HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:01 PM
Posted as eflightdude 06-07
United States, IL, Peoria
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Discussion
Another newbi getting into the quad (hobby? craze? obsession? :-D)

I've flown RC in the past, but stopped in 2007, mainly because my dad never renewed the RC club membership and I lost interest in flying by myself. Now I'm living on my own, going to school while working and I had the bug to return to RC flight after talking to a teacher at school who was interested in autonomous control. Started looking around and decided on the Trainer 2 by gpw to get my skills up before rebuilding my Wombat, a really fun 3D plane I found here when I posted back in '07 under the name eflightdude. I then started looking around, and there is a multi-rotor section. Cool, I've always wanted one of those, and they aren't alien territory, I have a Blade E-flight CX2 that needs a new battery and some plastic parts. More research, and a little while later, after talking to the teacher (who I'll refer to as Mr. P), I ordered this from HK:

Mr. P has never done RC but has always wanted to fly full scale but never had the money (how many people do?), so he's interested in FPV. He's also an electrical engineer and has built autonomous robots of various types, and would like to do that with a quad. So, to help me get into this, he purchased a Naze 32 flight control board (he got what I said to get), which I will be able to use for a while, at which point I'll get my own, the board will go to him, and he gets to use me as a reference to build his own quad without needing to do the research I've done. Did I get screwed in that deal?

I came up with the parts list after reading a bunch of threads and talking to fallingdown. Thank you, fallingdown, for taking the time to PM a newbie with suggestions, it's very appreciated. I believe the list is all I need, with a couple exceptions I note below. Do you see anything I missed?
  • Radio: Already own a JR6201, and have an FrSky telemetry TX module with a 6 channel telemetry RX.
  • Charger: I own a HK 200W balance charger already. Looking into a Cellpro PowerLab 6 with parallel charge board when I have the money.
  • Prop Balancer: I'll be ordering a Top-Flight balancer off eBay after reading the reviews lack of quality on the Turnigy one HK sells.
  • A frame: I plan on doing a DIY type frame out of wood or whatever I find at the hardware store that's light and strong.
  • The 24g brushless is for the trainer 2, not the quad. Threw it in cause I had the weight left.

I also plan on recording the experience of a newbie building and flying a quad at the blog I started at jseyfert3.wordpress.com.

Lastly, I have buddy codes for all the stuff I just bought, if you needed something that I just bought. It's not that big of a discount, but it's something.
jseyfert3 is offline Find More Posts by jseyfert3
to remove ads between posts