HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:36 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
263 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
They offered me $40 compensation to forget the whole thing. I'd think that it would be easier to send me an ARF from the U.S. warehouse and be done with it. I'd even be happy to ship the wings back to them.
Unfortunately Scott, your using logic..... and HK's after sales support guys dont roll that way!
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:06 AM
|Taranis|>|All other Tx's|
United States, WA, Richland
Joined May 2009
6,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GavDorro View Post
Unfortunately Scott, your using logic..... and HK's after sales support guys dont roll that way!
Well said.

I don't understand is why both the ARF and the PNP versions of have a link to spare parts -- but there are no spare parts, nor have there ever been spare parts.
I'm about ready to just buy an ARF and tell my kids they don't need milk for one month. (kidding about the milk)

Other than being a bit dicey hand launching with no wind -- it's a fantastic aircraft -- I just with I had more than (most of the) parts in a box. I suppose I could assemble what I have and effect a repair of some sort for the broken hatch and tail assembly. I hate to do that because if down the line they want a trade -- I won't have a virgin box of parts to trade with them.
scott page is offline Find More Posts by scott page
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:05 AM
Don't Panic!
Australia, WA, Baldivis
Joined Jul 2011
263 Posts
Hey Scott

As I could be accused of going off topic....
Can I direct you to here?
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1776213
Figured you may make some valid observations?? Comments?
GavDorro is offline Find More Posts by GavDorro
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:49 AM
Leeds/Bradford Leeds, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
I have just read the 100 plus pages regarding this model and still not sure if to go and purchase this model. The sound from this EDF is really cool and the chance to extend the flight time beyond the average 7/8 mins regarding the power off glides allso appeals to me but i have a few issues regarding getting your Zepher to you with out damage also the ability to launch it successfully with out a helper as i mainly fly alone and the ability to stall quite easily. I dont want to modify it to get more speed but prepared to do the mods regarding the various issues with the wing and having to re-glue the servos, etc. Would someone like to give me their thoughts on the Zepher before i decide.
glenbees is offline Find More Posts by glenbees
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:19 PM
I did it...
Morganton, NC
Joined Jun 2005
756 Posts
Hey all, quick question. I have a Change sun 4 blade and 10 blade, 70mm fan units just lying around. Can I use these with the stock motor/esc? Which would give better performance? I still run a 3S setup. I'm pretty sure the 10 blade would sound better. Anyone???
av8ersteve is offline Find More Posts by av8ersteve
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:21 PM
Joined May 2009
6,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by glenbees View Post
I have just read the 100 plus pages regarding this model and still not sure if to go and purchase this model. The sound from this EDF is really cool and the chance to extend the flight time beyond the average 7/8 mins regarding the power off glides allso appeals to me but i have a few issues regarding getting your Zepher to you with out damage also the ability to launch it successfully with out a helper as i mainly fly alone and the ability to stall quite easily. I dont want to modify it to get more speed but prepared to do the mods regarding the various issues with the wing and having to re-glue the servos, etc. Would someone like to give me their thoughts on the Zepher before i decide.
The zephyr is a hoot to fly.

Ya, it's a bit of a crap shoot to get one delivered intact - but I think if you order from your local warehouse you will be close enough to remedy any problems there. (they do carry it..right?)
Ordering this time of year from China would make me a bit more nervous unless they so something to add some cushioning to the ends of the box to allow for crush -- we all know that the next couple months shipping is going to be sort of dicey because of the "crush" of the holidays. I ordered mine via EMS which in my previous experience is the best way to order planes as they generally arrive in better shape than other options. Not so this time.

As for the hand launch -- 1. put something in the ear next to the model. 2. allow it to spool up before launching. 3. DO NOT throw UP at all. If you have a slight wind it's much much easier to launch. If not you'll need to keep the model low until it's up to speed and then raise it up - use just enough elevator to keep of off the deck - avoid ailerons or rudder so you don't slow the model until you're up to cruising speed. Once it's 20 meters out watch the speed increase and the needle on the fun meter move up dramatically as you yank and bank through your first turn.

I recommend this model provided you use the battery it's intended for and don't get crazy with mods. -- it's very well made, and has plenty of power -- but like all ducted fan models -- it's not fast getting to speed -- and don't stall it for heavens sake. You just don't have the thrust to recover from a low altitude stall.

If you plan to use the battery you happen to have on hand -- pass on this -- unless the battery is a 30C or better 3000 to 3600 mah 3 cell. Sure, you could use a 2200 and ballast -- but if you go with a 2200 you better have a 40C.

I'm sure somebody will say they are flying it with a 15C 5000 6 cell or some other nonsense -- but ignore that. There is not much room for variation -- literally. It's a very tight fit and the CG is fairly critical.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:32 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Thank you for your reply, regarding delivery I think the Uk warehouse has them in stock although the costing is in dollars. Regarding mods I only intent to fly it as recommended , just strengthen the wing mounts etc and I was going to try a 3s 3200 35c pack I have in my workshop. One more question, does the fan need balancing or run it as it comes. Their is a few bad reviews regarding this model but their is a awfull lot videos on you tube so a hell of a lot of people must be buying this model,
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:09 PM
Joined May 2009
6,545 Posts
Quote:
Thank you for your reply, regarding delivery I think the Uk warehouse has them in stock although the costing is in dollars. Regarding mods I only intent to fly it as recommended , just strengthen the wing mounts etc and I was going to try a 3s 3200 35c pack I have in my workshop. One more question, does the fan need balancing or run it as it comes. Their is a few bad reviews regarding this model but their is a awfull lot videos on you tube so a hell of a lot of people must be buying this model,
My fan did not need balancing, however I started it up slow the first time and gradually brought it up to full power. I think the blades "stretch" a bit or deform with the higher speed and if they come up slowly they will wear off any spots that make contact. If you just slam them to full throttle right off the fan could sustain a bit of damage -- as there is no tolerance between the fan blade and the case.

the bolts that stick out of the bottom of the wing tend to catch on grass from time to time making for an abrupt stop. Consider using a packing tape to hide them a bit as the plane slides on landing. A bit more time and a skid could be fashioned to hide them as aileron linkage is hidden. (wow, this would be a good time for a 3D printer).
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
It seems that the UK warehouse as not got it in stock so I have to decide if to order from the Europe warehouse.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 09:43 AM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Are the stock servos okay to use are would i be better replacing with a better brand.
Old Nov 30, 2012, 11:04 AM
UK Commercial RPAS Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,611 Posts
It will be available from the UK Warehouse probably next week, they are already in fact there but not as yet listed, as for the servo's, they are MG and I have never had one fail myself (after hundreds of hours of flying the Zephyr).
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Nov 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined May 2009
6,545 Posts
Quote:
Are the stock servos okay to use are would i be better replacing with a better brand.
If you are using stock power and 3S you should be just fine. They seem very good to me.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 01, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Phoenix, wish I knew that as I have just ordered one from the German warehouse so hopefully will not sustain any damage in transit. When I tried to order from UK warehouse it directed me to the euro warehouse. Never mind still looking forward to it arriving , says 4 to 7 days we will see. Save me looking through the thread again apart from checking servos , think I will glue the wings on and add some skids what is the ultimate set up regarding Cg, control throw , expo and does anybody use the rudder much when flying.
Old Dec 03, 2012, 01:51 AM
Joined May 2009
6,545 Posts
Spare Parts

After a long wait, there are finally spare parts in the International warehouse. Seems to be limited numbers -- but at least these have arrived, and hopefully will be replenished soon.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Jun 2003
1,556 Posts
Received my zephry today. No damage at all and really pleased with overall quality for the price you pay. Going to check all servos glue the wings on as transport is no problem and devise some wing skids for landing. Will report back if anybody is interested.,