HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:29 AM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
Issues with AR400

First, I would like to say that I am returning to the hobby after 30 years and cannot believe how things have changed! Great to be back!

I have a new Spektrum AR400 Rx and a DX7s. All seems to go fine during the bind process (Rx light flash, turns solid, Tx reading well), but there does not seem to be the connection with the channels. No control surface movement, no throttle, etc. Also, motor has continuous beep.

I have tried other Rx's with three different motors, ESC combos and this same thing occurs. Batts are charged (i am not using a seperat Rx Battery could this be the prob?) I know that the ESC has internal BEC, as I another of the same.

My only conclusion is the Rx is bad.

Hoping someone might help
cmidnight is offline Find More Posts by cmidnight
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
United States, OH, Columbus
Joined Dec 2011
155 Posts
Did you do the procedure to bind the TX to the RX?
lcm1977 is offline Find More Posts by lcm1977
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:42 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2007
1,766 Posts
I'm stumped. The fact that you get lights on the rx confirms you at least could not have reversed the polarity of the throttle connection.

One thing comes to mind. The esc wants to see a low enough throttle position before it arms. It's possible either the throttle trim has to be lowered. Or even the throttle channel needs to be reversed.

That would not explain the other channels not functioning though. I would double check you have the servo wires plugged in the right way.
xmech2k is online now Find More Posts by xmech2k
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:20 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmidnight View Post
I have tried other Rx's with three different motors, ESC combos and this same thing occurs.
If you've tried several other receivers and you get the same problem every time why do you conclude that one particular AR400 receiver is bad ? It sounds to me a lot more like a fault with the transmitter or the technique you're using.

Are you sure the ESC is plugged into the throttle position ? Do you have the TX throttle AND TRIM low when you're doing the binding ? After the bind have you disconnected the ESC battery to fix the bind ? The continuous beep is usually the ESC telling you there's no signal from the RX and that's often because the ESC is plugged into something like a battery slot instead of the throttle slot.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:52 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
Quote:

I have tried other Rx's with three different motors, ESC combos and this same thing occurs.
My apologies on the typo! What I meant to say was that I have tried THIS Rx with the other combos and the same thing occurs. Also, I have no problem with the other Rx's binding to three different planes. It just seems to be this AR400.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:04 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
My apologies on the typo! What I meant to say was that I have tried THIS Rx with the other combos and the same thing occurs. Also, I have no problem with the other Rx's binding to three different planes. It just seems to be this AR400.
Does this RX have a satellite? If so Check the connections where the satellite connects to the rx. My insulation moved back a bit, the signal and ground wires were touching. This caused the same exact problem as yours. I put shrink wrap on both wires and now it works.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:12 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
No, no sat.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:17 PM
USA, TX, Trophy Club
Joined May 2002
14,464 Posts
It is likely a dud - send it in they will send you a new one. They are really good about that.

I have 5 of them and this is a fluke.

Mike
pda4you is offline Find More Posts by pda4you
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:35 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Aug 2012
1,152 Posts
Quote:
No, no sat.
That's unfortunate then. Bad luck.
Babadush is offline Find More Posts by Babadush
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:44 PM
Joined Sep 2012
9 Posts
That's what I thought! Just hoping that I may have missed something.

Thanks all for your input.

Glad to be part of the forum.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:58 PM
England
Joined Nov 2005
1,108 Posts
Ask here
netdudeuk is offline Find More Posts by netdudeuk