Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:07 AM
Joined Jun 2012
245 Posts
Discussion
Cannot get HotenX camera add on working?

Has anyone got the HotenX camera add on working? It seems you use upgrade 2 plug, and use the gear switch to turn camera on and off. I get the blue light, but it meant to be flashing when camera is taking movie, but does nothing, so cannot work it out?

Has anyone ever got it working? I had one on my MX400 and worked fine, but does not seem to work on the HotenX?
denodan is offline Find More Posts by denodan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:51 PM
Joined Jan 2013
37 Posts
Hoten X Z-18 camera does work, just has bad instructions

Try NO instructions! I was about to throw mine away thinking it was a piece of junk because it would randomly stop recording and also create lots of corrupt files on the SD card. I THOUGHT setting the landing gear switch to 1 on the Devo 7 would turn it on and setting the switch back to 0 would turn it off. I was wrong.

In video mode, flipping the switch from 0 to 1 starts the recording process, BUT you must flip the switch back to zero within a few seconds to continue recording. The camera's blue LED will blink to let you know it is recording. It will continue to record until you again flip the switch from 0 to 1 and back to 0 again.

In photo mode, the camera will take a picture every time you flip the gear switch from 0 to 1. The LED will also blink once. So, after taking a picture, flip the switch back to 0 so that you can be ready to take another picture.

Hope this helps someone out there!
GRGanjei is offline Find More Posts by GRGanjei
Old Jan 12, 2013, 02:41 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRGanjei View Post
Try NO instructions! I was about to throw mine away thinking it was a piece of junk because it would randomly stop recording and also create lots of corrupt files on the SD card. I THOUGHT setting the landing gear switch to 1 on the Devo 7 would turn it on and setting the switch back to 0 would turn it off. I was wrong.

In video mode, flipping the switch from 0 to 1 starts the recording process, BUT you must flip the switch back to zero within a few seconds to continue recording. The camera's blue LED will blink to let you know it is recording. It will continue to record until you again flip the switch from 0 to 1 and back to 0 again.

In photo mode, the camera will take a picture every time you flip the gear switch from 0 to 1. The LED will also blink once. So, after taking a picture, flip the switch back to 0 so that you can be ready to take another picture.

Hope this helps someone out there!
Hope this helps? You bet it did. Thank you very much.
Because of this info I put the camera back on the Hoten and will start to use it now that I know what to do with the video part of it. I used to think you left the stick at position 1 for it to work and it never did.
Nerm is offline Find More Posts by Nerm
Old Jan 12, 2013, 05:50 PM
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jan 2013
11 Posts
Here is footage of what the camera quality is like:
My Hoten-X (1-12-2013)

I have a few on-board videos uploaded, feel free to check them out
Johnny NoPants is offline Find More Posts by Johnny NoPants
Old Jan 12, 2013, 06:45 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRGanjei View Post

So, how to you get from photo mode to video mode? (or visa versa)
MADHAT01 is offline Find More Posts by MADHAT01
Old Jan 12, 2013, 07:25 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADHAT01 View Post
So, how to you get from photo mode to video mode? (or visa versa)
Flip the switch on the side of the camera
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:12 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Mar 2012
20 Posts
Thanks Nerm. I never noticed the switch.
MADHAT01 is offline Find More Posts by MADHAT01
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:23 PM
Quads Helis Planes Cars
Canada, ON, Brampton
Joined Aug 2009
421 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MADHAT01 View Post
Thanks Nerm. I never noticed the switch.
Haha neither did I at first. Someone on Rcgroups clued me in.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 10:22 AM
Joined Mar 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny NoPants View Post
Here is footage of what the camera quality is like:
My Hoten-X (1-12-2013)

I have a few on-board videos uploaded, feel free to check them out
I saw in your vid description that you run a Hyperion 1800mah battery also. Looks heavy but dimensions seem to indicate it still fits in the hoten x battery holder. Follow up thoughts on how that battery has performed for you? 16 min of flight time sounds delicious.
maddermike is offline Find More Posts by maddermike
Old Apr 13, 2013, 12:40 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1 Posts
Hello......I inadvertenetly purchased a Hoten X-Z-18 camera set because it said it could be used for RC Planes and Vehicles....however can find no wiring instructions....does anyone have any idea what the Blue, Red and White wires connect to or control?

The plug doesn't fit anything I have and need to add new connector.
Cobra08 is offline Find More Posts by Cobra08
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:12 PM
Southern cal. Flyer
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
I just got Horton x fpv devo f7 and all I had was 32 gig class 10 card but its not recording right, keeps shutting off after a few seconds is card too big? Also the only switch on camera I see is red button. What is the right card for this quad? It is transmitting to tx and when gear switch is activated blue light blinks and on tx red light blinks and timer goes. Everything else seems right and flys well.
Robmacdon is offline Find More Posts by Robmacdon
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:13 PM
Southern cal. Flyer
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
Sorry forgot to mention camera is dv04.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 09:54 AM
Joined Mar 2013
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmacdon View Post
I just got Horton x fpv devo f7 and all I had was 32 gig class 10 card but its not recording right, keeps shutting off after a few seconds is card too big? Also the only switch on camera I see is red button. What is the right card for this quad? It is transmitting to tx and when gear switch is activated blue light blinks and on tx red light blinks and timer goes. Everything else seems right and flys well.
Well, I was going to open a new thread on this camera, but since your having similar issues to me, perhaps we can get some help here.

I too recently purchased the Hoten FVP set up and my camera matches yours. Its labled DEV04 but ordering info seems to indicate this is the z-18 camera. The only switch on the camera is the red press button at the rear. I have dissassembled the camera housing (it got wet) and I didn't see any other switches on the external housing. (I neglected to inspect the interior for switches, but why would one be there anyway?)

As I am new to quads in general I have been doing some experimenting to see if it is user error on my part for recording problems. The camera comes with no instructions to speak of and after quite a bit of searching on line, there is not much info out there as well. So, allow me to provide all the information I have learned at this point about my set up so that others can provide some feedback (hopefully).

Mine came with a 4gig Micro SD card - class unknown. Looking at the card, I don't see any markings that indicate the class although there is some kind of serial number on the back that may include that information.

Recording video to the card (as is stated else where on this forum) requires you to toggle the gear switch to '1' for about two seconds, and then returning it to '0'. Then the camera blue led will blink and the timer for the recorder shows in the bottom right of the tx screen.

The red push button appears to manually turn on the camera but it seems to activate the 'photo' mode in which I then takes a succession of photos until turned off.

When I turn on the video recording from the gear switch, it records, but seems to record in 'chunks' and many of the chunks don't appear in the video, leaving large segments as freeze frames. The video plays for 8 sec. and then freezes for 8,10,30 sec or more, and then another clip of video appears. It seems that the more movement the quad/camera is experiencing, the more gaps appear.

I tried pressing the camera red button and then recording (via the gear switch), thinking the button perhaps switches the camera mode somehow, but the video quality is unchanged.

I have heard that a higher class of card improves recording, but the previous poster's 10 class seems to indicated that might not be true.

So questions to community on this camera:

1. Am I missing something and user error is the end problem?

2. Do other Hoten x or Z-18 users have these problems?

3. Does a faster class card improve lag in the video recording?

I really love my Hoten X but I purchased it with recording in mind so this has been a major disappointment so far. Any feedback or links to other threads discussing this would be truly appreciated!
maddermike is offline Find More Posts by maddermike
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:38 AM
Southern cal. Flyer
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
All I did so far with the new sandisk 4 gig sdhc card is a hover test in my garage for a minute and a half. I didn't experience any video drop or choppiness. I'm charging my battery and going outside for further testing and will post results. We should get this figured out because there's YouTube videos with this setup that look fine. In shanmaos YouTube video he mentions using a 4 gig card so I went to RadioShack and they have the sandisk 4 gig sdhc card with adapter for 7.99. It is frustrating spending this kind of money and getting such a cheap camera. Also have you taken the sunshade cover off the tx? I tried pulling it off but the top isn't coming off and I don't want to break it
Old Apr 14, 2013, 10:47 AM
Southern cal. Flyer
Joined Jan 2013
46 Posts
I forget to mention sandisk 4 gig sdhc card has no class marking on card or package. I found on one seller site (walkerahelicoptersupply.com) they mention in fAQ section that this camera only takes up to 4 gig card.