SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:37 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopeaddict View Post
I have MOM'd before at Bill's hill down in Temecula and on my first outing took 2nd place in the foamy category (I only lost as Bill DelHagen called me on a questionable false start in the final) and had to go back. The fun ended really quick for me when I saw Bill's $800 Nemesis and the other guys Molded Ninja twisty wing turn into powder in mid-air. We did not have a vacuum to suck the dust up so we left most of it on the slope. I know these are Speedos but it is a pain for me to fly and repair over and over again. I am thinking that if I can get R2 to bend the fuselages just a little more I can actually use the "boomerang technique" to beat all of you guys. Just throw it by its wing and watch it come back by itself. No radio needed Glad you guys had fun. After all that is all its about
Fabio, while I hear you on the ol time and effort issue of repairing and rerepairing planes I don't think it's that much of an issue with the Speedo's. I don't think in all 5 of the MoM races so far we've killed a bird yet. Cracked a few wing saddles and dented a few wings, but definitely none vaporized and blown out to sea.

I think the fact that they are Cheapos Speedos is what sets them apart from the other MoM races. There is a big difference between risking a $$$$ plane and risking a $$ plane, and well, it's really tough to compare it to racing a foamy which is comparatively no risk at all. Oh, and I bet the jolly crew of men who come out to the Speedo MoM races are a much funnier and easier going bunch then you'd see at the $$$$ races.

-Jonathan

Speaking of vaporization here's a favorite clip of mine. If the whole thing is too long for you, skip ahead to 6:25ish

The Rock Ending (7 min 54 sec)
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:03 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,861 Posts
At the race I discussed with a few folks the possibility of upgrading to a better plane for the races. Most of this is my own frustration of doing business with R2, but let me paint a picture for you:

We start off with a 60" foam core wing that is sheeted with black poplar in a steam press. Not only is the wing sheeted, but it is fully sanded and shaped and sporting the S6063 airfoil. This thin (7%) airfoil should be quick yet forgiving. The wing also comes equipped with live hinges on the FLAPS and ailerons. Yep, you get flaps for easier landing and camber control. You also get a shaped and sanded X-tail that has a RUDDER. (Picture above is the thermal version with a V-tail.) I can supply you with a v-tail version if you rather have one. The fuselage is of high quality epoxy layup and should have enough space for a ballast tube and radio gear without pulling all your hair out.

The plane should be much more robust then the Speedo, and something you will enjoy flying all the time. It does take a bit more effort to build these planes, but they should last a lot longer than a Speedo. (I think most of us have either rebuilt or replaced our race planes a few times by now.)

I can offer these planes to the racers for $100. I should have one for test flights at the next race.

-Wayne

p.s. Best of all, the plane has a decent name, the Spin.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:12 PM
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jun 2008
4,647 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67econoline View Post
I know it will be tough ... Dick.
But I'm willing to give it a shot!!!

Rubio
He he I know what you mean !!!!
Dick J is offline Find More Posts by Dick J
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:22 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,311 Posts
Wayne, is that an Art Hobby design? It looks nice.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:29 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Hey Wayne, and to all in general.

Firstly, I really like the look of the new plane and it looks like for $100 you'll get a heckofalot more quality/bang for the buck. Do you have any timeline info you can share with us on:
1) When you expect to have the first prototype by and have some actual airtime on it so you know for sure how it flys,
2) When you expect to have enough quantity in stock to supply enough planes for a race, and
3) What would your re-order leadtime be if your initial stock moves quickly.

For upcomming races I wonder if it would be possible to run two events in parallel for both makes or maybe even run a two make MoM race instead with both Speedo's and Spin's duking it out. If one tends to fly much faster or outperform the other it might be possible to incorporate a handicap system, however maybe that wouldn't be such a good idea as a MoM race with out of sync planes is kind of a disaster waiting to happen.

Thoughts anyone?

-Jonathan

EDIT: Hey Wayne, the V-tail shows a removable tail which is really cool. Do you know if the horizontal for the x-tail will be removable or not?
Last edited by Twyl; Sep 24, 2012 at 08:42 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:32 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,647 Posts
Until I see it fly I ll stick with the Speedo, has proven itself over time !!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:38 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick J View Post
Until I see it fly I ll stick with the Speedo, has proven itself over time !!!
+1

Still hopeful though.

-Jonathan
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:49 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,356 Posts
A plane for a 100$.
That perks my ears!!
But I'm not an racer..

Rubio
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:58 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,861 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
Wayne, is that an Art Hobby design? It looks nice.
It is not, but they do have something similar for a lot more money. This is the Blejzyk Spin.

To answer Jonathon's questions, I currently have 6 slope versions on the way. They should be shipping from Europe very soon, along with a lot of other planes. I'm picking this plane as it is the lowest cost glider in the line up, and I think it will do very well.

If we made the switch over, I'd suggest we switched around March. (I'm guessing we have one more race this year, I doubt we could pull off a December event.) That would give time for everyone to get one, build it and get to know the plane.

I should be able to have 30 planes by November.

There is a nearly identical plane, the Elf. It feature a slip off nose cone. Actually, that might make a better race plane as they make for very easy ballast changes. The Elf is very similar the the Mefisto I'm currently building. (Check the build thread here in the slope section for lots of photos.) I think the Elf and Spin would fly the same, so we could let folks pick the plane they like best. The Elf costs a bit more, racer price would be $105.

-Wayne

Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:14 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
763 Posts
Group Picture

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRISME View Post
Here's a couple more.
Amazing, I got everyone in the frame! Wasn't too sure about that? Even got that empty chair too that some of you were talking to.

Richard
CFIMEI is offline Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Last edited by CFIMEI; Sep 24, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:18 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,647 Posts
Yes great job and we only had to stand there for 20 minutes he he Thanks for sharing the flying spot with us !!!!!
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:21 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIMEI View Post
Got that empty chair too that some of you were talking to.

Richard
ROFL! Richard, that comment is pure brilliance. I just about blew some coffee through my nose.

Thanks again for sharing your day with us. Loved your flying.

-Jonathan
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:26 PM
Joined Jun 2008
4,647 Posts
Im waiting for Johns coment !!!!! we had quite a discussion while they were being taken !!!!! he he
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:45 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Wayne, I'm up for either the Spin or the Elf. I would prefer the Elf, as I really like slip on noses. Like you said, easy ballast changes. Do they use the same wing, and simply have different fuses? Or is the wing different too?
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede