HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Justwingit, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:32 PM
We got some flyin' to do!
United States, CA, Fort Irwin
Joined Apr 2012
4,441 Posts
Discussion
Saturday with the Spad...

Here's some pics from this weekend's latest sorties out at the dry lakebed.

Fellow RCGroups member hillbille was at it again, and got some excellent snaps of the ol' Able Dog as I put her through her paces down at Calico dry lakebed this past Saturday.

I flew 4 2200's though her for about 40 minutes of flight time; this model just flys like a dream . Bring her into the wind with flaps and slow, low passes are sooo much fun !

Bill even shot some video, which I've attached here as well:

Johns Skyraider Calico 09 15 2012 (1 min 3 sec)

The link to all of the pictures from Saturday's Skyraider outing is here: http://www.bakehead.com/09_15_12/Joh...9_15_2012.html

I'll have to start flying this old girl more often as I haven't been down to the dry lakebed for awhile and forgot how much fun this model really is

Cheers all and happy flying !
Justwingit is offline Find More Posts by Justwingit
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Sep 16, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:16 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Great Photographer looks about a real as it gets.
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89
Old Sep 27, 2012, 08:02 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,441 Posts
Thanks Weed!

That's fellow RCGroups member hillbille; you should check out the rest of his work at his website bakehead.com...outstanding!

Cheers !
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:29 AM
Love Flying History
United States, VA, Front Royal
Joined Sep 2011
768 Posts
Awesome action shots John. Looks like you had a ball.
mustangloyd is online now Find More Posts by mustangloyd
Old Oct 06, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,441 Posts
Sure did Loyd!

With that model's landing gear, the dry lakebed is a perfect place for it. Nice long take-offs and landings....

The P-factor caught me little off guard in the video...it's been a long time since I had her in the air Flying the PZ T-28 with the nose gear kinda spoils you, and of course the Wildcat just gets tossed into the air ...

Can't wait to get back down there....been out in the desert playing Army the last couple of weeks...

I was just thinking of PM'ing you...hope all is well and you're getting your birds in the air. I'll bet fall must be in full swing out there in Virginia.

Happy flying my brother,
John
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:23 PM
Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit View Post
Here's some pics from this weekend's latest sorties out at the dry lakebed.

Fellow RCGroups member hillbille was at it again, and got some excellent snaps of the ol' Able Dog as I put her through her paces down at Calico dry lakebed this past Saturday.

I flew 4 2200's though her for about 40 minutes of flight time; this model just flys like a dream . Bring her into the wind with flaps and slow, low passes are sooo much fun !

I'll have to start flying this old girl more often as I haven't been down to the dry lakebed for awhile and forgot how much fun this model really is

Cheers all and happy flying !
Hey John, very nice flying!

I got mine last July but not really happy with the speed and I noticed you are flying 4S. I have been flying 3S Nano Tech 70C batteries and thought that would be about as much battery as it could take. Did you have to change out your ESC to handle 4S? The only thing I noticed which really improved performance, which I found out by mistake is I had a prop strike on landing which broke 1 blade so I just snapped off the other side and was impressed how much better it flew as a 2 blade prop. It sucks as it ruins the scale appearance but I would think on 4S it would scream.

P.S. what does you ball cap say, I collect hats (which is what my wife says!) and its hard to find a low profile cap.

Thanks,

Dennis
USMC 86-90
DForbes is offline Find More Posts by DForbes
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:45 PM
Joined Apr 2012
4,441 Posts
Dennis,

Actually I'm flying her on 35C - 40C 3S2200's....not 4S. I said "4 2200's", meaning 4 batteries. Sorry for the confusion. I'm one of those that's really happy with the model just the way it is. The Spad was an anachronism; a dinosaur living in the jet age. She was slow but agile, which is what this model is. Scott even mentioned it in his promo video, that the model really gets along nicely around 2/3rds throttle and nice, graceful climbouts are easily achieveable around 80% throttle. I only go to full with her when I want to loop, which I make as large and round as possible. Scale rolls look the best around 75-80% throttle. I like the scale four blader prop as I fly it nice and slow anyway....

My hat is an old "Surefire" flashlight hat; a special Army edition with the Army logo on the back.....got it before we went to Afghanistan (the first time) and not even sure if you can get 'em now as it's several years old.

Semper Fi brother,
John
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Justwingit; Feb 04, 2013 at 08:51 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 01:02 AM
Happy safe flying :-)
United Kingdom, Liverpool
Joined Jan 2013
405 Posts
Justwingit,

Nice video and photos look cool!
Is this model ok to take off\ landing on grass with stock wheels (a bit rough)? I'm thinking to get this model or the pz p-47...

Thanks,
richard

QUOTE=Justwingit;22752637]Here's some pics from this weekend's latest sorties out at the dry lakebed.

Bill even shot some video, which I've attached here as well:

Johns Skyraider Calico 09 15 2012 (1 min 3 sec)

The link to all of the pictures from Saturday's Skyraider outing is here: http://www.bakehead.com/09_15_12/Joh...9_15_2012.html

Cheers all and happy flying ![/QUOTE]
richard1971 is online now Find More Posts by richard1971
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:01 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,441 Posts
Richard,

I really think this model prefers hard-packed runways....as QyB said on the Skyraider thread, I think she'd be prone to noseovers and therefore broken props...

Just please, make sure you're ready for her and not buying on impulse because she looks cool. It really does fly in an extremely scale fashion and if you're not used to scale warbirds you might be in for quite a surprise

John
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:32 AM
Joined Jan 2013
405 Posts
Thanks John, I might go with the pz p-47 for now then, maybe this plane will be after I have enough experience with the pz p-47 (I believe pz warbirds quite straight forward from stock and more bigginer friendly :-)
Any thoughts on pz p-47 on not so smooth grass field runway? wish all warbirds flies like archer! :-)
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2012
4,441 Posts
I'm sure the folks on the PZ P-47 thread will have tons more insight on that...

I suspect she'll do fairly well (most PZ models do), provided the grass isn't in the Serengeti length catagory...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:22 PM
Joined Jan 2013
405 Posts
haha, the longer the grass the safer it is for a bad landing I guess...
Cheers mate!

:/

provided the grass isn't in the Serengeti length catagory...[/QUOTE]
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:33 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Aug 2012
1,270 Posts
Richard...the P-47 is a pussycat.....will just about launch from an open palm of your hand....and will land like a feather...The Spad flys like a Heavy warbird/Tail Dragger.., Dont think you could hand launch it if you wanted..
.the 2 planes fly nothing alike...except they are warbirds

but the Spad fly very nice Scale wise
Weed89 is offline Find More Posts by Weed89