HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:55 AM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Help!
Align trex 450 plus vs Align trex 450 sport v2 Vs HK trex 450 clones

Hi all,

I'm moving on to a 450 size heli but seriously they do cost quite a bit. Here some of the arguments I have for each heli, really appreciate some advice and I am pretty sure most of you guys pro out there had gone down this path as well.

Align trex 450 plus
Cost: USD 437
Read a lot about this heli! The main attraction to most of us to buy this is that it comes with a Futaba tx. However, it has lots of plastic parts in the main rotor and the tail rotor as well. It does come with I think align newest digital servos but I'm not sure if I should factor this into the consideration list or not.

Align trex 45 sport v2
Cost: USD 453
My LHS has this RTF combo that comes with KDS KXII 7 tx and rx. Again, I've done quite some research on this tx but not much feedback from users. I understand this bird has more metal parts on it I.e. main head and tail. Nothing much to be said on the performance, my only concern is that the money I spend on this is a lilttle more then the align trex 450 plus but for a cheaper tx.

HK trex 450 clones
Cost: USD 200-300
I've follow some threads and videos on how to built a heli from scratch. I'm not too concern about it as it is fairly easy to do. However, I do not live in the state, this means that I have to order the entire heli parts. I've visited loads of hobby shops in my country, they do not carry this brand at all. The plus point for this setup is definitely the price! The price listed above does include charger, battery, tx/rx (turnigy 9x), HK 450 kit, and all the required electronics. The down side is, if my heli should crash, most definitely it will, I'll have to wait weeks for the replacement to be shipped, not to mentioned the time required to fix it. In other words, more time fixing it thn actual air time.

I reall hope to get some advice on which to get from some of you before I get any of this. As of now, my bet is on trex 450 plus. Thanks for reading guys!
Producer is offline Find More Posts by Producer
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 16, 2012, 03:30 PM
rc aircraft crasher
United States, MI, Lansing
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
i have a black angel made by copterx. i love it. its a 450, all metal and carbon fiber. you can get it in the ARF, kit, or RTF, i got the kit to put my own electronics in it. its belt driven. it can use most trex parts that i know of (i dont use them though). and you can buy like 6 different heads for it, fly bared, FBL, 3 bladed, 4 bladed, fully articulated 4 bladed, and 5 bladed. its really a good little heli if you dont want to go broke. the kit is like $100. if your worried about doing 3D, this little 450 is way more than capable even with the crappy electronics the ARF and RTF come with. hope it helps
jnmardister is offline Find More Posts by jnmardister
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:42 PM
Canada, ON
Joined Mar 2010
1,272 Posts
>The down side is, if my heli should crash, most definitely it will, I'll have to wait weeks for the replacement to be shipped, not to mentioned the time required to fix it. In other words, more time fixing it thn actual air time.

A Trex 450 clone means it's a copy of the original, so if you crash it, you can usually repair it with Align parts from a local hobby shop.
monkeyhanger is offline Find More Posts by monkeyhanger
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
United States, TX, Spring
Joined Aug 2012
25 Posts
dunno about other versions of the 450 from Align, but the 450+ uses a 120(121?)tooth slant main gear and 11t pinion. None of the local shops have ^, and the one shop that actually stocked em said they're on back order.

Online, I thnk I found one or two that actually had some in stock.
RoadkillStewie is offline Find More Posts by RoadkillStewie
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:16 AM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyhanger View Post
>The down side is, if my heli should crash, most definitely it will, I'll have to wait weeks for the replacement to be shipped, not to mentioned the time required to fix it. In other words, more time fixing it thn actual air time.

A Trex 450 clone means it's a copy of the original, so if you crash it, you can usually repair it with Align parts from a local hobby shop.
I second what monkeyhanger said. That's the good thing about the clones, you can use original parts or clone parts to fix it.
Crashes are part of flying...I remember I went to the lhs looking for parts and complained about how much I crashed and somebody just said "if you ain't crashing you ain't flying"...that is so true, especially when you are just learning. If you are concerned about downtime, you may want to stock up on some basic parts...if you get the HK one, you can get 2 kits, and just use one for parts.
In the end just go with what makes you happy. I've read good things about the align 450 plus. Good quality parts and you get a good radio with it. I would take the 450 plus over the 450 sport just for the TX, but that's just me.

Luis
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:26 AM
rc aircraft crasher
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
yes waiting for parts does suck... i forget that not everyone has to oder online. i would go with a clone until your ready to spend the money for the align. i compensate for the mail by buying extra everything so i always have extras. if it came down to the trex, i would definitely go with the metal parts.
Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Jul 2012
8 Posts
Hi all, thanks for the advices. I'm looking into copterx but I'm unsure on which model to go with. The 450 se v2 seems to be it at ehirobo.com for USD 199.00 without shipping. Any inputs? Jnmardister, thank you again to point me to copterx. I've noticed all their main rotor heads and tails has lots of alloy from copterx which is great! On the other hand align trex 450 plus has lots of "composite plastics". Do they really matter? How about the rtf electronics any reviews? Sorry for asking so many questions. Wanna get it right with my first 450.
Producer is offline Find More Posts by Producer
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:31 AM
Still a N00B
United States, TX, Odessa
Joined Mar 2012
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer View Post
Hi all, thanks for the advices. I'm looking into copterx but I'm unsure on which model to go with. The 450 se v2 seems to be it at ehirobo.com for USD 199.00 without shipping. Any inputs? Jnmardister, thank you again to point me to copterx. I've noticed all their main rotor heads and tails has lots of alloy from copterx which is great! On the other hand align trex 450 plus has lots of "composite plastics". Do they really matter? How about the rtf electronics any reviews? Sorry for asking so many questions. Wanna get it right with my first 450.
Check out the review on the 450 plus at rchelicopterfun.com. He's comparing it to the blade 450 since that's really what that helicopter is competing against. A good quality clone is a good idea though, saves you some $$$ for a good radio and extra parts.
lebaez is offline Find More Posts by lebaez
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:41 AM
rc aircraft crasher
Joined Sep 2012
251 Posts
i would go with metal over plastic anyday... plastic bends and its just crappy. metal is more precise and stronger. you might find yourself buying a new head if you crash hard enough with pastic... i have had some really bad crashes and the worst of it is the blades, flybar, main gear, and a few other parts. the reviews on the rtf electronics...? i have heard good and bad. personally i would rather get the kit. when i got my black angel i bought the motor ESC combo and both crapped out on me. the servos look cheap and plastic (i go with metal, no stripping) IMO align is great, they are the leaders in rc heli, everyone knows them and their rep is unmached for compition. that being said i would never buy ferrari for someone to learn how to drive in, just too expensive, over-powered, unnessesary ya know? one day i will get an align heli, wheni start doing good 3D and my knees dont shake when do something risky. if would suggest a 450 from copter x i would say the black angel or V4 both are very nice. i have the black angel like i said and wouldnt trade it for anything. i do plan to get the the V4 because it has the TT (torque tube) and i would like to see how it flies. i just took a look and the V4 FBL is only 70 bucks!!! questions about this is never bad lol you dnt wanna get something that will discourage you. let me know what you get.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:39 PM
United States, AL, Huntsville
Joined Aug 2012
5 Posts
You might find yourself with no head (on your shoulders) if the plastic fails and you are doing something like checking main rotor alignment. I just had that experience and it was scary. It was a practically new Trex 450 Plus which had flown about three short hops because it would not fly without spinning.
Barnero is offline Find More Posts by Barnero
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:40 PM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Producer View Post
Hi all,

I'm moving on to a 450 size heli but seriously they do cost quite a bit. Here some of the arguments I have for each heli, really appreciate some advice and I am pretty sure most of you guys pro out there had gone down this path as well.

Align trex 450 plus
Cost: USD 437
Read a lot about this heli! The main attraction to most of us to buy this is that it comes with a Futaba tx. However, it has lots of plastic parts in the main rotor and the tail rotor as well. It does come with I think align newest digital servos but I'm not sure if I should factor this into the consideration list or not.

Align trex 45 sport v2
Cost: USD 453
My LHS has this RTF combo that comes with KDS KXII 7 tx and rx. Again, I've done quite some research on this tx but not much feedback from users. I understand this bird has more metal parts on it I.e. main head and tail. Nothing much to be said on the performance, my only concern is that the money I spend on this is a lilttle more then the align trex 450 plus but for a cheaper tx.

HK trex 450 clones
Cost: USD 200-300
I've follow some threads and videos on how to built a heli from scratch. I'm not too concern about it as it is fairly easy to do. However, I do not live in the state, this means that I have to order the entire heli parts. I've visited loads of hobby shops in my country, they do not carry this brand at all. The plus point for this setup is definitely the price! The price listed above does include charger, battery, tx/rx (turnigy 9x), HK 450 kit, and all the required electronics. The down side is, if my heli should crash, most definitely it will, I'll have to wait weeks for the replacement to be shipped, not to mentioned the time required to fix it. In other words, more time fixing it thn actual air time.

I reall hope to get some advice on which to get from some of you before I get any of this. As of now, my bet is on trex 450 plus. Thanks for reading guys!
Hmmm , 9x depending on where your at $75 posted
HK450 , $40 posted
Then you want - Motor $20 posted , battery $20 posted , esc , gyro ... servos

You might save some if you buy as one job lot from HK [ postage ]

You also need tools :
And basic spare parts :
A charger :
N - stuff !
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:35 PM
FPV Noob KD0VMK
United States, MO, Platte City
Joined Jun 2012
311 Posts
No matter what kit you get, you're going to want to buy a bunch of spare parts anyways. Especially if you go the HK450 route, just get 2 heli kits, and then about $50 worth of spare parts. I go through tail booms and main shafts like they're candy.

The extra $50 hurts the wallet at first, but you'll make up for it the very first time you need to go to the hobby shop.

I would also recommend going the all-metal route, no matter what heli you get. I used to think plastic parts were fine, but as time has gone on I've found that metal parts survive crashes about 20x better. Back when my heli rotor head was all plastic, something would break with nearly every crash. Now that most of the parts have been replaced with metal, it's very common for me to have a minor crash, pick it back up, and fly it again. I still need to replace the tail boom quite a bit, but I don't think I've replaced anything else for 3 or 4 crashes now.
Chubbs is offline Find More Posts by Chubbs