HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:39 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
Build Log
Kyle's Dumas CC Commander Build

Hey all,

Started a build log on this boat a while ago but when I tried to post to it today it said that the thread was too old to post on anymore. Guess that means I need to get on here more often.

Anyway, here's a picture of where she's at right now. Getting close to the fiberglassing stage. The build has gone quite well so far, the mahogany deck on the bow was especially fun.

Also posting some running pics of my first model, the Sterling mahogany runabout I built a few years back. I did a build thread on it but of course that's too old to post on anymore also. She runs much better now with a 2.4 ghz radio. With the old AM radio the rudder would shake quite a bit at full throttle and I could never get her to plane nicely. Now she planes beautifully just like the real boats.

Thanks all! Hope you enjoy the pictures! I'll be back soon with some more pics.
kylewp is offline Find More Posts by kylewp
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:33 PM
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,123 Posts
You just need to put a check in the box next to "I am aware that this thread is rather old, but I still want to make a reply."
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:23 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
You just need to put a check in the box next to "I am aware that this thread is rather old, but I still want to make a reply."
What he said !

Lets have a look...
Tim B. is offline Find More Posts by Tim B.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:14 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
oops, didn't see that. only shows up when you do an advanced post. I just tried the regular post and it wouldn't work.

Thanks! Either way, I need to stop being lazy and get on here more.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:32 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
Update: Finished the mahogany deck. Probably one of the toughest parts of the construction. Lots of beveling on the pieces that transition the upper deck of the bow to the lower deck of the rest of the boat.

Time to start on fiberglassing the hull and building the cabin.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 09:00 AM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,098 Posts
Thats Very clean construction Kyle, your planking and treatment of the hull interior looks excellent, deck looks great.
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:40 PM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,701 Posts
What happened with this build? Ever get finished? It would be a shame, if not, after such a great start!
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Oct 27, 2013, 12:45 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,098 Posts
Old Oct 30, 2013, 09:43 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
PJ,

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately I haven't been able to make much additional progress recently. My job had me traveling a lot b/t Houston and Los Angeles, plus its tough to build in a one-bedroom apartment. I'm also in the process of relocating from Houston to Virginia so I had to pack everything up.

I've really enjoyed this build so far, just need to "find the time" to finish it. Thanks again for the kind words. I'll post here once I get rolling again.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:25 AM
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
3,701 Posts
Well, I can relate to that. You cite a number of similar reasons why mine is still in the rafters. Glad I waited, too, as I have found a wealth of additional info on the 1954 Commander, as well as info on improving this kit, since I bought it.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 16, 2014, 04:45 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
Hey all,

I am trying to get this build going again. I ran into an interesting problem which I thought would be good to share with the forum. I fiberglassed the transom, and for some reason, the fiberglass did not turn completely transparent. The weave is visible. It looks like I will have to paint over the mahogany.

I used 30 min epoxy with 2 oz hobbico fiberglass cloth. The cloth I used on my runabout was lighter (0.5 oz), and I had no problems. Maybe the weight is the issue.

Does anyone know why this happened or any way to fix it? Hopefully someone else can learn from this.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 05:45 PM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,148 Posts
Wet the area with a damp cloth, or your fingertip and see if the weave becomes less apparent- my guess is that it might just need another coat of epoxy to fill the weave.

Great to see you back at it, Kyle.
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:30 PM
Veni, Vidi, Feci
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
12,703 Posts
Um, 30 minute epoxy? As in the glue? Not as in the typical resin used for glassing?

Your punishment: Scrape/peel/sand it off and do it over!
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Mar 17, 2014, 01:50 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Jan 2008
174 Posts
Pat,

I haven't seen "glue" being distinguished from "resin" in these epoxy products. I've only seen them differentiated by the curing time. What identifies the difference?

Here's what I used. It's labeled 30 minute epoxy resin and hardener.
Old Mar 17, 2014, 02:07 PM
Oakland Ca.
Joined Aug 2009
9,098 Posts
There is finishing resin, then there is epoxy ...