HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 28, 2003, 01:37 AM
Registered User
Arizona
Joined May 2002
10 Posts
Which Futaba 9C for right-handed DLG?

Iím 90% sure that my next radio will be a Futaba 9C. The only question remaining is which configuration is best for a right-handed DLG flier?

I thought I had this sorted out, having read a few places that the switch locations on the 9CH made it better suited for sailplanes. Is this also the case for DLG? I'm confused because recently I read comments in this forum from a left-handed DLG flier (Leverick) indicating that the 9CH switches were ideally located for him (as a left-hander). So, before I order the wrong configuration, can someone help straighten me out on this?

(Also, I had started off saying that I was 90% sure about the 9C. The other 10% is still thinking about the Airtronics RD8000 so if thereís anyone out there who can make a direct comparison between the two for DLG, it would be much appreciated.)

Thanks in advance for your help.
jkirch is offline Find More Posts by jkirch
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2003, 12:49 PM
Landings are not optional
DeuceTrinal's Avatar
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
I know that many guys like the 9C in the helicopter version, because it puts the spring switch on thye left side, great for launch preset.

I don't know the differences between the 9c and the RD8000, I would take the 9c just because all my planes are negative shift.

I do know that Mark Drela flys the RD8000. Not that that menas it's beter, just that it is as capable as the 9C.

Go to a LHS and hold em both, play with the switches, programming, etc. That's the best way to find which fits you best.
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 02:25 PM
Registered User
Cambridge, MA USA
Joined May 2001
1,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DeuceTrinal
I don't know the differences between the 9c and the RD8000, I would take the 9c just because all my planes are negative shift.

I do know that Mark Drela flys the RD8000. Not that that menas it's beter, just that it is as capable as the 9C.
For the record, I fly with the RD6000. The RDxxxx radios are shift-selectable, so they will work with your negative-shift RX's.

I don't know much about the 9C, but I think the RD6000 works quite well for DLG. The only real limitation is that there are only two free mixers. With a flaperon DLG, you have only one mixer left for doing the launch preset. Hence, you can preset only the elevator or the rudder, but not both. I have elevator preset, since my DLGs don't really need a rudder preset.

I'm now switching over the the Royal Evo, which is almost a perfect DLG radio -- it will do any setup you can dream of. One example: I have the aileron->rudder coupling dependent on the flap position. There's very little coupling with the
flaps up, and a lot of coupling with the flaps all the way down. The right stick then has good roll control for any flap position.
markdrela is online now Find More Posts by markdrela
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2003, 06:26 PM
Landings are not optional
DeuceTrinal's Avatar
Van Nuys, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by markdrela
For the record, I fly with the RD6000.
DOH! That's what I get for not checking beafore posting...

I too am migrating to the Royal Evo 9. (Christmas rocks!) I think it'll probably be the last radio I need for a very long while - it does just about anything.
DeuceTrinal is offline Find More Posts by DeuceTrinal
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Programming Futaba 9C for the Omega 1.8 Salmon-Run Electric Sailplanes 7 Apr 20, 2005 04:28 PM
How to set up a Futaba 9C for 3D. dblades Radios 3 Apr 22, 2004 08:21 AM