Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Nov 27, 2003, 01:02 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Revell North Sea trawler

I've been given the job of converting this plastic kit into a working model.

I've done two others previously ,Lindberg Fletcher Class Destroyer (least said, the better) and the Flower class Corvette.

This one is only 14 inches long so presents a few challenges so I thought that I would post the details as it progresses.

The model is of a modern boat and in itself is a simple construction and finishing job with no surprises. I decided to make the deck and all detail removeable to give as much access as possible but hide the fixings so it looks like the original kit. The owner wants it to be a nice and shiny 'new out of the boatyard' finish so I can't put a lot of rust and wear on it - a pity really because that's the part I like most.

I joined up the hull parts and checked the weight needed to run at the correct waterline. It took 7 ounces after the structure was deducted. This will allow a standard 4 x AA box pack of NiCds, a receiver, switch and smaller car speed controller with BEC (they work down to 4.8v). No separate supply will be needed.

The motor is one from a standard Futaba servo and is connected through a flexible coupling (fuel tubing) to a homemade shaft/tube assembly to a cut-down prop which ends up at 3/4 inch diameter, three blades. If the motor is stalled it draws 290ma and runs the prop at 250ma in water so if throttle is used there should be some 2hrs of use from the 600mah battery.

The pics show what's done so far.

Tony
Tony Oliver is offline Find More Posts by Tony Oliver
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 27, 2003, 01:06 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Revell North Sea trawler

Here's the prop/shaft/motor - the tube from the shaft is for forced lubrication of course.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 01:08 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Revell North Sea trawler

The drive unit in place plus the rudder tube.
Old Nov 27, 2003, 09:05 PM
Control Stick Killer
Essex U.K.
Joined Nov 2003
16 Posts
Nice looking project, surely easier to use a net on a pole to get the fish out of the pond!
Just pulled apart an electric toothbrush and found a really nice and small Braun motor (3v) and pretty torquey(sic).
Might even be tempted to build a plastic kit conversion.
wetlectricks is offline Find More Posts by wetlectricks
Old Dec 06, 2003, 10:37 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Revell North Sea trawler

Some progress now - the painting and construction is almost complete.

Various bits have been acquired and siting of components decided. The balance to the waterline fixed by loading the bits in the hull and shifting them around until about right.

There are now some plastic bits installed to locate the RX, Speed controller and battery.
Old Dec 06, 2003, 10:40 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Revell North Sea trawler

Here's a pic of the bits dropped into place to show the layout. A switch is needed so the location of that still needs to be decided.

A 800mah NiCd was bought for the model (the ERC will switch down to 4.8v) so only one battery needed). As the motor draw is only 250ma, there's plenty of scope to get bored well before the battery runs out.

Tony
Old Dec 06, 2003, 10:54 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,203 Posts
Looking Good Tanyo.
How heavy a sea will she take?
Do you get to dirty it down like your Fletcher, or do you
have to deliver it straight from the shipyard?
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Old Dec 06, 2003, 03:18 PM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Revell North Sea trawler

Don't you mean how light a sea?

I've just measured it, and I have a full 5/16" of freeboard! I hope there are no ducks stirring the water within 200yards - the wake might be enough to sink it. Glass-smooth seems about right for what I need.

There is some compressible foam to be fitted but even now the deck fit is very close and water splashed onto the deck doesn't run inside. Of course I also hope there are no modellers like you within 10 miles! Holes in the side, I can do without.

I've also come against a problem I didn't expect. The wires from and to the ESC are so thick and rigid that I'm having trouble stopping them pushing the deck up. I'm in the process of making cabe retaining clips on the inside of the hull to keep them under control. The switch is also a bit of a problem as it needs to be small enough to be unobtrusive - the original idea was to incorporate it into the aft lifeboat derrick, but that too needs a rethink.

Unfotunately the person I'm building it for wants it pristine-out-of-the-boatyard so I can't rust, dust and stain it. (I saw a superb model at the last exhibition I went to - you could almost smell the fish! - see pic attached)

Tony
Old Dec 09, 2003, 07:33 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,548 Posts
Tony

That's brilliant- you're an inspiration. I just want to say how much I have enjoyed your posts in this forum and I'm looking foward to seeing the finished article.

thanks

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Dec 09, 2003, 11:12 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,203 Posts
Is that a 4pack of AA batteries?
Can you downsize them to Nimh AAA to save on weight?
It sounds line every little bit of draught will count here.
What about one of those Lipoly batteries that the Heli-flyers use?
(although Lipoly's may need a special charger)

And at only 250mah draw, you could resize the wiring on the ESC to a lighter guage.

Here are some battery specs.
Kokam High Discharge LiPo Battery
Kokam 640 mAh High Discharge (5C) Lithium Polymer Single Cell with a Bare PCB Attached.
Size: 62mmH x 34mmW x 4.15mmT
Weight: 16 grams
Ratings: 5C Max. Cont. Discharge
Outputs: 3.7V Nominal, 640 mAh $6.60

KOK700HCT
Kokam High Discharge LiPo Battery
Kokam 700 mAh High Discharge (6C / 85%) Lithium Polymer Single Cell with a Bare PCB Attached.
Size: 60mmH x 33mmW x 4mmT
Weight: 16 grams
Ratings: 6C / 85%
Outputs: 3.7V Nominal, 700 mAh
Applications: Supports up to 4.2A continuous discharge
Old Dec 09, 2003, 11:21 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
North Sea Trawler

Thanks Brian - although I must say I've been called a lot of things, but never an inspiration!

With a bit of luck, the final pics - in the water and working - should be tomorrow evening as it's being finished off over the next couple of hours or so (fitting a RX aerial giving sufficient range isn't too easy on a model this size). Feet wet is scheduled for tomorrow afternoon if I can escape the Christmas shopping thing.

While we're talking boats, and referring to our previous stuff about scale crew on these boats, here's a pic of the figures I used for my 1/125th destroyer - I managed to get another set and as they are near enough right for the trawler, I'll be putting a couple on there as well. A few appropriate blotches of paint works wonders.

Tony
Old Dec 09, 2003, 11:53 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
Hi Umi. Thanks for the battery suggestion, but weight isn't the problem The AA cells are needed for their weight, and I still need to add 1.5oz of church roof to the model to get the right waterline. If I don't it's unstable and rolls badly with full rudder and power. I've reduced the rudder throw but the level is still needed at the scale point. I tried it in the test tank (kitchen sink).

The owner is aware of the limitations and is happy at that. He really only wants to see that it works then intends to keep it on display on his window sill.

I hope he does use it occasionally as well, but that's up to him. He is a well experienced modeller so he knows what he's doing.

Now, a 12inch destroyer - 1inch beam......................No, I don't think so! Not unless the ESC people make a car/boat controller with a size similar to parkfly/indoor ones. If they do, your problem is to get the guns down to the size I need.....

Tony
Old Dec 09, 2003, 12:33 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,203 Posts
1inch beam?

Does this give you any ideas?
http://www.microrccenter.com/forum/i...howtopic=15681

We had a friend build up a 1/700 scale Iowa class too.
Same reciever I believe, and he just cemented the pot in the servo so it stayed centered.
Old Dec 09, 2003, 12:38 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,203 Posts
Here is that 1" beam next just astern of a 19" beam 1/72nd scale Bismark.

Good use for servo as speed control.

(will infrared combat suffice?)
Old Dec 10, 2003, 03:10 AM
North-East England
Joined Mar 2002
3,400 Posts
That is superb!

There's no indication of the size in the firt photograph. The second is one of those mind-boggling pics which looks more like a photoshop job than a real pic..

Yes - definitely some ideas, and not using stock radio gear this time. I think the IR gun thing has a future too, but some way off yet. Perhaps an onboard camera system too? This could really lead somewhere interesting - if a bit expensive.

Tony