Old Oct 28, 2012, 02:54 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post
Can you guys get a video?

Does it still require the special bearing mount and longer shaft that I saw somebody do in some video a year or two ago? Or are there simplier ways to do a fast electric conversion?
The special bearing mount was only because he was running a 1210kv motor on 6s so the motor must have been turning about 25,000RPM. The sky high RPM caused the shaft the flex and the extra bearings were to fix that problem. It was nothing to do with the Outlaw model, that just happened to be the plane he had the motor fitted to.

Video was posted earlier in this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=12
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:17 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
That makes sense.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 29, 2012, 06:15 PM
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Feb 2012
128 Posts
Been a crazy couple of days. Here are a few more pics of my conversion.

I chose to use a scrap piece of 1/8 balsa across the top of the battery/electronics compartment. Epoxied it on the ends and then covered it in CA to give it a bit of extra hardness

Same thing, different perspective. NOTE: I had to carve out a small section in front of the Balsa strip to allow enough room for the ESC connectors to fit into the Hatch area

35mm Standoffs put the back of the Prop about 2mm off the front of the cheek cowling using a Torque 2814T/820. Other sized motors will require different sized standoffs.

Slight trimming of the Cheek Cowling was necessary to avoid the Motor from rubbing.

Two notches were cut from the Hatch cover to allow the ESC wires to reach inside the compartment. Also two Hatch Latches from an Extreme Flight Vanquish were added to keep the hatch locked down at speed.

Same thing different perspective

Underside of Hatch cover, Latches were secured with 30min Epoxy. They have a 1/8" gap between the top of the pin and the bottom of the lid. Its tricky to get them latched under the piece of Balsa but once secured the lid is on SOLID

Back side of Hatch Cover. Popsicle sticks epoxied to hold the rear of the cover in place.

Side view

Same thing

Hatch cover on. Note how the ESC wires are routed

Hope this helps someone get their conversion up and running!
zhavener is offline Find More Posts by zhavener
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:53 PM
USA, OR, Oregon City
Joined Sep 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhavener View Post
Been a crazy couple of days. Here are a few more pics of my conversion.

I chose to use a scrap piece of 1/8 balsa across the top of the battery/electronics compartment. Epoxied it on the ends and then covered it in CA to give it a bit of extra hardness

Same thing, different perspective. NOTE: I had to carve out a small section in front of the Balsa strip to allow enough room for the ESC connectors to fit into the Hatch area

35mm Standoffs put the back of the Prop about 2mm off the front of the cheek cowling using a Torque 2814T/820. Other sized motors will require different sized standoffs.

Slight trimming of the Cheek Cowling was necessary to avoid the Motor from rubbing.

Two notches were cut from the Hatch cover to allow the ESC wires to reach inside the compartment. Also two Hatch Latches from an Extreme Flight Vanquish were added to keep the hatch locked down at speed.

Same thing different perspective

Underside of Hatch cover, Latches were secured with 30min Epoxy. They have a 1/8" gap between the top of the pin and the bottom of the lid. Its tricky to get them latched under the piece of Balsa but once secured the lid is on SOLID

Back side of Hatch Cover. Popsicle sticks epoxied to hold the rear of the cover in place.

Side view

Same thing

Hatch cover on. Note how the ESC wires are routed

Hope this helps someone get their conversion up and running!
Nice job! Are you going to add the cheek piece to fill in that little void?
If so, I'd be interested in how you make that up.
Thanks!
Dano
dano02vfr is offline Find More Posts by dano02vfr
Old Oct 29, 2012, 09:54 PM
ProBro, 3D
United States, FL, The Villages
Joined Jul 2008
946 Posts
Nice job Z! I'll be looking forward to your maiden report.

What is the other gear in your setup?
Are you running 4s or 5s with the Hacker Motor? What mAh and C rating?
What Amp ESC do you have?
gregory.da is offline Find More Posts by gregory.da
Old Oct 29, 2012, 10:20 PM
Wherever you go there you are
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,456 Posts
very cool
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:47 PM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,705 Posts
Im putting a Tunigy 3542-1250 motor on mine, gonna run it on 4s 5000ish batts. I ran this in a mpx blizzard with great success. May try 5s later..
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Oct 31, 2012, 06:38 PM
Joined Feb 2012
128 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory.da View Post
Nice job Z! I'll be looking forward to your maiden report.

What is the other gear in your setup?
Are you running 4s or 5s with the Hacker Motor? What mAh and C rating?
What Amp ESC do you have?
I am running a Torque 2814T/820 with an Airboss 60A ESC.
For the First few flights I am going to be using Haiyin 4s 2650mAh @20c because that is what I have on hand. I plan on upgrading to 5-6s Batteries in the near future once I get a feel for how this bird fly's.

I am using a Spektrum AR400 Rx with a DX6i Tx and Hitec HS5485HB servos

Unfortunately I will be out of town for the next 2-3 weeks building a Barn for my Dad so the Maiden will have to wait till I get back.

I plan on adding a Cheek Cowl to even things up but as a rule of thumb I dont add "extras" until after the Maiden and I know how the plane reacts. I will Take pics of building the cowl when I build it and I will post them here
Old Nov 12, 2012, 06:41 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
I'm building one of these for bigmoe - have to say it's a nice change of pace from the the traditional builds I've been doing.

Bigmoe is using mini servos also so in order to make them fit and line up with the servo arm opening on top I had to cut out some spacers.
MLT67 is online now Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Nov 29, 2012, 09:15 PM
Joined Feb 2012
128 Posts
The weather looks like it will be Great this weekend so I plan on taking the Outlaw to the field this weekend for her maiden I am going to iron out a few wrinkles in the covering and bench test everything tomorrow afternoon. If all goes well ill pack it up and we will see what happens.
Old Nov 29, 2012, 10:18 PM
USA, OR, Oregon City
Joined Sep 2004
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhavener View Post
The weather looks like it will be Great this weekend so I plan on taking the Outlaw to the field this weekend for her maiden I am going to iron out a few wrinkles in the covering and bench test everything tomorrow afternoon. If all goes well ill pack it up and we will see what happens.
Let us know how it went!
Dano
dano02vfr is offline Find More Posts by dano02vfr
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:00 AM
Joined Mar 2008
3,705 Posts
Looking forward to flight report. MLT is almost finished working on mine.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Nov 30, 2012, 07:15 AM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
Looking forward to flight report. MLT is almost finished working on mine.
I should be able to give you a flight report soon.
MLT67 is online now Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Dec 02, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Feb 2012
128 Posts
Put 6 flights on my Outlaw today used ZERO clicks of trim on the Maiden and she flew AWESOME! This thing is a joy to fly. Next time I go to the field I am going to take my Eagle Tree Data Logger out of my MXS and get some GPS readings. IT is Definitely faster than the 48" MXS and that will go 74.2mph (on 4s with an aeronaut 12x6 prop) according to the GPS. I'm about to buy a couple 6s packs since 4s is the biggest I have at the moment.
Old Dec 02, 2012, 05:35 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,559 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
I should be able to give you a flight report soon.
Well, ya gotta test fly it to make sure everything's OK right?
C_Watkins is offline Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member