HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:58 PM
United States, PA, Ellwood City
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Discussion
Jump box or just buy a battery to charge at field?

I don't want to use the car battery to hook up the charger and I'd like a solution for charging at home as well.

Would a jump box with a 12v outlet be the best idea or just go ahead and buy a battery to do the job? I'm assuming a deep cycle battery is correct if I go that direction.

I'm leaning toward a jump box simply for the ease of portability. Would one work better than another?
AtGame7 is offline Find More Posts by AtGame7
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:02 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Deep cycle batteries are expensive heavy and only last a few years. I think the small generator is a much better option.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:13 PM
Florida
Joined Aug 2004
4,099 Posts
Most if not all Jump Boxes are of far to low a capacity for this job unless you are using very small capacity batteries in your planes. It is easy to deep discharge such batteries trying to get that last charge of the day out of them and then--new battery required as Pb's do not tolerate deep discharge at all well. For small capacity batteries (like 1200 to 2200 mah 3 and 4 cell LiPo's) a lawn mower type battery will give you 3 or 4 recharges without requiring a recharge itself.
Rodney is offline Find More Posts by Rodney
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:05 PM
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Deep cycle batteries are expensive heavy and only last a few years. I think the small generator is a much better option.

Mike
Small generator? Got a link to what you are talking about? You mean like a gas powered one? Seems like overkill, no?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:17 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Does not seem like overkill to me - that is what I use. Better than a heavy battery IMHO.

I use this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-66619.html

If I were buying today I would get the Honda:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...ter-generator-

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you View Post
Does not seem like overkill to me - that is what I use. Better than a heavy battery IMHO.

I use this one:
http://www.harborfreight.com/engines...tor-66619.html

If I were buying today I would get the Honda:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/gene...ter-generator-

Mike
Aren't they pretty loud, though?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:45 PM
The wind caused that!!
United States, OK, Poteau
Joined Jul 2012
617 Posts
i guess it depends on how much charging you plan on doing at the field. i use a small walmart style jump box. it will charge my 3s 3200mah batteries about 4 times before needing to be recharged itself. if your planning on flying all day, your gonna need something better. if i need to charge more than that out at the field, i just use the cars battery.

i have an ac/dc style charger for my rc stuff, so at home i just plug it into the wall socket and charge my batteries.
hoghead5150 is offline Find More Posts by hoghead5150
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:46 PM
ltc
AMA 97737
United States, MA, Mendon
Joined Mar 2010
2,331 Posts
The Honda inverter generators are extremely quiet.
I have a 2000 watt Honda inverter and a 7000 watt Honda inverter generator.

The 2000 watt has a couple thousand hours, as I used it for years when my son was racing. It was never an issue between trailers or running all night.

Highly recommended for RC field application. You can run 8+hours on a single tank and when idling, you probably won't hear it.
ltc is online now Find More Posts by ltc
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:06 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltc View Post
The Honda inverter generators are extremely quiet.
I have a 2000 watt Honda inverter and a 7000 watt Honda inverter generator.

The 2000 watt has a couple thousand hours, as I used it for years when my son was racing. It was never an issue between trailers or running all night.

Highly recommended for RC field application. You can run 8+hours on a single tank and when idling, you probably won't hear it.
Correct from 25-30 feet away the Honda is barely audible. The Harbor Freight is louder but nothing too bad but it is 2 cycle.

So I would get the Honda - you can find them used for less money and use them if you have a blackout at home. They are extremely nice.....

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 04:50 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,815 Posts
While convenient I find nothing more annoying than going to an electric event with a bunch of annoyingly noisy smelly generators running.

Deep cycle for me.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:57 AM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,691 Posts
A 1000 watt 4 stroke inverter gen works well. I use a Champion brand 65 DB if I remember right. Just a little more than a buddies 1000 watt Honda but a much better price. With the inverter, the RPM is proportional to the load on it. With no load, it runs on what would be considered a fast idle. Charging two 1300 batts at once doesn't even change the RPM. Weighs 36 lbs.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:02 AM
Canada, ON, Thunder Bay District
Joined Apr 2007
712 Posts
Deep cycle for me too. I fly 6s and 12s planes charging with 2 Hyperion Super Duos. The required gennerator and power supplies would weigh as much as the two 100ah batteries I use in series. All this with no noise or smell. Get a good days flying with this setup.
Fast Guy is online now Find More Posts by Fast Guy
Old Sep 17, 2012, 12:29 PM
NB Canada
Joined Apr 2008
458 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarr View Post
While convenient I find nothing more annoying than going to an electric event with a bunch of annoyingly noisy smelly generators running.

Deep cycle for me.

Azarr
Yeah this is a funny image. If you're gonna run a bunch of generators to charge batteries to run motors, just skip the batteries and put a gasoline engine in your aircraft! Either way it's gas-powered.

I'm only flying 3s 1300 size, so a small 18Ah sealed lead-acid works well for me. Heavy tho! In fact 12/14Ah might have been enough. A lot more convenient than wet-type with spillage, keeping upright, etc. issues.
Beckler is offline Find More Posts by Beckler
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
134 Posts
Thank you all for the replies. He flies mostly micros and a Super Cub right now with a T28 in his near future.

I think for charging those small batteries a jump box should be good enough, plus it's a good excuse for me to buy one and have it in the trunk.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:04 PM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
When lipo prices came way down a few years ago, I dumped my 80Ah deep cycle battery. Flight packs are so cheap now I can fly all day without recharging at the field.
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore