HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:55 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Discussion
Help on Walkera 200SD3 Airwolf, Devo 8s and Telemetry

Dear all,

I have been playing with 3.5CH co-axial helis and intend to move on to 6Ch flybarless ones. However, I am pretty new to these and I will like to know more.

I intend to purchase a Walkera Airwolf 200SD3 RTF from one of the hobby websites.

I have the option of bundling it with a Devo8s.
The 200SD3 specifications states a receiver RX-2624V-D.
The site also states that it comes with a RX802.

I dont really quite understand this. Does it mean that the helicopter is fixed with a RX-2624V-D and I need to remove it and replace with a RX802?

I also read that this model doesn't come with telemetry and I need to purchase a WK-CTL01-D telemetry module and its compatible with the devo 8s? How do I fix this onto the heli? Do I pair it with the receiver?
Any idea what is the weight of this module?

I will greatly appreciate your advice here. Thanks
vistary is offline Find More Posts by vistary
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistary View Post
Dear all,

I have been playing with 3.5CH co-axial helis and intend to move on to 6Ch flybarless ones. However, I am pretty new to these and I will like to know more.

I intend to purchase a Walkera Airwolf 200SD3 RTF from one of the hobby websites.

I have the option of bundling it with a Devo8s.
The 200SD3 specifications states a receiver RX-2624V-D.
The site also states that it comes with a RX802.

I dont really quite understand this. Does it mean that the helicopter is fixed with a RX-2624V-D and I need to remove it and replace with a RX802?

I also read that this model doesn't come with telemetry and I need to purchase a WK-CTL01-D telemetry module and its compatible with the devo 8s? How do I fix this onto the heli? Do I pair it with the receiver?
Any idea what is the weight of this module?

I will greatly appreciate your advice here. Thanks
Firstly, I would strongly urge you not to by as your first serious heli, let alone your first collective pitch heli. The chances are that you will crash your scale heli within moments of your first flight. There are much easier, simpler and cheaper alternatives. I would really recommend that you get a 4 ch FP like the WL Toys V911 first and also a simulator before moving onto 6 channel helicopters. Even then, I would recommend you get a 100 sized heli for your first CP,

Anyway, to consider your questions. The RX-2624V-D is a combined FBL/receiver unit. You do not need the rx802 receiver. You will need a telemetry module but honestly, it is not worth doing so. There is no extra space in the heli for that anyway.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Sep 18, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:53 AM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,570 Posts
The devo 802rx comes with these combos as a extra rx
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Sep 17, 2012, 01:06 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
I second what zadaw said. 3 channel experience is basically worse than none, because you have to unlearn all of the bad things it taught you. The channel assignments are not even the same. You have no real, viable experience. Nothing else flies like a 3 channel coax, not even remotely close.

On top of that, this type of scale heli is something a lot of experienced CP pilots would shy away from. Scale helis tend to be more difficult to fly because of extra weight and differences in airflow. They are expensive and hard to repair and difficult to maintain. A 5 blade rotor is very difficult to balance and adds to the handling differences. You will need much better servos than anything Walkera makes for that head.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Sep 18, 2012, 01:49 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Thank you all for your kind replies.
I read from other sites that this is a FP heli and not CP.
Please let me know if I had read it wrongly.

Unfortunately, I was too impatient and placed my order a day ago, before anyone replied to this thread.
Perhaps I will just fly it in a grassy patch to cushion the fall and not to be too adventurous to try complex maneuvers. Other than that I will just keep it in my display cabinet
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:07 AM
Suspended Account
Mali, Tombouctou, Timbuktu
Joined Aug 2012
391 Posts
I just laughed hard when I witnessed the price of that thing. :-D.
Better do the latter with it, and store it in a display cabinet.
It's hard enough obtaining parts for well known Walkera models after 6 Months, so I dread to think what it will be like for this thing.
Good luck with that in all aspects.
V999D02 is offline Find More Posts by V999D02
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:00 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
When it comes to multi-blade heads, the distinction between FP and CP is basically 1 servo. The differences in handling and performance are hard to distinguish. A 5 blade head has tons of torque and resists changes in it's plane. It requires very strong and granular, digital metal geared servos, or you will get some very erratic movement. You can NOT just take this heli out of the box and fly it. You are going to have to make sure everything is tight and the blades are balanced.

I would strongly urge you to purchase a v929 quad to learn with first. It will give you a much better feel for how that heli will respond without paying for crash damage. It's very cheap "insurance". I'm guessing you are located in the UK; but if you aren't, buy a Blade MQx at your local hobby shop. It will cost you more than the V929, but you won't have to wait and it's somewhat better quality.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:45 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Ok thanks for the advice. What about the mini cp by walkera for practice? This airwolf comes with the devo 8s.

Can you give some advice on the essential spares which I should stock up in case Walkera decide to stop producing them altogether? I have bought the main blades, the tail blades nd a battery as spare. Fuselage? Motor?
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,167 Posts
This is almost certainly a CP, the only multi-blade FP is the 4F180. Your best bet is to get a SIM and spend lots of time on it first. Also get a training carriage for it. There are probably some common parts with other Walkera helis but the fuselage is definitely not. In a major crash, you may damage blades, main shaft, main gear, head, and servos. It could also be very daunting for a beginners to repair as well.

The Mini CP is infinitely better than the V200D02 as a first heli but is still no where as good as V911 or V929 quad. There is also the Nine Eagles Solo Pro which is slightly more expensive. If your order has not been sent off, I would seriously consider altering it.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Sep 18, 2012, 07:53 PM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
This is almost certainly a CP, the only multi-blade FP is the 4F180. Your best bet is to get a SIM and spend lots of time on it first. Also get a training carriage for it. There are probably some common parts with other Walkera helis but the fuselage is definitely not. In a major crash, you may damage blades, main shaft, main gear, head, and servos. It could also be very daunting for a beginners to repair as well.

The Mini CP is infinitely better than the V200D02 as a first heli but is still no where as good as V911 or V929 quad. There is also the Nine Eagles Solo Pro which is slightly more expensive. If your order has not been sent off, I would seriously consider altering it.
Hi zadwa, Thanks for the advice, unfortunately the order has been sent out and I will just put this airwolf in the cabinet for the time being while I get another durable CP to do the necessary training. I will also get the training carriage. May I ask , for the airwolf, do you advise me to get a spare fuselage? (ontop of the main gear, blades, shaft) Do I need to get a spare main motor? (i guess i will need some insurance spares in case Walkera decides to stop producing these althogether)

The V911 is 4ch FP? Since the airwolf is a CP- 6ch, shouldnt I get a CP-6ch one to train? I already got the devo8s so I can use the same transmitter. That was why I thought of the mini CP, since I saw a video on xheli that is survives crashes well. Will the handling be similar such that when I master the mini-CP, I should be safe to fly the airwolf with training carriage? I also guess I wouldnt do the spins with the airwolf and just restrict to normal 2D flight.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 09:01 PM
los angeles,ca
Joined May 2010
2,570 Posts
Get the mini cp.
vronny is online now Find More Posts by vronny
Old Sep 18, 2012, 10:10 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,470 Posts
Going basically from nothing to any CP heli is quite a challenge. The V929 quad is still a much better idea. It will be more than hard enough.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Aug 2012
17 Posts
Hi all, I managed to cancel the order somehow as it was still in the processing stage.

May I ask that all FP are 4 channels? I have a co-axial 4 channel and it can go up, forward, backwards, yaw and sway. Is it similar?

All CP are 6 channels?
Old Sep 20, 2012, 03:51 AM View Post
Ketan
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Cross-posting. Show it to me anyway.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 08:24 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14 View Post
I second what zadaw said. 3 channel experience is basically worse than none, because you have to unlearn all of the bad things it taught you.
To clarify.

On a 3 channel, the left stick controls up and down, the right stick controls turning left/right and forward/back. Basically, you turn the heli with your right hand.

On a fixed pitch, turn left/right (i.e. rudder) is on the left stick along with the up/down (throttle). Changing hand you use for turning is tricky.

Fortunately, fixed pitch helis practically hover by themselves so you've got time to unlearn your 3ch habits.

However, for collective pitch helis, you need absolute control, a millimeter off and your heli will go out of sight instantly. Even if you were to somehow get it to hover, the moment you try to turn, your brain says "Turn Left", muscle memory makes your right hand move instead of left, and the heli flips over.

Quote:
Can you give some advice on the essential spares which I should stock up in case Walkera decide to stop producing them altogether? I have bought the main blades, the tail blades nd a battery as spare. Fuselage? Motor?
A couple of landing skids. They're the first thing that'll break. Part of learning is keeping the heli close to the ground and then landing the moment you feel you're about to lose control. It'll save your propellers, but will be hard on your landing skids. Especially if you're landing on concrete. When you land on someplace smooth (i.e. tiles) the skids flex apart as they slide to either side. When you land on concrete, the skids catch on the rough pattern and the force is transmitted straight up the flimsy skids, they don't have a chance to flex, and bend sharply inwards instead.

Quote:
May I ask that all FP are 4 channels? I have a co-axial 4 channel and it can go up, forward, backwards, yaw and sway. Is it similar?
Somewhat. But they still ratain too much of the 3.5ch handling characteristics. 4ch with tail rotors are more agile. I'd go so far as to say they're like full helis on training wheels.

Coaxial = Tricycle
4ch single blade = Bike with training wheels
6ch = BMX

Quote:
All CP are 6 channels?
Yes. One of the new channels controls what angle the blades are (pitch).
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Hajile; Sep 20, 2012 at 10:30 PM.