HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:29 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Aug 2012
71 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
Discussion
Why are things so horribly expensive here?

I've been noticing a lot lately, that some sellers expect an aweful lot for their used products. Heck, even if the item is new, I wouldn't expect to pay new price, but yet on here, it seems acceptable. I'm not complaining about it...I am just very curious as to how an online market like this becomes this inflated?

**disclaimer** those who are offering awesome deals, of course this does not include you!
drakison is offline Find More Posts by drakison
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:04 PM
United States, NC, Faison
Joined Jan 2011
683 Posts
Trader Rating: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakison View Post
I've been noticing a lot lately, that some sellers expect an aweful lot for their used products. Heck, even if the item is new, I wouldn't expect to pay new price, but yet on here, it seems acceptable. I'm not complaining about it...I am just very curious as to how an online market like this becomes this inflated?

**disclaimer** those who are offering awesome deals, of course this does not include you!
What exactly do feel is inflated? I have over 800.00 in a helicopter been hovered 3 times and have all the boxes with the price tags on them. I'm asking 500.00 bucks BNF. I get a message stating that I am asking to much for my heli. Maybe I should lower it 2.00 so somoneone would just take it off my hands! Sorry but you struck a bad note with me. Nobody has the right to tell another seller that there item is not worth what they are selling it for. Just move on and look for that steal of deal that your looking for. Not all of us are hard up for cash and my heli can sit unused till I have to flake the rust off the berrings before I give it away.
rjstrickjr is offline Find More Posts by rjstrickjr
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:06 PM
some call me macgyver....
United States, OK, Shawnee
Joined Feb 2012
730 Posts
Trader Rating: 147
Sellers have the right to sell for whatever price they feel. If u don't like the price hit the back button.
bethelflier8036 is offline Find More Posts by bethelflier8036
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: my son is cancer free
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
my Head is Spinning!!!
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2012
984 Posts
Trader Rating: 108
If you don't like the price don't buy it. Nobody is making you pay the high price. If you do ask the seller to lower the price, please be polite. Sellers have the right to ask for what they want.

IMHO this place has the best deals!

Helldiver is offline Find More Posts by Helldiver
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2012
3,265 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
This is why I don't even try to sell my high end RC stuff here. You pay $300.00 for a item use it 1 time find out its not for you. You put it for sale here and someone wants to buy the item for $50.00 and you pay shipping as well. I just toss my expensive RC stuff on the closet shelf and forget about it. Its just too much hassle let the buyers pay full retail and shipping for wanted items like I do.
goldsworthy is offline Find More Posts by goldsworthy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, SD, Sioux Falls
Joined Aug 2012
71 Posts
Trader Rating: 9
This is what I was afraid of...starting a flame war....I'm not talking about this kinda stuff at all. The stuff I'm talking about is when something that is $300 new...comes on a post here for $290. I don't expect to pay 100 bucks for a $300 that is used once...but I also don't expect to pay $275. I didn't mean to strike a chord with the guys offering deals such as the heli mentioned above.

I'm not looking for a steal of a deal, and I agree 100% with you guys above. I also have some very high end RC trucks that I have over $1500 bucks each into. Some guy offered me $250 for the pair...I am on the same page....those guys that expect that are idiots.

Again...I apologize if I have offended anyone with the post....I was just more curious as to how the new or barely used market is somewhat inflated on *some* products....not all.
drakison is offline Find More Posts by drakison
Last edited by drakison; Sep 19, 2012 at 12:45 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 03:30 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,589 Posts
Trader Rating: 63
'Mirror selling'-how much would you want if YOU were selling an item???

I see it all the time-"he wants too much",and then you want more when you resell.

The only things I see on here overpriced are the kits no longer in production.A $75 kit going for $300 because it's old? That is your choice to buy or not.....

But in defense of the average seller,RCG prices are very reasonable...and available..Don't forget available....you can usually find anything you want here without expending any effort.
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Just thinking out loud
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Feb 2012
730 Posts
Again if that seller wants to sell it for that price n he gets it more power to him. It's not up to u to say he is right or wrong. Most stuff like that won't sell. People just simply hit the back button. There has been post just like this one over n over. Just move on to the next or shoot the guy an offer. He will either take it or decline it. If I want a $100 for a $10 motor I'm probably not goin to sell it. But that's my choice not urs. This is America baby
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:53 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,322 Posts
Trader Rating: 52
One word: "Negotiate".

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:55 PM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
5,052 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
3 primary reasons, as I see it.
1- To maximize the expected lo-balling
2- Wiggle room
3- John Q. I'llpaythat.

Have you ever known someone to contact a seller about his $250 price saying, "I'd like to pay you $400"?
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:51 PM
Closed Account
Joined Sep 2011
1,657 Posts
Trader Rating: 30
If you find that you can get something for less elsewhere then just PM the person and ask if they'd be willing to take less for the item. I very rarely ask a person to go down on their price unless I know that I can, not only get it somewhere for cheaper, but that the item is also in stock. I've never had anyone act rude towards me for making an offer...even if they didn't accept it.
ClosedAccount is offline Find More Posts by ClosedAccount
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by {}{steve}{} View Post
If you find that you can get something for less elsewhere then just PM the person and ask if they'd be willing to take less for the item. I very rarely ask a person to go down on their price unless I know that I can, not only get it somewhere for cheaper, but that the item is also in stock. I've never had anyone act rude towards me for making an offer...even if they didn't accept it.
Ya what this guy said...
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:18 PM
Suspended Account
United States, CT, Hartford
Joined Jun 2009
5,336 Posts
Trader Rating: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethelflier8036 View Post
Ya what this guy said...
ditto him and the others. Buyers can ask what they want. If you want it for less, ask nicely. If you want to try to help and point something out in terms of price, send a PM.
porcia83 is offline Find More Posts by porcia83
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:49 PM
United States, MS, Hattiesburg
Joined Nov 2011
42 Posts
Trader Rating: 4
I will say that I was pleased to find that there are no negative comments/harassment about sellers in their own threads. I have yet to sell anything on this forum but it appears that the seller can instantly delete "comments from the peanut gallery". I once frequented a motorcylce race forum and it was just a constant barrage of negativity from internet trolls. Very irritating indeed. But what I do like about internet forums it the ability to turn the page and move on. Capitalism at its finest
Southern335 is offline Find More Posts by Southern335
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:58 PM
Never Under estimate the power
United States, MA, North Attleboro
Joined May 2011
185 Posts
Trader Rating: 8
There is a basic truth to keep in mind.

Any item is worth exactly what someone is willing to pay for it.

If the item sells at or near the asking price then clearly someone thought it was a good deal.

On the flip side, if you need to relist, bump or otherwise continue to keep your listing near the top because you aren't getting any offers, maybe you're asking too much. Regardless of what you have in it.
RickSide is offline Find More Posts by RickSide