HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
Thanks guys. Don't worry, I've never been chased off by a little "gas" nor do I let it ruin my day. I've just been flying the heck out of all my planes. When the temps are in the 50s with light winds at this time of year on the frozen tundra one needs to take advantage of every minute. I'm only home now to recharge my Tx battery, I knew I forgot to bring something, and then it's back to the field to fly until it's too dark.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:59 PM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Jul 2011
225 Posts
Went out to the field yesterday to fly my dynamic ( The only glider type I have at the moment ). No lift of any thing worth while early in the morning. The clouds stared rolling around 8am . So up I went and YES I found some good lift. Had DS up and cruising for a good 20 minutes. Only reason I landed was here in the tropic its getting bloody hot . Love this thrill of this stuff.
medroller is online now Find More Posts by medroller
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:47 PM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Oct 2012
119 Posts
thermals

Different surfaces heat and cool at different rates. In the afternoon the blacktop over a runway will be radiating heat and likely upward thermals more so than the surrounding ground.

Similarly if soaring by the beach in the afternoon the air over the land is rising so air has to move in from over the ocean to fill the void, that is what causes the afternoon breeze.
72dan is offline Find More Posts by 72dan
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Backfire on 17 x 18 5S
Old Nov 17, 2012, 01:38 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
You got that right, Dan. Thermals are caused by temperature differential and not absolute temperature. I've had some of my best soaring when the temps were around freezing and there was snow on the ground surrounding a road or bit of open water on a frozen lake.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:50 AM
Joined Jul 2011
225 Posts
A question gents.

I just bought a second hand 3metre graupner maxi sport. It does not have seperate flaps ( I thought it did ). Is dialing in spoilerons the best way to slow it down and stop the floating on landing. Thanks
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:40 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
I'm a big fan of spoilerons on sailplanes without flaps.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:34 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,428 Posts
do many other people drag the tail to slow down on landing, I find it easy with the floaters.
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Nov 18, 2012, 12:59 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
I can't say I've ever tried that, blackbrabus. I could probably pull it off but it sounds a bit difficult for beginners. My old field was so big that long, flat, approaches weren't a problem. My new field has trees all around and diving in builds up a whole lot of speed without some kind of breaking though it's less of a problem if there's some wind.
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:56 PM
CURIOSITY Has Landed!
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
1,158 Posts
Blackbrabus,.

I don't understand what drag the tail to slow down on landing means!
I've never heard the term before. All I can figure is that you mean you are flying very slow almost at stall therefore the tail is low/or dragging. Got me beat what it means.

-B!LL!
Fugitive_Bill is offline Find More Posts by Fugitive_Bill
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:23 PM
Joined Jul 2011
225 Posts
So what's the difference between spoilerons and reflex? Are spoilerons ment to sit At nearly 90 derees to the wing and reflex just slightly up . Or am I totaly off base??
Last edited by medroller; Nov 19, 2012 at 04:10 AM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:47 AM
If it flies.....I can crash it
United Kingdom, England, Preston on Stour
Joined Nov 2011
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugitive_Bill View Post
Blackbrabus,.

I don't understand what drag the tail to slow down on landing means!
I've never heard the term before. All I can figure is that you mean you are flying very slow almost at stall therefore the tail is low/or dragging. Got me beat what it means.

-B!LL!
On some landing when realise I am going wholly too fast I get very close to the ground and apply up elevator, this sinks the tail and if close enough causes it to drag on the floor, slowing her down, and this in turn brings the nose down for a nice slide landing.....I guess its like flaring but so close to the ground the tail makes contact.

it works for me........but only if i really have too.
blackbrabus is online now Find More Posts by blackbrabus
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
Visibility.

Hi, guys.

I'm going to collect some of the better ideas and add them to the first post so one doesn't need to plow through the whole thread in order to get to the good bits. Well? We missed one.

Visibility.

There are two components. Color scheme and eye ware. I think we all have favorite schemes so I'll just say that contrast is important. One wants to mix bright, or even fluorescent, colors with dark colors. I have a great fondness for fluorescent orange with dark blue. I especially like metallic blue Monokote. I also prefer transparent covering on built up wings. White isn't a great color in my experience. It tends to blend in with either high clouds or even blue sky.

A good pair of sunglasses can be invaluable too; at least for us older folks with older eyes. Again, there will be some personal preferences on the color but I think it's very important to use glasses that are polarized, "blue blockers", or both. I generally use a medium amber color but I switch to yellow "aviator glasses" if there's an overcast sky.

I'll probably start consolidating ideas this evening so leave a note if there's something you think really has to be in that first post. Thanks again.

Cheers!
Old Nov 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
WAA-08 THANK FRANK!
Las Cruces, New Mexico, United States
Joined Jun 2002
7,177 Posts
To test my color schemes - I take a digital picture and apply a grey-scale filter (black and white) - that will show you how the colors will contrast in reduced reflected light i.e. at altitude. Dark on the bottom and light(er) on top. I like to tip the top side with white or other contrast color, to help me pick up on bank angle.
JimNM is offline Find More Posts by JimNM
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
I'll have to try that, Jim. But? I'll still probably always go with some combo of blue and orange. I also like some fluorescent yellow on the top. I'm not real picky when it comes to a transparent color. Red is probably the easiest to see under the most conditions but blue is my favorite for aesthetics. I also like to use an asymmetrical scheme. A wide, dark, stripe on one wing or even different colored wings seems to be a big help to me.

Here's a pic of my Specter. As long as it's not truly a speck I can always tell left from right and top from bottom. The stripes on the ailerons also pop out when I deploy the spoilerons so it really shows up during landing approaches. Yellow is probably my least favorite transparent color but I didn't feel like recovering the whole wing and tail.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,594 Posts
Prop size.

I'm still arranging the hints I want to get on the first post but I've come up with another one. I'll give my impressions and, as always, will welcome all contributions.

One wants to use the prop that gives one the best thrust and efficiency. Engine and motor manufacturers, and all too many fliers, get caught up in "pitch speed" and will go for the highest pitch they can turn, at the highest static RPM, thinking that speed equals thrust. This really only works for maximum speed when the prop unloads and sailplane pilots need climb performance rather than top speed. (NOTE: I'm talking about "real sailplanes" rather than warmliners/hotliners.)

The most efficient climb performance comes with greater blade area and (prop) airfoil efficiency. A well designed 11 inch prop will give better thrust than an equally well designed 10 inch prop; even at a slightly lower RPM.

Here's my best example.

An old friend of mine and I had identical planes and used the same engine. He used a 10X6 prop and I used an 11X4. Our static RPM was about the same but, despite the lower pitch, my plane was a lot faster. That's because I had more thrust and the airframes didn't allow for the maximum theoretical pitch speed except in a power dive.

Conclusion: Save the high pitch props for planes you want to go fast in a dive. Go with the high diameter props for planes you want to go fast in a climb.