HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:09 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Can this plane fly freely without cord or is it specifically made only for cord?
Jallenmusic is offline Find More Posts by Jallenmusic
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 28, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2012
5 Posts
Can this plane fly without the cord as well or does it only work while attached?
Jallenmusic is offline Find More Posts by Jallenmusic
Old Sep 28, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
There are no rudder or aileron controls, but that doesn't mean that you can't fly it without the cord.

After I got bored with control line, I converted a cute little balsa plank plane into free flight. Of course I had to straighten the rudder and trim it out. No reason you couldn't do that with one of these -- but why bother?
Matt Ls Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by Matt Ls Thumbs
Old Sep 28, 2012, 08:03 PM
F2G
Joined Apr 2005
7 Posts
I saw these at Wal-Mart yesterday. It looks like there are 2 different planes (P-51 and Spitfire) with 2 paint schemes on each for 4 different versions. They were $89.99 each. There were no actual pictures of the models on the box and I did not see the wing span or what the recommended flying circle diameter etc. was supposed to be. For 90 dollars I put it back. I still may pick one up. I was in a hurry and just took a quick look, so maybe the wing span etc. was on the box somewhere. I just wanted more information before I bought it. Does anyone have one of these? If so, let us know what you think. It looks pretty cool.
F2G is offline Find More Posts by F2G
Old Sep 29, 2012, 10:28 AM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
For $90, you can buy a RTF UM Champ.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
For $90, you can buy a RTF UM Champ.
Yes very true, although the targeted market seems different but dollar to dallor, people might want to choose something can really controlable, flying around a pole will soon found not much fun. If I can have Nine Eagle make plane for me, I will design something can steal the Champs market.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:06 AM
USA, CA, Walnut Creek
Joined Mar 2005
304 Posts
some videos

http://www.flylinerc.com/en/content/21-videos
specriv is offline Find More Posts by specriv
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:55 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Flight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmond Y View Post
In another word, this plane can only fly circle
Hello everyone, I'd like to clear up a few things. To answer your questions about flight, the planes fly extremely well when tethered, and because they fly so quickly and have only two channels for control, it is best to use them with the base. The lines come in 3, 6, and 9 foot lengths, allowing you to use them just about anywhere. The longer lines make it easier to do things like loops, inverted flight, and other tricks, and the shorter lines make it much more difficult for combat because the planes appear to move faster in such close quarters.

We have been at Toy Fair in Dallas this week, so we apologize for getting a little slow with responses to your posts and interest. The event has gone extremely well, and we have many exciting products in development for 2013 to expand our catalog. In addition, we have some wonderful videos from the event of people flying the planes, so we will be able to show you how easy they are to fly and how challenging they are to master as soon as we get them posted. I will post links when the videos go up.

To clear up any questions about pricing, the complete set (base, controller, pole, 3 lines, plane, and battery pack) retails for $89.99 at Wal-Mart and Toys R US. There is also an expansion pack that does not come with the base that retails for $54.99. All of these items can be purchased through our website as well.

We appreciate your patience as well as your interest in the product. If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask.
FlyLineRC is offline Find More Posts by FlyLineRC
Old Oct 04, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Aug 2012
342 Posts
Ah, so the plane/battery/TX set is really only $55. I wasn't considering the cost of the base before, in the $90 price tag for the kit.

Are the installed receivers actually 2-channel, or are there additional unused channels?
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:26 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
I wish these guys luck but kids are a fickle crowd. I'm not sure they'll pick this over champs, micro quadcopters and the like.

FYI, this idea isn't a new one. It's very, very similar to the old "round the pole" planes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-the-pole_flying

Amazing flying "round the pole" indoor model planes (1 min 14 sec)

They just added fly by wire technology which was already proven out by these guys a few years back.

Control Line Fly by Wire (5 min 31 sec)

Pro's of new system:
- elevator control

Cons:
- you can't fly all day long without recharging
- planes weigh more and therefore can't be as small
- can't make your own plane at minimal cost and effort

Might be more fun indoors if the planes were **much** smaller and wickedly fast and nimble.

Anyway, I wish them luck.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Last edited by groundfx; Oct 06, 2012 at 12:33 AM.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:31 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundfx View Post
I wish these guys luck but kids are a fickle crowd. I'm not sure they'll pick this over champs, micro quadcopters and the like.

FYI, this idea isn't a new one. It's very, very similar to the old "round the pole" planes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Round-the-pole_flying

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrtHqV7bSE

They just added fly by wire technology which was already proven out by these guys a few years back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfF-CHzT408

Pro's of new system:
- elevator control

Cons:
- you can't fly all day long without recharging
- planes weigh more and therefore can't be as small
- can't make your own plane at minimal cost and effort

Might be more fun indoors if the planes were **much** smaller and wickedly fast and nimble.

Anyway, I wish them luck.

Keep your eyes on us in 2013 if you'd like to see a smaller version of the planes. Also, if you haven't tried the planes out yet, you should definitely do so- they fly extremely fast, and I think you would be pleasantly surprised if you're thinking it's just another toy.

Thank you very much for the good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ls Thumbs View Post
Ah, so the plane/battery/TX set is really only $55. I wasn't considering the cost of the base before, in the $90 price tag for the kit.

Are the installed receivers actually 2-channel, or are there additional unused channels?
The complete set is something that you would only need to buy once, or just have a friend that owns one so that you have a base to which you can attach the lines and the planes. If you have a friend with a base, the expansion pack will be plenty, and you can combat together with the contents of those two packages.

The remotes are 2-channel, and control the propeller and the rear flaps. Because of the tethering, it is not necessary to control the ailerons or the rudder. We have plans to develop a 4-channel model as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions- I'm happy to help in any way that I can.
Old Oct 07, 2012, 02:55 AM
USA, WA, Bremerton
Joined Mar 2009
936 Posts
I love all things RC! Years ago I used to make round the pole airplanes out of just about any kids toys I could find, but never could add elevator to them only throttle. If I wanted to build one now this is the way I would do it. So you sold me on the concept thats for sure. I think its a natural progression for these sorts of planes and well thought out. We have a small business with 25 employees and large payroll and taxes to go along with it, so I of course wish you the very best in your endeavor.
I hope your sell tons of them. Good Luck
Oh and smaller planes would be cool also but mabey not so easy to do.
Keith
MUTCAKE is offline Find More Posts by MUTCAKE
Old Oct 18, 2012, 10:24 AM
Joined Oct 2012
18 Posts
Video

Hello everyone, I've uploaded a video of 3 planes in a combat sequence that was shot by a few of our pilots out having a good time. The video quality is amateur, but it shows the real possibilities with the planes. We will be posting more video to that channel very soon, so keep your eyes on it.

FlyLine RC 3 Plane Combat (1 min 47 sec)

You can also follow us on twitter and like us on facebook for giveaways, contests, and product news. We have a lot of exciting things happening over the next few months, and this is your chance to be among the first enthusiasts with a front row seat to the action.
Last edited by FlyLineRC; Oct 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: Video will not embed
Old Oct 19, 2012, 08:09 AM
Proud of Brushless Sprouts
Belgium, Flanders, Antwerp
Joined Feb 2007
323 Posts
How do they manage to stay clear of each other's wires??

I think this might be a seller for the appropriate target audience (kids, toy stores), but I like my planes to fly free.
Offer the empty airframes and I would be a happy customer
Commander Clumsy is offline Find More Posts by Commander Clumsy
Old Oct 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Nov 2008
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Clumsy View Post
How do they manage to stay clear of each other's wires??

I think this might be a seller for the appropriate target audience (kids, toy stores), but I like my planes to fly free.
Offer the empty airframes and I would be a happy customer
I like how you think, If they can fly free, I will buy even two channels and can fly at the work place parking lot when lunch break, it should be fun for this size.

Edmond
Edmond Y is offline Find More Posts by Edmond Y