Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Stranger & stranger

The Architect of The Capitol has his office in Springfield Illinois!!!
George Steele is offline Find More Posts by George Steele
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2012, 08:51 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
36 CFR 1.7 Public notice

"(a) Whenever the authority of ?1.5(a) is invoked to restrict or control a public use or activity .... the public shall be notified by one or more of the following methods: (1) Signs posted at conspicuous locations, such as normal points of entry and reasonable intervals along the boundry of the affected park locale.""
Since there are no such signs around the Reflecting pools it seems logical that we can indeed sail our model sailboats in those pools!!!! Hurrah.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 01:18 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Relative sizes

The Washington Reflecting Pool is said to be 167 X 2029 feet for an area of 338,843 square feet. Measuring the above the walerline area of a model sloop on my living room mantle its side view area is 9.4 square feet.
I have not yet found the side view area of the Washington Monument but I am working on it.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 02:06 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
more info

The Washington Monument is 555.5 feet high so a model sailboat 3.5 feet tall is about 0.006 % as high as the Monument and would make a miniscule reflection compared to the monument's reflection.
Members of the U. S. Vintage Model Yacht Group will find a photo on page 15 showing big model sloops (mast height about 8 feet) on page 15 of the currant issue. sailinng on the pool near the Lincoln Monument.
Old Dec 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,635 Posts
"If part of the American Experience has been lost, the terrorists win" ....

By that definition, the terrs won grand prize a long time ago and have been winning more every day since! We are not the country we were and I don't think we will ever recover our freedoms to a pre-9/11 level, let alone a pre-90s level.
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 19, 2012, 12:05 AM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
yep, even this here filthy liberal peace freak agrees that that those would give up any form of liberty for the sake of security deserves neither.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Dec 19, 2012, 05:22 AM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
Craig and Bgnome I agree. Except for the "never get them back" idea. The voting booth is our way to get back what we've lost, liberty-wise. I think the problem is that the American political system does not give us candidates who will "give it back." Somehow, the system stacks the deck against give-it-back'ers. So, we have to change the political process. I don't know what is needed, I just know that we have Better people in the US than the candidates we have to choose between.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Dec 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
The DC rules hurt the dc hotel industry

Several years ago one group wanting to have its annual sailboat races in The DC reflecting pool was scared off by the DC rules and took its rally (races) to Solomons Island. So the Federal bureaucrats position that sails degrade reflections of the Monuments is hurting the DC economy. (But that helps the Maryland economy.)
Old Dec 27, 2012, 02:07 PM
made of fire and pop rocks
Richmond Virginia
Joined Oct 2009
1,711 Posts
Well George, perhaps we could beseech the favors of a duly elected congress critter, senator, or Representative to intervene on the matter.

Do you live in the city proper? or one of the state bound suburbs in MD or VA?

Even though I only live about two hours away down here in Richmond, the way DC works is kinda fuzzy to me, for some reason I thing D.C. has some kind of Taxation with out representation thing going on...

alright, just googled it. D.C. only has a Delegate. Don't know how much good it would do to write that person a letter, but it certainly couldn't hurt.

and of course, those in VA and MD, could drop our senators a line regarding the issue, and clarification.

rattle some sabers if you will.
bgnome is offline Find More Posts by bgnome
Old Dec 31, 2012, 02:34 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
the almost next step=writing to the politicians

The FOIA letter to the Architech of the Capitol got me nothing (possibly because I did not address him as a member of the Capitol Police Board) so I have sent a FOIA letter directly to the CPB. So we will have to wait and see what they say. Depending on their answer I will wait awhile before writing Ms Norton.
Old Dec 31, 2012, 03:10 PM
Damp and Dizzy member
Bozeman, Montana, United States
Joined Aug 2003
3,381 Posts
George, delay works against you. I suggest you send whatever letters you plan right now. If you wait for a response from each letter before sending the next, you allow them to a) nickle&dime you to death, and b) plan a counterattack. A blizzard of FOIA letters will tell them that you are serious. It will also provide you with ammo when you take your fight public: "Look, I've contacted everyone involved and they are all stonewalling. Is that the new expectation the Public should prepare themselves for whenever they request information for their Govt.?" Unless you actually run into a decent individual in Govt during your quest, you will have to take the fight public at some point. Your strategy should be aimed at accumulating ammo for that part of the fight. If you don't end up needing it, Great! But otherwise, you will spend your next few years fighting City Hall by City Hall's rules...and you will lose. Been there done that.
Brooks is offline Find More Posts by Brooks
Old Jan 09, 2013, 08:34 PM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,578 Posts
Damn shame Ted Kennedy isn't still around.. we need more sailors in political office.
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Jan 10, 2013, 09:53 AM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
What about rc sailing on the tidal basin?

By distant recolection the walls are about 4 feet high but the question is: are there any legal prohibitions against sailing rc sailing models there?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:26 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
The park at Wisconcin Ave. & the Potomac River sucks

Free sailing there would require a skiff, canoe or kayak to recover your model sailboat and I believe that the FAA would quickly stomp on any radio controlled models. as the planes going into and out of Dulles airport fly very near the park;
Furthermore the intersection of the land and water is rocky.
There are some interesting photos of wooden canal boats and many schooners there in "the old days."
Old Jan 14, 2013, 01:12 PM
USA, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Jan 2008
264 Posts
Two letters and no real answers

i SENT A FOIA LETTER TO THE ARCHITECH OF THE CAPITOL AND ANOTHER TO THE CAPITOL POLICE BOARD AND GOT NO USEFUL INFORMATION EXCEPT THAT A FOIA LETTER DOES NOT SEEM TO "ACTIVATE" ANY OF THESE FOLKS.
I GUESS THAT MY NEXT STEP WILL BE TO ASK MS. NORTON FOR HELP