HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:47 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
i THINK THAT WE HAVE FOUND OUT EVERYTHING

Here on The Mall the DC rules seem to be 1. No radio controlled model boats or airplanes. 2 You need a permit if your group exceeds 19 people.
Thus if your group is less than 20 people sailing model sailboats by string, vane, freesailing, weighted rudder or Braine
gear YOU ARE O.K.
George Steele is offline Find More Posts by George Steele
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 24, 2013, 12:35 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,578 Posts
Good to see! Now get out there with the largest freesailing yacht you can find & sail.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Feb 25, 2013, 11:22 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
I am 75% done on a 42 inch galleon (LOD). Need to make the sails and the sailing keel. I do have a 36" lod schooner which I sailed once last summer in the Capitol Reflecting pool. Both are "Quick Build" solid balsa hulls, pretty crude but fast to build AND NO RADIO CONTROL..
Old Feb 26, 2013, 05:59 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
Photos? Please :-)
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:03 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Two technological chalenges

PHOTOS? Another technological challenge for me?
Instead another challenge for you!. Years ago my stepfather gave me a wooden sloop 36 inches lod with Braine gear and a tangled bit of string and rubber tubes. Eventualy the rubber discintegrated and I threw the "mess" away. I now think it was a system to tack the sloop when it sailed into a calm spot in a pond.
Any other theories (or experience with such a piece of equipment)?
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:47 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
BROOKS. I will ask my grandson to take a few pictures and post them here as I do not know how to do that myself
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:18 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
Thanks George. Get your grandson to show you how, it'll be fun for him, I bet :-)
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:58 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
The "Quick Built" schooner

Here is a picture of the "Fast build schooner"
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:39 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Braine gear and vane gear where are u

Since the Capitol Police have banned RC sailboats from the Mall in DC we need to locate sources of Braine gear and Vane gear for our model sailboating in the Reflecting Pools in The Mall in DC. The $64 question is who is currently making and selling this equipment??? Any answers, any ideas??
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:34 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
1. Re Vane or Braine kits, what has SFMYC said? (my Post#90 on this thread)

2. I doubt anyone is manufacturing ready-to-use V or B gear since RC came along, so you'll have to make your own from scratch, I imagine. Since SFMYC is still using vanes, you should find plenty of building advice available.

3. The diagrams at US VMYG show the details and operation of the Vane gear. Right Click on the 1st and 3rd diagrams to get readable-sized figures to open in new tabs. The "sliding rig" part of the document can be ignored; it seems to be just a method to speed sheet readjustment for racers; you'd want to get your boat setup quickly for the next leg in a race.

http://pages.swcp.com/usvmyg/freesail/lassvane.htm

4. I believe Braine gear does the same job as Vane, but uses sheet tension to move rudder (in contrast, the Vane uses air pressure on the "feather" to move the rudder). The Braine quadrant allows one to set the rudder movements to correspond with your desired course (beat, reach, run). The Vane does the same. You'd not install both B and V on the same boat.

5. What is your reason for pursuing these archaic steering methods? They are only needed for racers, you can get your boat to cross the pond with simpler steering methods. Not that I am discouraging you from building these devices, if you wish.
Last edited by Brooks; Mar 07, 2013 at 05:44 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:48 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
curiosity

Since RC is now banned from the reflecting pools in DC I thought that I would put a vane gear on one hull I have and a Braine on another and perhaps a weighted rudder on a 3rd to see how each worked. All impracticle research on obsolete systems.
If some folks want to race on those pools they will have to decide how they will "control" their vessels. (And they will have to comply with the governmental rules if their group exceeds 19 participants.)
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:23 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
George, I came across as negative to the sophisticated steering mechanisms, sorry. I actually like archaic technology (biplanes, squareriggers, escapements, dip pens). If you are interested in the steering gears, then great!

My thinking, not well expressed, was that if you want to get a yachting group going for the Reflecting Pool, et.al, then demonstrating simpler boats might be better. My feeling is that the Vanes and Braines are for the hard-core yachters. People w/o modeling skills will be leary of diving into that level of sophistication. If you want new fellow sailers, then you don't want to give them the impression that only the fancy boats will work.

Many people who've talked to me concerning my models seem to be overwhelmed by the expense, particularly of the 4 channel RC that I use. One of the reasons I sail my bottle boats and my free-sailers is to give folks an appreciation of how they can get into the model boat game with less expense. 2 channel Chinese 2.4mhz can be found for $50, and are suitable for bottle boats. Free sailers are even cheaper ($12 for a Geo. Surgent Pine Wood Sailers kit).

If you could get 1 or 2 people sailing every day, even with simple boats, then the Park Service would start to see model yachting as an asset, not a liability. With the looming Fed $ sequester, you might have an opportunity to get the Park Service actively assisting you, rather than just tolerating your efforts. Nothing like "See, the people love what we are doing!" to preserve their jobs, you know :-) On that note, perhaps showing up with loaner boats would be helpful. Kids and parents love the loaner Pine Wood Sailers I bring to our pond. I've got 2 white and 2 black sailboats to help the kids can keep track of which one is theirs.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 10:44 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
You are absolutly right

I am going to switch from cans of diet ginger ale to bottles, and for those who want to buy a free-sailer you should look at tippicanoe.
(making braign or vane gear looks abit frustrating to say the least.)
Old Mar 19, 2013, 04:38 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Where are those regulations said to be posted in some newspaper?

Same old question. Has anyone found them???
Old Mar 24, 2013, 03:01 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
A time for action, speak up

Today I googled THE TRUST FOR THE NATIONAL MALL and discovered that it is inter acting with the Park Service, the Architect of the Capitol, and many other officials and consultants to reinvigorate the NATIONAL MALL. So this is an opportunity for everyone interested in sailing model sailboats in the Reflecting pools and the pond in Constitution Gardens to give their ideas and input to the power brokers in DC.