HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by 7oneWo1f, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:20 AM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,426 Posts
Discussion
HK Slick

I bought a hobby king slick when they first came out, and I finally got around to building it. It is actually a nice flyer, and it's too bad the scheme was copied from 3DHS's AJ Slick. However, HK does have the plane available in another scheme.

Here is a video of the second flight, after an incomplete first trim flight, and in windy conditions.

2nd flight 3D HK Slick (4 min 51 sec)

The included control hardware is not as good as Extreme Flight planes, and I had two different problems on maiden day. On the maiden flight, the control arm slipped out of the ez-link on one of the ailerons. On a later flight, the control arm slipped about 1/4" on the elevator. In both cases I was able to get the plane down safely.

One other problem I had was the battery got tossed even though it was secured with velcro and two straps. This plane can do some extreme tumbling generating lots of g-forces. Make sure your battery straps are very good. See this for battery toss:

battery toss (2 min 21 sec)

Other than that, the plane flies pretty good considering the low cost of the setup. When it's too windy to risk an Extreme Flight plane, I'll take this one up.

Unless hobbyking starts selling parts for the plane, however, I don't recommend the plane unless you're on a budget, or can afford to buy an extra airframe in the event of a crash.

The HK slick does a lot well, but the harriers seem to suffer from wing rock, although Michael Wargo says its due to pilots not maintaining adequate speed.

Even so, I am able to harrier my 48" MXS without wing rock slower than the slick, and the MXS is no Edge--it's a more of an extra.

I'm thinking about adding vortex generators HK slick rudder to see if that helps. Others have experimented with a larger rudder. And if you use the stock control arms, make sure you file rough flats on the control arms, and torque the ez-link screws down very tight.

Also, with a 14x7 prop, I was having trouble doing waterfalls--I have to learn to compensate from the torquie setup. I think I'll be able to get waterfalls down on this plane after I get used to flying with the larger prop. On planes this size, I usually fly with a 12x6 prop.

Here is the second flight. The first flight was an incomplete trim flight, cut short by the ailerong control arm slipping out of the ez-link. I was surprised at the performance of this plane.

Setup:

Prop: APC 14x7
Servos: Savox 0255MG.
Battery: Gens Ace 25c 2200 mAh batteries
ESC: Turnigy Plush 60 amp speed controller
Motor: Turnigy SK3 3548 700 kv motor (you will need mating bullet connectors for the ESC)
BEC: Castle Creations 10 Amp BEC set to 6V
Receiver: Orange 6 ch. with satellite (3 stars, good value in quiet rural environment, I wouldn't use on a highly valued plane, though I've never had any problems)
Controller: Spektrum DX18 (4 stars—expensive, sound UI issues, outstanding otherwise.)
Airframe: HK Slick 1300mm (3 stars, copied scheme, inferior hardware, shipping too expensive, not a good value compared to Extreme Flight planes. However, the covering was well done, the cowling and wheel pants were good. The landing gear is aluminum, which has its pluses and minuses.)

If you get the plane, you might consider getting the blue one without the 3DHS scheme

You could also save some money on the servos and get the Turnigy TGY-2216MG servos. They appear to be the same specifications as the Savox servos mentioned above, with the same case and different top, but they are a little more noisey than the Savox, which are also noisy.
7oneWo1f is online now Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:04 AM
United States, CA, Hughson
Joined Jan 2012
1,092 Posts
Might fly good.............,,,but it's no 3DHS SLICK!!!
hertzrepkeith is offline Find More Posts by hertzrepkeith