HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:09 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
A strange choice

The Capitol Police Board also operates the guide service for the Capitol. From the way that they have responded to my inquiries I assume that they respond to in person questions about the congress with a miranda warning: You have the right to remain silent, anything that you say will be held against you etc,
The only good news is that Alexandria is planning a pond for model boats. Lord only knows when that will be completed.
George Steele is offline Find More Posts by George Steele
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 16, 2013, 09:04 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Response to foia request.

General CounseL Jason Baltimore as counsel to the Architect of the Capitol responded to my FOIA request to the Capitol Police Board by advising me that The Architect of the Capitol is a member of the Board and of Congress and therefore by law is exempt from the reach of the FOIA. He also by email advised me that his advice is protected by the attorney client priviledge.
It seems to me that he waived that privilledge by sending me the letter and this email is protected by the First Amendment.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:07 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
It does not seem right

We the tax payers paid a ton of money to have the reflecting pool fixed up and now "the Feds" say that all we can do is look at the pool (or listen to political speeches there.)
Model sailboat enthusiasts have sailed their models there for many years* but something has changed and changed for the worst. (See the Washington Post for Nov. 28 page B2 for a photo of sailboats on the Reflecting pool on April 30, 1935 where about 20 model sailboats are sailing. (and I have another photo from 1928 with 8 big models ( with masts about 8 foot high in the pool with the Linco;n Memorial in yhe background)
So the question is when and how do we get back our ability to sail radio controlled or freesailing model sailboats on the reflecting pools?
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:08 PM
Joined Oct 2006
858 Posts
the media............as i hinted before....put in a piece of balsa with a stick and sail on it and have the media record your arrest if you can afford it .....i think it's always the media which can create change...hopefully without violence.....the guys on top are primarily concerned with their image in the public eye......easier with the public on your side...you know the song give me some men who are stout hearted men and i'll soon give you ten thousand more.........anyways,, me ...i'm a weakling....i know it's nonsense, but what the heck.......
it sure would be a beautiful sight to see....
creative visionaries vs fearful litigationists...
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:55 PM
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Aug 2012
421 Posts
Hi George

I have been following this thread. I love those old photos of the boats on the reflecting pond. A glimpse into what once was.

A simpler time.

kind regards
Tim

"We the tax payers paid a ton of money to have the reflecting pool fixed up"

Corection....We the tax payers are paying a ton of money on interest for money we borrowed to pay to have the pool fixed up.
TBowman is offline Find More Posts by TBowman
Last edited by TBowman; Jan 17, 2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:32 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
I wonder who created the Capitol Police Board and what it is authorised to do? Likewise I wonder where one can find its rules? We need someone who is good at computerized legal research.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:53 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
2 usc $ 1969

THE LEGAL iNFORMATION iNSTITUTE lists 2 USC 1969 "Regulation of traffic by Capitol Police Board." This gives the CPB exclusive control of vehicular and other traffic. It also says the CPB is authorized to make regulations.
Now we have to look for the regulations. They are to be published within ten days in daily newspapers in DC. That makes it hard to search the newspapers so I guess that the easiest way to get a copy is for me to ask the CPB for a copy.
Old Jan 22, 2013, 03:23 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
web page yonder:

United States Capitol Police [USCP] Law & Legal Definition

The United States Capitol Police (USCP) is a federal police force having exclusive jurisdiction to protect the United States Congress within the District of Columbia and throughout the nation. The USCP’s primary responsibilities include, protecting life and property; preventing, detecting, and investigating criminal acts. It is responsible for enforcing traffic regulations throughout a large complex of congressional buildings, parks, and thoroughfares. The USCP is also responsible for the safety and protection of members of Congress, officers of Congress, and their families throughout the entire United States, its territories and possessions, and the District of Columbia.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:29 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Getting arrested an expensive business

As to the suggestion that I put a model in a DC Reflecting pool to get arrested seems an expensive proposition. I guess my lawyer's fees might run at about $500 PER HOUR!!!!
I think that the smarter choice is to pursue the plan to sail in the to-be-built sailing model pond in Alexandria and then advertize the loss of income to DC hotels.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 02:51 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Can someone find "the regulations"?

I have been unable to find "the regulations" of the Capitol Police Board that apparently were published in local newspapers and are thought to prohibit remotely controlled "vehicles" in some large area of the Mall. Two searches of the online Washington Post were unsucessfull. Hopefully some one with better computer research skills will find them and notify us all as to the contents and location of these restrictions.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 02:24 AM
Vienna/Austria
Joined Jan 2009
1,112 Posts
Just had an idea:

If you would send a present
(a gift? - not sure what the right term is) directly to the white house -
adressed to:
"The President of the United States of America" personally -
- Mr. Barack Obama himself -
would ANY CIA, secret service or whatever other security personal have the RIGHT
to reject that without the personal OK of your president?

If not, then I simply would send a parcel to him -
including these specific old pics plus
any rc-sailboatmodel of your choice including the complete rc-stuff.

With a friendly personal letter, saying something like:
"For you and for your kids recreation -
with my best wishes to you for the future."

The security will of course have to check that parcel to the bones,
but somehow IŽm quite sure, that parcel will reach him....-

No one can simply reject a personal gift to the president, I believe.

And next youŽll see are pics of your president with his kids at that reflecting pool
on a sunny sunday in the newspapers - sailing that rc-model at that pool...

This simply would be a good PR-action for him.

And it would simply bypass all that stupid security bla bla -
and open the doors for your own modeling intentions.

Can you imagine that?
disabled is offline Find More Posts by disabled
Last edited by disabled; Jan 29, 2013 at 02:30 AM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:58 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
I have 4 rc sailboat models but can not find the radio transmitters. (The celler is a bit of a mess!) I also spent an hour searching the on line Washington Post for "the regulations" but could not find them.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:25 PM
Joined Oct 2006
858 Posts
my kind of thinking disabled no matter how wishful
yancovitch is offline Find More Posts by yancovitch
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:18 AM
Joined May 2009
216 Posts
My thought is, that based on the way that you have attempted to make this happen, is it will never happen unless forced on these individuals. They will never change their minds at this time, just to spite you. No offense, just my observation of government workers over the years and the language in the reply you got.
capterik is offline Find More Posts by capterik
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:57 AM
United States, NY, Oneonta
Joined Jul 2011
50 Posts
some info that may help

http://www.uscapitolpolice.gov/speci...s_app_page.pdf
http://www.uscapitolpolice.gov/special_events/map.pdf
http://www.uscapitolpolice.gov/contact.php

get a permit set up as many boats on dry land as possible , call the media

good luck
jbwfire is offline Find More Posts by jbwfire