SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 04:32 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
Discussion
Want to DS - reaper good choice?

Thinking of getting a reaper ds extreme a second ds foamie sloper, to complement my Gv60 and Fredy.
Most of my flying has been on the front but have done some successful circuits. Reaper a good choice?
Comments please.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,315 Posts
reapers are great! But as a first ds foamy I'd go for a JW, just because they can take much more of a beating- which it WILL get.... Ahh Just get both!
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:39 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,288 Posts
The Reaper is more efficient than the JW, but as Josh says, the JW is more durable. I like the JW a little more than the Reaper as you can treat it dirty and it just keeps coming back for more. The JW can have a SERIOUS crash and be rebuilt to fly just as fast, if not faster with the extra weight, but first serious crash you have with a Reaper, it will never fly the same again.

I do like the way the Reapers groove and bang a turn though...
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:07 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
I have my GV60 to learn on. I'm currently converting that sloppy vtail linkage to a nice x-tail with elevator.
I would hope I could fly good consistent circuits before I risk the reaper. Once I can fly fast with the reaper, then I have a t tail Fredy, then a nyx and a pace ....
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:19 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,288 Posts
A guy here has come DSing with us a couple of times with his GV60. That V tail is craptastic! Worst tail set-up I have ever seen and pushrod would flex to the point that it would not control the plane unless the CG was super rearward.

Do a couple of simple mods to it and it will be a good DS trainer.

You are on to it with the new tail arrangement, just put the elevator servo as close to the new elevator as possible to enable a short linkage.

Put some carbon rods down the top and bottom of the Fuselage, making sure they go past the leading edge of the tailplane to tie all that in to the overall boom strength.

Add some weight to the thing! If yours is anything like the one I saw here, they are super light and carry no real energy.

But again, make sure the linkages are nice and solid and you will be sweet.

Hoping that may be of help
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:34 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
I know that tail is dire. Here are it's first circuits. First model in vid. Every time it hit the shear it bounced around and required a lot of correction. This is with the old V tail. Shes on the bench now. With the recommendation of the guys, that's why I'm converting.
Dynamic Soaring Skirrid Fawr (5 min 52 sec)

I did love the DS feeling of flying continually which you don't get on the front.
Last edited by jimbo320; Sep 16, 2012 at 05:54 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:06 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,288 Posts
I reckon by the look of those laps, you would enjoy the Reaper. They were some nice laps with the GV60. Would suit your conditions and site quite well.

Previous statements are still true though, they aren't as robust, but you will go faster in 20mph winds with a Reaper. Stronger air a JW would be better
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 05:54 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
What is the weak link on the reaper? The golf shaft? The wing? The one i have my eye on is a Mk1, without the enclosed fuz.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:56 AM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,288 Posts
Overall it is skinny and narrow and hence weaker.

The JW is much "Chunkier" and has a better ability to absorb impacts. The Reaper doesn't have much "give" in the design. A light Mk1 Reaper is as good as you will get a Reaper for robustness. Less inertia to absorb in an impact

I have had about 5 or more Reapers, and that says it in it's own. One good smack, and I had to build a new one. But again that says something, the fact I wanted to build more

I have had one JW and it is still flying somewhere (I sold it for some reason)
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 08:04 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
Thanks Alex, sounds like it would be a good second plane for me.
Here's my gv 60 so far. I had to cut the tail with a saw to remove the existing vtail linkage. I've patched it together with carbon tows, it's solid. Will add a single carbon rod, and single incidence pin.
My elevator is going to run the full length of the tail in a single balsa sheet.
I have a fin from an existing kit, what sort of area should I be using, bearing in mind I be using this exclusively for DS. I was also going to set the incidence at 2degrees.
Last edited by jimbo320; Sep 16, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:33 AM
Where is the inspiration
Moira
Joined Feb 2006
784 Posts
Dont shoot me down. different people have different theories, but is 10% not the rule? I am talking stab size relative to wing.
Think it depends on the moment (Distance between wing and stab)
wdeighton is offline Find More Posts by wdeighton
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:40 AM
Deniable plausibility
Derbyshire, UK
Joined Aug 2008
2,315 Posts
Jimbo. Buy this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Aircra.../dp/1854861905 IT WILL HELP!
Shedofdread is offline Find More Posts by Shedofdread
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:05 AM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeighton View Post
Dont shoot me down. different people have different theories, but is 10% not the rule? I am talking stab size relative to wing.
Think it depends on the moment (Distance between wing and stab)
Im talking fin here, not stab, as im using the existing stab from the existing gulp tail, just converting from V to X tail.

My fish was about the same wing area and moment. Its the fin of the fish (minus the rudder).

But the suspect the side loads on the gulp in a circuit would be far greater than that of the fish...
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:39 PM
PB of 733kph
Joined Jul 2005
5,288 Posts
Use the fin and rudder from the Le Fish together as one piece. Looking at my Le Fish, that seems about right. Make sure that Tailplane is mounted mice and solid. DS will do it's best to rotate/twist/pull/you name it
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:26 PM
Slopeaholic
Joined May 2011
3,653 Posts
Thanks All,
I was thinking of just the fin, the fin plus rudder is enormous.

I'm also converting my t tail Fredy by moving the servo to in the t tail fin. I need a suitable recommendation of a suitable approx 10g servo as space is very tight.
I'm using a small carbon rod or piano wire for the linkage. What would be the suggestion for ds friendly linkages, given the Fredy could potential go plus 150mph.
Thanks all,