Old Dec 12, 2012, 04:42 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
It's not "stickied" anymore.
That's great, I'm glad we pulled through and were able to get out of such a sticky situation.

-Jonathan
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:50 PM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjaffee View Post
No, this week has not been typical. South or south-south-west winds won't work. It needs west or northwest, which is fairly common around 9 months of the year. Fall and early winter it can be less consistent, though.

You can fly on Santa Ana days, the wind tends to come from the north-east, which does not hit the hill dead on. Straight east works great, but there's almost always at least some north component to it.
Just flew Kanan during lunch today. NE wind probably 15-20. Had a blast and you are exactly right. It had enough North in it to keep it off-line. But there was a large updraft towards the north part of the ridge. Lots of fun.

I went to Wood Ranch yesterday and had a total "blast".

Thanks for sharing these greats spots with me. It looks like I have 2 spots that will allow me to fly in 90% of the average wind directions while I'm working up here.

--
John
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:38 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
763 Posts
Local Spots

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggamesta View Post
Just flew Kanan during lunch today. NE wind probably 15-20. Had a blast and you are exactly right. It had enough North in it to keep it off-line. But there was a large updraft towards the north part of the ridge. Lots of fun.

I went to Wood Ranch yesterday and had a total "blast".

Thanks for sharing these greats spots with me. It looks like I have 2 spots that will allow me to fly in 90% of the average wind directions while I'm working up here.

--
John
I met you yesterday at WRH. Rationalized a quick stop there again today with the wind almost exactly the opposite of yesterday. Flew the back side for 30 mins with lots of severe turbulence but pretty constant lift. Takes a quick, nimble plane to handle it - used the Hybrid - but the Zagi wing trainers should work too. Saw Willy from the SF Valley put up an Alula on the backside a few weeks back when conditions were waning radically & about to flip to the other side. I've been there several times when a high was dying where I was able to fly moderate backside & then switch to front with only a short ambivalent period between. No chance of that today though.

Richard
CFIMEI is offline Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Last edited by CFIMEI; Dec 19, 2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2012, 06:49 PM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIMEI View Post
I met you yesterday at WRH.

Richard
I wasn't sure if you were CFIMEI or not. It was nice meeting you in person. I'll definitely see you around.

--
John
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:22 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
OK - Bringing this back up as it is time to get our race series up and running again.

Hope you all had a great Holiday or two and are ready to come out and race some more.

I'd really like to push for Ortega before it gets too hot to fly at that site. Not many people have flown at this site, but it is an excellent site. Lift levels should work well for the Speedo. I have never seen it get super strong here, but almost always has plenty of lift. Could be one of the fastest Speedo race venues if we get it on a normal day. No hiking, fly from your car if you like. This site does not have a DS slope attached, but there may be some DS sites in the area. It is a very quiet site, you can typically hear the servos working in your plane. Views are amazing. Centerally located for the Riverside and OC folks. Might even attract some of those elusive Sandy Eggans. Will be a hell of a drive for our friends up North.

I also think we should hit Grass Valley one of these days, but will probably want to wait for that site to warm up.

So lets pick a day and then start a new thread to announce.

-Wayne

p.s. Three Elf Slope kits are in racers hands. Hopefully they will be able to bring them to the next race and they can show us all what these new planes can do.
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:57 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,496 Posts
Cool, there is still one Speedo trophy left!
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:22 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
Just announce the date and I'll be there Wayne. I should have no problem getting weekends off anymore. My Elf is so close to being finished. I haven't had much time for building since before Christmas, but all I really have left is radio installation. Check out my build thread here;

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1785198
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:43 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Cool, would be nice to get an event going again so we can give our brethren up north in the bay area some further incentive.

Oretega... sounds great, would love to visit the slope. That said, I am assuming Ortega is a prevailing wind slope. Are there any other sights close to there in case we have an odd wind day? I assume if Santa Ana's are blowing we could go elsewhere or even haul out to Browns Bluff.

Date... I think I will be fine with any date as long as I know enough in advance and can properly file my kitchen pass paperwork. Might have a business trip conflict the first weekend of Feb, but I'm guessing we'd be hard pressed to hold an event that quickly.

Elfs... any ETA for the next batch you will get in stock?

-Jonathan
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:58 PM
Ninja Master
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Feb 2007
1,771 Posts
If we could avoid the weekend of Feb 16 that would be nice. Torrey fun fly that day and I was planning on going there.
BigSwede is offline Find More Posts by BigSwede
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:14 PM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
I have not tried it, but you can just fly another face at Ortega if the wind is going backwards. Or like you said, maybe Browns would be an option.

Karl - thanks for the link!!

-Wayne
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 17, 2013, 03:26 AM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Pick a date, start a thread, they will come...

-Jonathan
saved from the 2nd page
Old Jan 17, 2013, 07:13 PM
USA, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Feb 2003
1,218 Posts
Ortega gonna be hard for me to make, so I'll be on the lookout for the Grass Mountain.

OKAY - I'm gonna start building my Elf...
macinr is online now Find More Posts by macinr
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:15 AM
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Anyone have a copy of the matrix? The Norcal guys could use a copy. Can you post a copy up here, or in their thread?

Thanks!!
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:49 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
Anyone have a copy of the matrix? The Norcal guys could use a copy. Can you post a copy up here, or in their thread?

Thanks!!
I believe it was based off of the SCSR matrix.

See: http://www.socalsloperacing.com/policy.htm

Many of the links are broken but they can be viewed through http://archive.org

See:
http://web.archive.org/web/200905100...m/info/mom.htm

-Jonathan