Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:14 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
Question
Is this a good deal? (2nd hand heli posted)

I'm still practicing with the micro, but considering how expensive 450's are, would it be practical to simply buy them in pieces over time?

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...4#imageGallery

About $170. But apparently missing a tail servo, gyro and receiver.

I can get a new gyro for about $22

http://helitrex.multiply.com/photos/...YRO-S##photo=1

a new tail servo for about $20

http://helitrex.multiply.com/photos/...SERVOS#photo=7

and i already have a Devo7 so i'll just get a receiver

http://www.rc711.com/shop/walkera-de...l?cPath=167_33

I'm pretty hesistant to pull the trigger on something that i'll likely crash on my first flight, but it may be a good way to test the waters, and still have a solid chasis already on hand to upgrade if it turns out the big ones really are easier to fly than the micros after all.

I'm still waiting for last months credit card to clear so i can't actually buy it right now, it may not be available by then, but is it okay to buy these kinds of helis? I've seen a few more ads with helis missing components. But whatever align components they have should be solid right?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Sep 16, 2012 at 08:20 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 05:07 AM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
i would not go with a trex as your first 450, they are expensive. and yes the larger the heli the more stable it will be. i would search around for a new kit and build it, for two reasons, you get the chance to get more intimate with something you build on your own and also its good knowledge to have because you WILL break your heli, no doubt about it... we all do you can get some cheap kits, look on ehirobo at the copter x stuff. or any other clone.
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:15 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
What exactly differentiates Align from other brands (ex: VWIN)? Does Align make their own servos and motors?

And what's the difference between this

http://helitrex.multiply.com/photos/...KITS-#photo=10

and this

http://helitrex.multiply.com/photos/...-KITS-#photo=7
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:58 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,353 Posts
Neither of those appear to be real Align Trex models. I don't know how they can be called Trex 450. Align Trex parts are generally better quality, better fasteners, harder grade of aluminum and better grade of plastic. I've owned both and I usually end with mostly Align parts when I built a clone because parts just didn't hold up. I switched to other brands (Gaui, Thunder Tiger, Hirobo and Century) several years ago, so I don't know if the quality of clones has improved.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:02 PM
Sweden, Helsingborg
Joined Jun 2012
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
Neither of those appear to be real Align Trex models. I don't know how they can be called Trex 450. Align Trex parts are generally better quality, better fasteners, harder grade of aluminum and better grade of plastic. I've owned both and I usually end with mostly Align parts when I built a clone because parts just didn't hold up. I switched to other brands (Gaui, Thunder Tiger, Hirobo and Century) several years ago, so I don't know if the quality of clones has improved.
Clones are perfect for the first build, considdering you will crash it. Better to break something inexpensive.

And considering you could get 3-4 full frames for the cost of 1 original frame its really a no brainer for the first build/crashes.
Xermalk is offline Find More Posts by Xermalk
Old Sep 17, 2012, 08:55 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
Yeah, i'm actually considering getting a 450QS and then replacing the components with stronger parts as i crash and break them. Just figured getting 2nd hand airframes would get me a stronger frame to start with.

That build i posted originally should get me a branded frame, for less than a 450QS. Is getting 2nd hand helis a good way to go? Even if someone else buys this before i do, there's always a 'killer deal' popping up every so often.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:31 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Rule 1 / You will crash
Rule 2 / When you get better , you will still crash
Rule 3 / When your good enough to 3D you will still crash
Rule 4 / Dont want to crash , dont fly model aircraft ... Especially helicopters !

I would suggest something you can afford to crash !

Think of RC heli like you would owning a race car - Its a money pit - what you have control over - is how deep the pit is !
Now dont get me wrong , almost everything is a money pit [ Costs $ ] hell even sitting in front of the TV watching sports can be a money pit , those snacks - the beer - and take out are not free .. Hell I know people that can spend $200 on a week end watching sports !
So , just chose wisely ...
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by old4570; Sep 18, 2012 at 06:38 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 06:52 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by old4570 View Post
Rule 1 / You will crash
Rule 2 / When you get better , you will still crash
Rule 3 / When your good enough to 3D you will still crash
Rule 4 / Dont want to crash , dont fly model aircraft ... Especially helicopters !

I would suggest something you can afford to crash !

Think of RC heli like you would owning a race car - Its a money pit - what you have control over - is how deep the pit is !
Now dont get me wrong , almost everything is a money pit [ Costs $ ] hell even sitting in front of the TV watching sports can be a money pit , those snacks - the beer - and take out are not free .. Hell I know people that can spend $200 on a week end watching sports !
So , just chose wisely ...
Yeah, so since it's gonna crash anyway, is there any point in buying an expensive airframe and components? Start with cheap that i don't mind crashing, and then get more expensive parts as i crash less?
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
How about this one?

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...sition,1-14,14

At the bottom is an RTF, includes electronics, training frame, battery, and carrying case. Price is 12,500php or 300usd
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:12 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
Yeah, so since it's gonna crash anyway, is there any point in buying an expensive airframe and components? Start with cheap that i don't mind crashing, and then get more expensive parts as i crash less?
Thats the heli plan Im on !

When Leader parted with some cheap kits [ was the cheapest 450 kit I picked up like $9 posted of ebay ] , anyhow , I got me a few cheap kits .. And there doing the job .. Hell yes Ive crashed them , and seriously hard , and there still going ..

You have no idea how disappointed I am in the cheap kits , I expected to go through them like a glass of water , but no there still going !

I have 6 450 Helis now [ last one is carbon all metal + also cheap $35kit ] , and simply refuse to lie down and die ...

I still have 2 of the cheap ($10 or so ) kits un-assembled ..

To learn / to start with / to crash / there is little wrong with the cheap kits , and when your ready and able , you can step up to better kits , and the day your ready for 3D , those $300 to $500 kits will still be there waiting for you ..

I even wrote a book about assembling a cheap 450 [ works for any 450 I guess ]
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:18 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
Hmmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hajile View Post
How about this one?

http://www.sulit.com.ph/index.php/vi...sition,1-14,14

At the bottom is an RTF, includes electronics, training frame, battery, and carrying case. Price is 12,500php or 300usd

$300USD I think your buying a hell of a case ..
I would suggest more window shopping .. More Ebay , etc , till you get a feel for prices - Search = Trex 450 on Ebay ...

http://www.alibaba.com/trade/search?...Products&fsb=y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:03 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,353 Posts
If I were going to get a Trex 450 clone, it would be flybarless. The extra cost is out-weighed by the advantages; better stabilization, easier setup and repair and better durability.
Balr14 is online now Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:34 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
@Balr14
I looked around a bit. Flybarless chasis is cheaper, but i the gyros are 200-300usd, yikes! I think i'll start with flybarred.

@old4570
Cool. So it's a good buy? Or are you being sarcastic?

I'm still getting a feel of what it's like to order from abroad. The Philippines is a stones throw away from HongKong (relatively speaking), yet it takes 21 days for an order from banggood to arrive the first time, and 26 days on my second try. I'm working my way up to larger items and testing the waters with the post office. Customs fees can take up to twice what's written on the box if you get them on bad day. For now, the local sellers are the only ones i can rely on for supplies.

I honestly don't know what goes into a helicopter so i really can't make a decision. I can put together a gaming PC and know where to focus and where to compromise so i can build a good one and still get a high end at lower cost. But i don't know how to balance the components of a helicopter. I'm proabably like a non-techie unknowingly wandering into an apple store.

So if you guys have no issues with the $300 heli that came with a case, i'll probably get that one.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Sep 19, 2012 at 03:42 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:54 AM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
they problem with buy a used heli (or anything really) is the hidden broken parts, it may seem to be fully operational, and may even fly but there may be some underliying issue that could cost you some time and moey to figure out i.e. bent feathering shaft, bent main shaft, broken anything really.
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old Sep 19, 2012, 07:07 AM
Joined Jul 2012
3,976 Posts
While i was looking up the 450QS, i came across a parts list and saw this.

http://www.myrcmart.com/rcx-3axis-fl...er-p-5005.html

Why is this $70

http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/flybarless.html

And these are $200+?

And can i fit a Walkera Rx to a KDS450QS?
RCG Plus Member