 10:53 AM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,597 Posts
Feedback from Artur:
difference is in the wing area:
Elf- 13,00 dm
Faun- 12,54 dm
Spin - 11,43 dm
in my opinion Elf or Faun would be best for your race series.
-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:31 PM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,766 Posts
I'll take one Elf, please! (Or maybe more...)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:38 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
749 Posts
Faun

Wayne,

From the pictures it looks as though the Faun might be intended for full span ailerons? Looks like it can be built with cruciform tail too? If so it might make a good VTPP plane! That could interest me.

Richard
CFIMEI is offline Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:42 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,289 Posts
I don't know all the places you guys fly at, so forgive this question, but are flaps a requirement? I ask mainly because there might be people who don't have radios that don't support a full house sailplane with camber changing, crow, snap flap, etc.
bjaffee is offline Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,136 Posts
My vote is for the Elf - or whatever the masses of this group decide, because I'm ready to try something new. My rationale is that I tend to divide the amount of "generated fun" by the "costs" (time to build, cash to purchase). The Speedo has easily returned positive dividends. I'm a fan of bagged or pressed wood-over-foam wing. The first plane I built with that platform was my Stinger 45v2 and I really started to like that method of wing construction.

With the amount of sunlight available after work on weekdays for flying diminishing each day I know I'm going to have more time for building over the next few months. It would be pretty cool for the races in 2013 to have a new/additional platform.
macinr is online now Find More Posts by macinr
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:47 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
I think I'm leaning towards an Elf as well. If I got one, I might considering modifying it into a two piece wing though. My future may hold a bit more traveling in it and it would be cool to be as portable as possible.

-Jonathan
who does and doesn't want to know what a VTPP is...
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
Joined Jan 2005
749 Posts
Flaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
I don't know all the places you guys fly at, so forgive this question, but are flaps a requirement? I ask mainly because there might be people who don't have radios that don't support a full house sailplane with camber changing, crow, snap flap, etc.
I'm not part of the racing crowd & generally fly lighter VTPP planes but do have a Minvector with flaps where crow mixing really helps. My lighter planes don't really need separate flap sections & I can shuttle between +/- full span flapperons to get a decent approach & spoil at almost any hill I've flown. One other good thing about flaps separated from ailerons though is that in a long span plane you can mix aileron function with flaps to get a different degree of control surface travel between the outboard & inboard portions of the wing to better match that deflection with the angular speed of the wing sections in a fast roll. I personally wouldn't bother with separate flaps in these new slopers being discussed here. Almost all current Tx's have lots of mixing included so that shouldn't be a big issue.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:01 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
The flaps sure help slow things down a bunch, and this helps planes survive a LOT longer. I think it is well worth the investment in a radio that will support our glider mixes.

But if you don't want flaps, just glue them to the aileron and have full span ailerons.

I have a family friend that wanted to get into the flying. I bought him a 9X radio and outfitted it with a FrSky moldule. For about $100 you end up with an 8 channel radio that will do all the glider mixes, has full telemetry and one of the most reliable RF systems available today. (OK, you will want to upgrade the 9X firmware, but you can probably find someone local to you that has a programmer sitting around...)

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
The flaps sure help slow things down a bunch
James, imagine how slow you could do laps if you had flaps and not just spoilerons.

-Jonathan
who knows he owes one of his heat wins to Jame's spoilerons.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:06 PM
Joined Jan 2005
749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twyl View Post
I think I'm leaning towards an Elf as well. If I got one, I might considering modifying it into a two piece wing though. My future may hold a bit more traveling in it and it would be cool to be as portable as possible.

-Jonathan
who does and doesn't want to know what a VTPP is...
It's just my term for VTPR that's done close in to the operator. Substitute "Pilote" for "Relief" in "Voltij Tres Pres du Relief" & you get VTPP. (Caution: Does not work in Polish). Bring a helmet!

Richard
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:54 PM
Ninja Master
Joined Feb 2007
1,766 Posts
I'm pretty sure the ailerons and flaps don't come per-cut. If others don't allready own a radio that will support a full house ship, I'm sure you can cut a full span aileron, or even short ailerons like the Speedo already has.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 02:57 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
I'm pretty sure the ailerons and flaps don't come per-cut. If others don't already own a radio that will support a full house ship, I'm sure you can cut a full span aileron, or even short ailerons like the Speedo already has.
Wayne said something about live hinges, so I think that would mean they are precut. That wouldn't necessarily mean the flaps have been separated from the ailerons though.

-Jonathan

EDIT: Check the build thread of the Mefisto (1.9m version) Wayne did. I'd imagine the wings would come very similarly.
Last edited by Twyl; Sep 26, 2012 at 03:03 PM.