HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:36 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Discussion
FMS Rafale from Banana Hobby

Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this hobby and have just purchased a FMS Rafale from BH. I didn't do much research and know nothing about flying before I purchased the jet.

After buying and now waiting for it to arrive, I've done some research and have a few concerns that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

1. I bought a RTF kit, and I'm not sure if I should invest more money to get a better TX.

2. with no flying experience, did I purchase the wrong first plane? I'm afraid that once I take it out and get it airborne, I'll just end up crashing it and getting turned off from flying.

3. Should I purchase a simulator to practice on before flying the new jet?

4. Is the supplied TX going to be that bad, or will it be good enough to learn on?

Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated.

JF
FU777 is offline Find More Posts by FU777
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:48 PM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FU777 View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm brand new to this hobby and have just purchased a FMS Rafale from BH. I didn't do much research and know nothing about flying before I purchased the jet.

After buying and now waiting for it to arrive, I've done some research and have a few concerns that I'm hoping someone can help me out with.

1. I bought a RTF kit, and I'm not sure if I should invest more money to get a better TX.

You bought the wrong model to learn on. You need a high wing trainer like a foam Cessna or Cub. Yes! if you want to really learn how to fly RC planes..You need to invest in a quality programmable Tx like a Spectrum 5 or 6 channel.

2. with no flying experience, did I purchase the wrong first plane? I'm afraid that once I take it out and get it airborne, I'll just end up crashing it and getting turned off from flying.

Put it on the shelf till you learn to fly

3. Should I purchase a simulator to practice on before flying the new jet?

You should purchase a Sim for any type of model. Especially as a rookie. They are an invaluable tool that will save you Hundreds of dollars in the long run.

4. Is the supplied TX going to be that bad, or will it be good enough to learn on?

The Tx that comes with the model should be toosed. An experienced pilot can make that model fly with the supplied Tx..but then again...and experienced pilot would not use that type of Tx

Any thoughts or hints would be appreciated.

JF
Seriously...Join a club. None that I know of charge to teach you. Listen to the instructor and purchase the plane that he recommends. Be sure to team up with an instructor close to your age if possible. Even better try to find an instructor that shares the same interest in planes as you do.

Jets are not that hard to fly..But only after you KNOW how to fly. Funny enough..My second model was a rafale. I loved that plane!

All the best! and welcome to the forums.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:04 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
Thanks for the response! I think I'll invest in a simulator first and see how that goes. I'll also look into some clubs close to home.

Appreciate your input, looking forward to learning!!
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:51 PM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
So I bought the Spektrum DX5E and plan on using it with Clearview simulator. Are there any other suggestions that you can think of for a newb?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:55 AM
High Dynamic Thrust
United States, FL, Mt Dora
Joined Feb 2007
2,256 Posts
go to a club and speak to their instructors. become familiar with safe flying practices. you'll learn quicker flying the real deal vs a simulator, with an instructor.

here, http://www.modelaircraft.org/membership/clubs.aspx

click on " find a club" for your location. i highly suggest joining the ama, plus all sanctioned clubs require it. its good insurance and a great organization to belong to.
stoneenforcer is offline Find More Posts by stoneenforcer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 09:02 PM
Atlanta, GA
Joined Mar 2009
886 Posts
It's so hard to be patient when you have a new plane in your possession. You can try flying it but your first flight will probably be it's last flight unless you get some experience with trainer aircraft and a simulator. I'm speaking from experience because I've crashed a lot of EDF aircraft. The funny thing is that I've flown RC Helis for years and might have one crash a year but when I started flying jets I was crashing almost weekly. That makes the hobby incredibly expensive and frustrating until you improve your skill level enough to minimize your tendency to crash.
Double E is offline Find More Posts by Double E
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
Should've, Would've, Could've
United States, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,515 Posts
FU777 if you don't have access to a club as sometimes some are not within driving distance it is possible to learn on your own. I wad a self taught pilot who also wanted to fly those big edf that everyone had and looked awesome, but I was patient and flew an easystar (not pretty) but it was a very good 1st plane. Then to a parkzone cub then a parkzone mustang. It takes time a patience to take those gradual steps. So like the others said out that jet on the shelf and when your comfortable flying at least a 3-4ch plane then you may be ready. Keep following this forum and you'll gain a wealth of knowledge and when you do crash (it will happen) don't let it deter you. Welcome!
v8truckin is offline Find More Posts by v8truckin
Old Sep 22, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Sep 2012
7 Posts
thanks for everyone`s comments. i think i`m going to try flying on the simulator for a while, and once i feel comfortable then i`ll look into joining a club and getting an easier trainer plane to learn on. does anyone have any suggestions on what a good trainer is....
Old Sep 22, 2012, 10:25 AM
"Take Off" eh!
Canada, ON, Beeton
Joined Aug 2008
3,017 Posts
Save your money on the trainer till you are told by the instructor what to get. At our clubs in Southern Ontario.. The student can fly as long as they wish on the Club's trainer. They are only asked to bring fuel with them. When they are ready to learn how to takeoff and land, then they must bring their own plane. The instructor will recommend a plane that is best suited to your style. I learned on a H9 PTS Mustang. Flew it many years after getting my wings.
vettster is offline Find More Posts by vettster
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Im selling my 220mph jet
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Mar 2012
685 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FU777 View Post
thanks for everyone`s comments. i think i`m going to try flying on the simulator for a while, and once i feel comfortable then i`ll look into joining a club and getting an easier trainer plane to learn on. does anyone have any suggestions on what a good trainer is....
Cubs and Cessna style are good planes, but my opinion is to make sure it's
4 channel(elevator, rudder, alierons and throttle). And tricycle landing gear is easier too. And stay away from Ultra Micros for a while because they generally
can't handle the wind. After false starts with a UM Cub, and a cheap Cessna
I invested in a Flyzone Sensei. It's very stable, has good glide characteristics,
and VERY sturdy wheels. The only downsides I've had is the fact that it has a 58"
wingspan and my field is small, and the $58 price tag on the batteries.
Valkpilot is offline Find More Posts by Valkpilot