SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:57 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Help!
Coast Guard 47' Lifeboat Non-Skid Deck Sheet

Hi Everybody,
I plan on giving my Proboat - U.S. Coast Guard 47' Lifeboat a face-lift by repainting it from white to aluminum flat gray I am desperately searching for one of those die-cut sheets of the black non-skid deck adhesive sheeting that was part of the Midwest kit. I checked with both Proboat and Midwest Products and neither have it anymore. Does anybody have any ideas if anyone still has a sheet somewhere collecting dust? I'll even take any ideas or suggestions, short of me meticulously repainting each existing non-skid spot black once again when I'm done painting the hull and super structure?

Also,...I need another "Light Tower - PRB3506". Horizon Hobbies no longer has those either. Ideas?
amidships is offline Find More Posts by amidships
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:50 PM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
23,455 Posts
Just get yourself of sheet of "Wet-N-Dry" black oxide sandpaper in the appropriate grit. Cut the sheet into the patterns you need and glue em' down.
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:37 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,100 Posts
The Midwest boats, came with all the details, pre-applied. CaptCB
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:19 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCB View Post
The Midwest boats, came with all the details, pre-applied. CaptCB
Not true, as Midwest produced two different versions of the boat. The original kit version was a box of wood, with the nonskid being precut self adhesive pieces. Then Midwest released the RTR fiberglass version, which was later sold to ProBoat.

I have one of the original wood versions in the basement, might be part of my winter work list.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:19 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Thanks to everyone so far who has provided some advise. Hey CG Bob,....wanna sell me one of those kits so I can start a new boat from the ground up; or should I say the "Keel" up ? C'mon man; I'm a retired Coastie too. Please Bob,....PLEEEEAAASE ? LOL Name your price "CG Bob". Let's barter.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 07:45 PM
time poor
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2012
137 Posts
Have you tried skate board grip tape for your non skid? It comes in many different colours and in clear.
Though if your older than 18 you might get some odd looks going into a skate shop.
the_11th_guest is offline Find More Posts by the_11th_guest
Old Sep 17, 2012, 09:54 PM
United States, MA, Haverhill
Joined Aug 2011
140 Posts
Nonskid

A friend of mine in the Merrimack Valley Ship Model Club at the Custom House Museum in Newburyport, MA found a novel way to make nonskid. He took an old finely woven linen hankerchief, cut it to the shape he wanted, glued it to the piece to to be treated and then painted it. He said it could be worked over odd surfaces much like fiberglass cloth. On his model he painted it off white and it looked and felt very real. Cheap out too!

DDWILLIE
DDWILLIE is online now Find More Posts by DDWILLIE
Old Sep 17, 2012, 10:58 PM
KC8WPF
Euclid, Ohio, United States
Joined Sep 2004
3,765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amidships View Post
Hey CG Bob,....wanna sell me one of those kits so I can start a new boat from the ground up; or should I say the "Keel" up ? C'mon man; I'm a retired Coastie too. Please Bob,....PLEEEEAAASE ? LOL Name your price "CG Bob". Let's barter.
I say again: "I have ONE of the original wood versions in the basement, might be part of my winter work list. "
I posted three different pictures of the box. The model IS NOT for sale or trade.

You can get a fiberglass hull in 1:16th scale for the 47' MLB from Coast Guard Models. And MicroGlass makes a fiberglass hull in 1:32nd scale.
CG Bob is offline Find More Posts by CG Bob
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:48 AM
Near Fleetwood, lancashire, UK
Joined Jun 2009
1,295 Posts
don't bother sticking something on your deck that might lift when water gets under it, or doesn't go on flat, and leaves bubbles...get a can of this from your local home DIY store..........and spray your deck with it..........it is a superb textured paint that looks superb for USCG and RNLI boats
nhp651 is offline Find More Posts by nhp651
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Dang "CG Bob", you're a hard-ass ! LOL Just kidding with you my friend. If I still had one of those Midwest kits, I wouldn't part with it either. But you must admit, I had to a least ask, right? Thanks to everyone for your continued support and advice.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:51 PM
RC Flying;Lego Contraption Guy
Smalltown, USA
Joined Sep 2010
418 Posts
Why don't you mask the grip tape, them use a paintbursh to paint the areas in between?

Also, the light tower could be fabricated. I did that to my Canadian Coast Guard.
MrLego is offline Find More Posts by MrLego
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:44 PM
no such thing as to many boats
United States, NY, New York
Joined May 2010
1,870 Posts
Home depot sell non skid tape for steps comes in 2 sizes works great for any non skid deck.
louie R/C NUT is offline Find More Posts by louie R/C NUT
Old Sep 25, 2012, 02:18 PM
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,114 Posts
I just sifted out vthe size sand size I like. Put down paint. Poured on the sand. Done
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Old Sep 25, 2012, 09:28 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
673 Posts
5 bucks for a whole sheet at a skateboard shop. It even holds up underwater..
Just cut it out with scissors and you are golden.
D
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Jan 2012
4 Posts
Sweet mother of Pearl, I have struck the mother load. I just bought a Midwest Products - Coast Guard 47' MLB Kit on ebay. Kit came in today and is still completely pre-packed/never opened.