SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:41 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSwede View Post
Wayne, sign me up for one of the Elves. I've been thinking that we could race either the Faun or Elf against each other. I'm sure that neither would have a huge advantage over the other, maybe one would work better under certain conditions and vice versa.
I think you are right.. Any of the 1.5 meter planes from them should be pretty similar. There is a slight change in wing areas, but I think they all run the same airfoils.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: FrSky in Chicago!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:01 PM
Hump or Death?
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
I took a walk up to Kanan hill today during lunch. I only work 10 minutes away. The wind was coming form the south. Is that the normal direction for Kanan Hill?

I'm also looking for any other places to fly a couple of light-lift planes during lunch while I have to work up here. The shorter walk would be better too.

Thanks.

--
John
O.G. Gamesta is offline Find More Posts by O.G. Gamesta
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
United States, CA, Camarillo
Joined Jan 2005
762 Posts
Kanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oggamesta View Post
I took a walk up to Kanan hill today during lunch. I only work 10 minutes away. The wind was coming form the south. Is that the normal direction for Kanan Hill?

I'm also looking for any other places to fly a couple of light-lift planes during lunch while I have to work up here. The shorter walk would be better too.

Thanks.

--
John
It's best when westerly so that the bowl shape funnels the lift to the west-facing ridge. There is at least one video on a blog connected with this site somewhere showing flying on the east side during some kind of northeast flow.

Wood Ranch Hill is only about 4 miles line-of-site distance from Kanan but is about a 15 mile drive around the intervening terrain. If you are driving east from work to get to Kanan then your route to Wood Ranch would be likely less than the road distance between them. This place is commonly a lighter lift spot but is often solidly flyable. It can get very good at times too. Yesterday I put an hour on my Wasabi there, benefiting from the advancing weather front. Could do lots of close-in VTPP stuff as I had the place to myself.

There is a granny trail up to Wood's from the trail head parking that is said to be about 1/3 mile long. Then there is a shorter but much steeper trail directly up the face of the slope from the residential street at its base. Gets slippery for a few days after real rain.
CFIMEI is offline Find More Posts by CFIMEI
Last edited by CFIMEI; Nov 28, 2012 at 06:20 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
Brett
So Cal
Joined Apr 2002
5,305 Posts
Quote:
John
No, this week has not been typical. South or south-south-west winds won't work. It needs west or northwest, which is fairly common around 9 months of the year. Fall and early winter it can be less consistent, though.

You can fly on Santa Ana days, the wind tends to come from the north-east, which does not hit the hill dead on. Straight east works great, but there's almost always at least some north component to it.
bjaffee is online now Find More Posts by bjaffee
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:30 PM
Hump or Death?
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFIMEI View Post
Wood Ranch Hill is only about 4 miles line-of-site distance from Kanan...
So where is the Wood Ranch spot? I know the general area around Wood Ranch Parkway.

--
John
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:52 PM
Joined Jan 2005
762 Posts
Wood Ranch

Quote:
So where is the Wood Ranch spot? I know the general area around Wood Ranch Parkway.

--
John
It's just northeast of the intersection of Wood Ranch Pkwy & Long Canyon Road. There's a city provided parking lot to the southwest of the intersection. The dirt trail peels off of the sidewalk across the street, northeast, & winds gently up to the ridge. The other trail originates on Sycamore Grove St., 2 blocks north from the intersection on the east side of the WRP divided roadway. I park in the shade in front of one of the over sized houses, cross the street & scramble up.

The hill doesn't look like much from below. In fact the first time I tried to find it from info on the Thousand Oaks Soaring Society site I thought it was the wrong place. But it's surprisingly good & getting more popular than ever.
Last edited by CFIMEI; Nov 28, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:17 PM
Silent Flight
United States, CA, Cypress
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Can someone who knows where the actual flying site is and who can verify the Google Earth file I made let me know if it looks right? I couldn't find the trail head CIFME mentioned so if a clearer description could be made that would be nice.

-Jonathan
who likes adding new sites
Twyl is offline Find More Posts by Twyl
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:24 PM
Joined Jan 2005
762 Posts
Wrh

Jonathon,

Your picture is right on. You can clearly see the trail from the north sidewalk winding up there. The marker is correct for the main flying spot too. Under some conditions other places more northerly along the trail are also flyable. Backside is flyable with strong n.e.flow. The front face trail cannot be seen & may not have been blazed (by myself & local walkers) at picture time. The official parking lot is that gourd shaped area on the southwest side of the intersection. It is called trailhead parking as the Long Valley Hiking/Biking Trail starts there.
Last edited by CFIMEI; Nov 28, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:38 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
Thanks for the confirmation. I figured out the parking lot and the main trail up from the sidewalk, but the trail you mentioned before and now as "not being blazed" where on the map or pic does that start?

-Jonathan
who likes parking in the shade
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hump or Death?
Joined Oct 2012
386 Posts
Wood Ranch

It's a slightly longer drive from my office but it looks like a quicker ascent to the slope so it may be a wash.

I'm going to check it out tomorrow.

Thanks guys.

--
John
Old Nov 28, 2012, 07:52 PM
Joined Jan 2005
762 Posts
Front Face Trail

It runs between the sidewalk across the street from the 3rd house on the road curving east to north directly west of the hill & the spot you have marked for flying. There are many nondescript deer & coyote trails going all directions but the trail I use is now pretty distinct & direct with a few small hairpins. It wasn't there in '07 when this picture was shot. Even those deer & coyotes are now using it it is so good! I could clearly see it from the ridge west of the Bard Reservoir, a couple of miles away, when I was scouting another slope there a few weeks back.
Last edited by CFIMEI; Nov 28, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
Louisville, Colorado
Joined Nov 2003
782 Posts
Hey Guys,

We are doing a group buy for the NCSS club for the Speedos, and I wanted to extend the sale to you guys as well.

Speedo 1.2 : $57.79 (15% discount)
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/Spee...r_p/speedo.htm

Servo Package 1 Analog:
3 ION A-60 Retail $8.95 ea. Total $26.85 Discount price $7.16 ea. Total: $21.48 Discount 20%
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/ION_..._p/ion-a60.htm

Servo Package 2 Digital:
3 ION DS-57MG retail $19.95 ea. Total: $59.85 Discount Price $15.96 ea. Total:$47.88 20%
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/ION_...ion-ds57mg.htm

Battery: $12.95 Retail Discounted price $11.00 Discount 15%
http://www.skipmillermodels.com/700m...-4.8v-nimh.htm

We are also offering 15% off other radio gear.

Let me know if you are interested. Please call or email to order.

Cody Remington
Skip Miller Models
303-442-6454
cody@skipmillermodels.com
cody303 is offline Find More Posts by cody303
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:11 PM
It's not going to build itself
Aliso Viejo,CA
Joined Aug 2005
6,400 Posts
Thanks Cody!
Tom
TRISME is online now Find More Posts by TRISME
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:25 PM
Silent Flight
Joined Jul 2005
3,951 Posts
I think it's time to put a fork in this thread and call it done.

I'm voting for unstickyness, but hoping to see a new one sometime soon for the next SoCal event.

-Jonathan
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:33 PM
Livin ...The Endless Summer
United States, CA, San Juan Capistrano
Joined May 2011
7,181 Posts
Where will I post I'm going surfing...??

Rubio
67econoline is offline Find More Posts by 67econoline