Closed Thread
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:39 PM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,076 Posts
Poll
Winter indoor meeting poll

There has been interest shown for holding winter club meetings on Sundays while doing our indoor flying to generate attendance.

AYE

NAYE
knighttwister is offline Find More Posts by knighttwister
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:56 PM
T.R. miller
USA, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2008
589 Posts
Naye

Like Monday night but maybe start at 6.
tr miller is offline Find More Posts by tr miller
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:17 PM
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
naye 6 is better
alberteric is offline Find More Posts by alberteric
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:52 PM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Nov 2004
401 Posts
i like 6pm start time also, plus we still would need to find a place for indoor flying.
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:37 PM
Joined Sep 2011
86 Posts
naye
Monday at 6 would work good for me
tomle is offline Find More Posts by tomle
Old Oct 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,076 Posts
this thread is now a month old. i believe that is enough time to give everyone a chance to offer their opinion.
therefore we should entertain opinions until November second.. after that, we should decide one way or the other on which path to take.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 08:50 PM
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
Joined Oct 2003
49 Posts
I think having the meetings on Mondays is probably better, 6 or 7. For me, it takes almost 30 to 35 minutes to get there from Oshkosh. It's too bad that the only people commenting on the time are those who usually come to the meeting anyway. It would be interesting to hear from those who don't go the meetings and what times or day would fit for them and if changing the time would even matter.
hattrick2 is offline Find More Posts by hattrick2
Old Oct 19, 2012, 05:02 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,076 Posts
i guess seeing as no one wants to hold them on sunday, we should turn it into a general question on what we can do to get them there.
maybe a mass e-mail to get their opinion.
Last edited by knighttwister; Oct 19, 2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old Oct 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
Shiocton, Wisconsin
Joined Dec 2006
184 Posts
ok. I don't come to every meeting. I am eather going to work at work or just getting out at 6pm.
riterudder59 is offline Find More Posts by riterudder59
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:50 PM
Greenville WI
Joined Jul 2007
607 Posts
Maybe the question isn't what time to have the meetings but whether to have them at all. I checked the wisconsin statute for non-stock corporations, which we are, and here is what it says with regards to regular meetings.

181.0701  Annual and regular meetings.
(1)  Annual meetings. A corporation with members shall hold annual meetings of members at a time stated in or fixed in accordance with the bylaws.
(2) Membership meetings. A corporation with members may hold regular membership meetings at the times stated in or fixed in accordance with the bylaws.

Based on this, perhaps we should switch to more meaningful quarterly meetings.

To make this work we'd also want to change the bylaws to give current club officers increased power and purchasing ability as longs as the expenses are pre-approved by the Treasurer.

Maybe it's time to shake things up a bit as what we have is clearly not working. Perhaps if we hold 4 meetings a year instead of 12 more would be willing to attend.

Also, we should consider scheduling firm training dates/times at the various fields so that if new members inquire about joining, training, we can give them dates. This now helps to move much of the effort of the meetings to the field instead which is where everyone wants to be.

Tim
timflight1 is offline Find More Posts by timflight1
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:05 PM
Joined Feb 2008
5 Posts
good idea tim
alberteric is offline Find More Posts by alberteric
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:11 PM
Chris Zangl, VAM President
Joined Nov 2004
401 Posts
Sounds like a valid idea. I think its worth a try.
Boom Strike is offline Find More Posts by Boom Strike
Old Oct 20, 2012, 01:19 AM
end user
USA, WI, Neenah
Joined Feb 2006
1,076 Posts
well this isn't turning out the way i expected it to.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 03:49 AM
Appleton, WI
Joined Feb 2008
85 Posts
I would not mind the meetings at 6pm on Mondays, but not sure the 4 meetings a year would work with planning things like the show and auction... If we reduce it maybe go to every other month??? or keep it as is and try to find a way to get more members to the meeting. Lets say if you do not make at least 5 meetings out of 12 a year you owe the club a $30 activity fee or something like that... and I know some times I would end up paying that in with my work schedule, but I would not be against that.
MDCramer is offline Find More Posts by MDCramer
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:29 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes
Joined Mar 2001
1,721 Posts
Making people basically pay a fine for not attending meetings is not a good way to get more people to attend meetings. Heck, that would make me not attend meetings and drop out of the club, just on principle.

The questions should be "Why do more people not attend meetings?" Start by asking the people who don't attend, and go from there.

For myself, it's scheduling conflicts, and just plain forgetting about them.

It's not hard to just send out an email a couple days before the meeting, with what is planned, just as a reminder.

Other ideas from my old Soaring club in Colorado Springs, which had outstanding attendance:

* Presentation by a club member, or aviation related person, for each meeting.
(How to bag a wing, Using GPS, soldering basics, adhesives, building/repair, "My trip to event xyz", Person xyz, who flew the <name one>, etc.
* Have a "before the meeting" meeting, at a burger joint.
* Have an "after the meeting" get together at a Village Inn, Perkins, or wherever, where people can sit for coffee, pie, or whatnot and chat.

Basically, make the meetings more interesting, remind people, and help promote a friendly group of guys who just like to hang out and talk about aviation.

Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDCramer View Post
I would not mind the meetings at 6pm on Mondays, but not sure the 4 meetings a year would work with planning things like the show and auction... If we reduce it maybe go to every other month??? or keep it as is and try to find a way to get more members to the meeting. Lets say if you do not make at least 5 meetings out of 12 a year you owe the club a $30 activity fee or something like that... and I know some times I would end up paying that in with my work schedule, but I would not be against that.
Mountain Models is offline Find More Posts by Mountain Models
Last edited by Mountain Models; Oct 29, 2012 at 06:13 AM.
Closed Thread