HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:22 AM
Joined Sep 2012
16 Posts
Discussion
Dx5e and Blade 120 SR question

My 120 SF owner's manual says the following:
"I f using any other DSM2 compatible transmitter, please ensure Channel 5 output is set to full travel.
Note: Test this by inducing full cyclic (Aileron/Elevator) input and moving the switch or knob. There’s
approximately 10–15% less servo travel if the Channel 5 position is set wrong."

---
I am using the Dx5e transmitter that came with my Phoenix simulator. I want my 120 SR to be as easy to fly as possible, so, on the top-right of the transmitter, I set the "rate" switch to "lo" as compared to "hi." Please let me know if I am assuming wrong.

On the top-left side of the Dx5e transmitter is a "CH 5" switch that can be set to "0" or "1." Is this switch related to the aforementioned "full travel" statement? If so, is "1" full travel? And is that best if I want it to be easy to fly?

Thanks in advance for your help.
steve13905 is offline Find More Posts by steve13905
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:34 AM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hello

DX5e Manual
http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...eUserGuide.pdf

You will find that all you need do is bind the radio to the 120SR and fly.
You will not need mixing.
The channel 5 switch will serve no function on the 120SR.

Duel rates
Your DX5e is equipped with a high / low rate switch.
When the rate switch is in the high position the transmitter tells the the helicopter
aileron elevator and rudder servos that when you move the stick all the way right or left, up or down the corresponding servo can move 100% of it's available travel.

When the rate switch is in it's low rate position, the transmitter tells the the helicopter aileron elevator and rudder servos that when you move the stick all the way right or left up or down the corresponding servo can move 70% of its available travel.

This decreases the amount of maximum control surface deflection buy about 30%
and substantially decreases aircraft response to input.

Expo
Although it is not mentioned in the manual your DX5e has expo and it is easily turned on and off. The actual value of expo is 20%. Unlike Dual rates Expo softens the control around the centre of the control stick. When expo is turned on you will find the helicopter is much less prone to over react to small control input

If you are going to activate expo on your DX5e make sure that the helicopter has been bound to the radio first.

Keep in mind that DX4 and 5e are essentially the same radio inside the case!
DX4e expo (0 min 42 sec)
Imzzaudae is offline Find More Posts by Imzzaudae
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:47 PM
Joined Sep 2012
16 Posts
Thanks for your help, but I’m unsure about proper sequence of events.
You said, “If you are going to activate expo on your DX5e make sure that the helicopter has been bound to the radio first.”

Please check the following (thanks in advance for your patience):

SCENARIO A (fails).
--- 1. Bind helicopter to DX5e.
--- 2. While battery is plugged into helicopter (power light “on”), and DX5e is powered on, follow instructions on “expo” video.” This involves first powering “off” DX5e, then turning it back “on” with sticks manipulated as told.
--- 3. The helicopter does not respond to throttle stick.
(My guess is the helicopter is no longer bound to DX5e).

SCENARIO B (fails).
--- 2. While battery is NOT plugged into helicopter, but DX5e is powered on,
follow instructions on “expo” video. This involves first powering “off” DX5e and then turning it back “on” with sticks manipulated as told.
--- 3. Plug battery into helicopter. The helicopter does not respond to throttle stick.
(My guess is that the helicopter is no longer bound to DX5e).

SCENARIO C (does this succeed?):
--- 2. While battery is NOT plugged into helicopter, but DX5e is powered on,
follow instructions on “expo” video. This involves first powering “off” DX5e and then turning it back “on” with sticks manipulated as told.
--- 3. Plug battery into helicopter. The helicopter does not respond to throttle stick.
--- 4. Turn off DX5e.
--- 5. Bind the helicopter AGAIN. The helicopter responds at this point.

KEY QUESTION: Is the DX5e “expo” feature still activated at step 5 of Scenario C? Meaning, “expo” stays activated even after the DX5e has been powered off? And, if this is the case, then can I skip Step 1 of Scenario C?

Gratefully,
--- Steve
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hi

Sorry for the confusion!

Original bind the helicopter to the Dx5e.
See video clip.

Once you have this accomplished and the controls are working you can unplug helicopter shut transmitter off.

You can now turn expo on and off, without the helicopter plugged in.

Expo is a transmitter function.
And is Independent of the helicopter. So the helicopter does not need to be on when activating and deactivating expo.
Activate expo as in video.
Shut TX off.

Turn on TX, Plug in helicopter and let them hook together / rebind as always and fly.
Hope this clears things up.

Try this k.
Ron
Last edited by Imzzaudae; Sep 16, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Sep 2012
16 Posts
"Turn on TX, Plug in helicopter and let them hook together / rebind as always and fly."

Here's the problem. At this point, they are not hooked together. The helicopter has a blinking light instead of the steady light when they are bound. The helicopter does not respond. So, I unplug the battery, turn off the transmitter, plug the battery in, then bind.

My question is this: Is expo still activated at this point? I sense it might be activated, but I wonder if that is the power of suggestion. Just want to be sure.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 04:40 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hi

Yes. If you turned expo on, it will stay on until you manually turn expo off.
Even if you turn the radio of and on.
Old Sep 17, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Sep 2012
16 Posts
Thanks, Ron! I am noticing the difference with expo on. Close to the center position, the sticks do not move the helicopter as much, which makes hovering in place much more precise, and easier (much better for indoor flight). For a rookie like me, it's a nice confidence-booster to be able to keep the helicopter in mid-air with minimal movement. A calm "voice" (so to speak) says, "Hey, I can control this thing!"
At the stick's extremes, the helicopter is more responsive (e.g., "Get away fast from that wall!").
Old Sep 17, 2012, 11:11 PM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
The trick is

Relax and let it fly itself as much as you can!
Make small corrections and don't get so hung up on hovering in one spot.

Start moving the helicopter around a bit and the hovering will come naturally.

Hope this helps you.
Ron
A Real Basic Way To Learn To Fly Your Blade MSR (6 min 19 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:45 PM
Joined Sep 2012
16 Posts
Thanks, Ron. The video is very helpful.
But most of all, thanks for the DX5e tip that definitely results in a significant "taming" of the 120 SR so now I can easily fly it in my living room at home.

Here's a link to my YouTube video that celebrates the 120 SR fun, cheered on by my wife and two cats:

Steve's helicopter, with Jan and the cats (2 min 19 sec)
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:56 PM
United States, IL
Joined Aug 2012
264 Posts
congrats man.
lightfighter363 is offline Find More Posts by lightfighter363
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:21 AM
Joined Sep 2011
241 Posts
Hello Steve

Your welcome for the help.
Glad I was able to help you get flying your helicopter.
Ron