HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:19 AM
RC plane addict ;-)
United Kingdom, England, Norwich
Joined Aug 2008
1,773 Posts
@ DeadServo

I've never found any one online store that can match Hobbykings prices and there product range,you might be able to find a few little online stores that might come close to there prices but from what i've read they can be even worse when it comes to shipping and whats in stock,as some will say they have it stock only for you to order and it's not even in stock so you end up waiting even longer.

I really don't think you will find anyone else out there that can compete with HK with there prices mate,if there was such a place you can bet most of us would already be going there,just wait and see how it turns out and don't let one order put you off,plus i normally use international airmail and get my parcels around the one week to a week and a half,or you could use EMS as that could speed things up a little for you,also you could see if the HK in the USA has what you need.

If you really can't wait a week or two for your hobby parts maybe the only other choice is your LHS as cold wombat has said,but using them will hurt that pocket of yours in the long run,been there done that and i won't use my LHS any more plus they were never local for me.

Plus it's not down to HK if the shipping companies can't get there act together,over all they do a good job IMO to get are parcels to the other side of the world in the time frame that they normally do.
startazz is offline Find More Posts by startazz
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:06 AM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadServo View Post
Just a quick update .... No dice yet

as of now its 12 days... seriously though.. where else do you guys buy all of your adapters and etc. Hobby king has a great selection but I generally like to get stuff pretty fast.

Cheers
Delivery time varies greatly. My last two orders were 30 days and 14 days. Both were sent unregistered air mail (cheapest). I've found that in general, using the registered option seems to make delivery quicker. Your batteries may be going Swiss Air which slows things down.

Try headsuprc.com for fast delivery. Ship same day from Florida.
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:35 AM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadServo View Post
Los Angeles
well, if Hobbypartz.com has what you need, grab it from them. Hobbypartz ships from your backyard, so you should get it within 2-3 days.

hobbypartz's prices aren't too far off from HK, and their shipping far makes up for it (free after 50)..

The only thing HK has over hopbbypartz is selection. HK can't be beat there.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:05 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
For that, you want your LHS. But quality and speed may vary.

Well that doesnt help... the whole point of ordering online for me was to get stuff the LHS would have to order anyhow.

Anyone ELSE have any recommendations for an online store that carries a decent amount of inventory like HK?
DeadServo is offline Find More Posts by DeadServo
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Ahh ... just saw the post about HobbyParts.. Thanks rcalldaylong!

Cheers
Old Sep 24, 2012, 05:21 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
I should say that the LHS is not an option... believe it or not I am having a heck of a time finding a decent shop thats within an hour or so. Everything that is close (within 30 min) is a very small mom and pop place. Feels bad to poo-poo the mom and pops but the selection was nonexistant. The didnt even know what a Beast 3D was... their response was "I dont know but we can find it and order it for you". Which is nice, but why would I have them ship it to the store than I have to drive there.. gimme a break.

So just for the hell of it I asked them how much to get the Beast.. and it was ofcourse more expensive than me just ordering it from HH.

Oh the joy! But yeah I may try HobbyKing one more time.. and use whatever shipping is fastest and see how that works out.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:11 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Jul 2011
294 Posts
Bottom line, shipping takes time. If you're buying a made in China item (which is pretty much the bulk of the market), either you buy it from a retailer that ships after you order and pay (such as HK), or you buy it from a retailer that ships before you order (LHS or other 'local' online business). Shipping first is speculative on the part of the retailer, and they have to jack up their prices to account for the cost of paying up front before its sold, and to cover the cost of material that will then sit on the shelves, sometimes for many months before it gets purchased. Given most peeps seem to be happy (by and large) with paying the lower price but waiting for shipping after purchase, any retailer with the opposite business model is going to find themselves under increasing cost pressures. There is a limit to how much stock they can afford to 'pre-ship' and how much of a premium they can charge like used to be the norm now that online purchasing is so easy.
cold wombat is offline Find More Posts by cold wombat
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:11 AM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold wombat View Post
Bottom line, shipping takes time. If you're buying a made in China item (which is pretty much the bulk of the market), either you buy it from a retailer that ships after you order and pay (such as HK), or you buy it from a retailer that ships before you order (LHS or other 'local' online business). Shipping first is speculative on the part of the retailer, and they have to jack up their prices to account for the cost of paying up front before its sold, and to cover the cost of material that will then sit on the shelves, sometimes for many months before it gets purchased. Given most peeps seem to be happy (by and large) with paying the lower price but waiting for shipping after purchase, any retailer with the opposite business model is going to find themselves under increasing cost pressures. There is a limit to how much stock they can afford to 'pre-ship' and how much of a premium they can charge like used to be the norm now that online purchasing is so easy.

I am aware of all this.. I just figured the shipping wouldnt of taken quite this long. I have ordered stuff from overseas... quite a bit of stuff actually video game related stuff, but from China, Japan.. you name it..... never took this long.

I think the reason most people are cool with it is that they are aware of the shipping situation with HK. I was not.. but for my next order .. I will be damned sure I dont need them anytime soon. For instance I just ordered some parts for my Blade 450x... granted I dont have one yet.. but I think at some point in my future I may get one.. and I am thinking at SOME point I may crash.. so given the shipping speed I figure I better order them now.. heeheh I Joke, I joke...

I'll show myself out..
Old Oct 25, 2012, 12:01 AM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
UPDATE!!!

Proud to say that I received my items today!! And like I figured I dont even need this stuff anymore. hahah...

I do have to say that it seems like its not HobbyKings fault... as I ordered some other FPV stuff from another oversees company and just like hobby King it was shipped very fast.. but then sat in some Customs area for quite a while.

Also.. when I ordered from the Hobby King USA warehouse.. things arrived pretty darn fast.

So anyhow.. thats the story... Sorta sad to see this thread die now. It was a part of me for so long I will miss it.

Cheers
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:30 AM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
I just got a notice from Hobby King that all 4 of my paid orders have now shipped! I guess that meens I should get my items in 3-4 months!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 25, 2012, 07:06 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,841 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldsworthy View Post
I just got a notice from Hobby King that all 4 of my paid orders have now shipped! I guess that meens I should get my items in 3-4 months!
That's just too long! how dare they!
Next time you need to buy everything from you LHS and show them who's boss!
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Oct 26, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
Its an easy solution... just get another hobby to distract you while the stuff ships from HK. Model trains are pretty neat!
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:03 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
One of my orders from last December just arived! ( a fomey) I will let ya know!
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Sep 2012
207 Posts
Quote:
One of my orders from last December just arived! ( a fomey) I will let ya know!

Just pour Hot water over it and your good to go
Old Oct 27, 2012, 02:56 PM
United States, FL, Avon Park
Joined Mar 2004
255 Posts
I made the mistake of including a lipo battery in my last order from HK.
Now orders usually come in about 12 days for me. My orders are all small light minium 6.00 for registered parcel, no planes or radios. My order took 24 days because Swiss post carried it around the world and then it sat in Long island NY for 8 days.
I included one 2200 lipo with my order because I didn't want to pay another shipping charge from another source, never again. In all fairness it is not HK's fault' its all the new regs on shipping lipos. I need two 1300 2s packs and they will come from Heads up RC.

Larry
Travler is offline Find More Posts by Travler