Old Oct 20, 2012, 10:43 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerosheldon View Post
Anybody got a vid?

Any word on an e-version coming out?
nothing in the near future due to the number of other planes currently being developed
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 22, 2012, 08:06 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Mar 2008
3,744 Posts
Yea when I talked to Hinson last week he said it might be in the works but not until next year.
He still has blue and yellow ones in stock I believe. I got most of the stuff ready for mine. Just trying to figure out what prop and ESC size. for my motor on both 4 and 5s
bigmoebbq is offline Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Oct 23, 2012, 08:00 PM
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Feb 2012
129 Posts
Im going to throw in my $.02 on this as I am just waiting on new standoffs for my motor before I can finish my conversion.

The Outlaw I received had holes pre-drilled for the Glow motor with blind nuts installed already. The standard X mount for a Brushless Outrunner will not be able to use these holes. In order to remove the blind nuts you need to heat them up to weaken the glue(epoxy) that keeps them tight. I found a tip for my soldering iron that would fit in the threaded section of the nuts, cranked up the heat all the way and lightly pressed the iron into the nut pushing it back into the airframe, as the nut heats up the adhesive weakens and the nuts fall back into the airframe where you can safely remove them(THEY WILL BE HOT) after they cool

As for mounting the new motor I drilled out the original mounting holes with a 13/64th bit and cut a 3/16ths oak dowel into 3/16ths long sections and inserted them into the holes and set them with 30min Epoxy. While the epoxy was curing I took a 2" section of a 3/8ths dowel and drilled a 13/64ths hole as close to the center as I could with a drill press. The shaft of the Torque 2814T/820 is 13/64". Insert the dowel into the remaining hole in the firewall, attach the X mount to the motor and stick the motor shaft protruding through the back into the hole in the dowel. This ensures that the new locations keep the motor centered on the firewall. Mark the locations for the new blind nut locations, drill them out and re install the blind nuts

Unfortunately the shutter on my phone camera locked shut after taking this picture so I dont have any other Pics. Im taking it to get looked at tomorrow, If it gets fixed ill take more pics and post them in case anyone is confused

Here is a small Video I took at eWeek of Jewett and his eOutlaw. Sorry its sideways, not sure how to rotate it.
zhavener is offline Find More Posts by zhavener
Last edited by zhavener; Oct 23, 2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Video
Old Oct 23, 2012, 10:09 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Nice work z!
EXTREME FLIGHT is offline Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
129 Posts
New Phone should be in hand tomorrow by noon!!! I have finished my Conversion less the new servo horns due in Saturday and the cheek cowl since no store in town has 3/4" triangle stock (anyone have a 5" scrap they want to send me?)

Regarding the CG. The book says "The CG range for the Outlaw is 11.75 inches to 12.25 inches measured forward from
the rear edge of the center fixed portion of the trailing edge of the wing." Say THAT 5x Fast

Is "the rear edge of the center fixed portion of the trailing edge of wing " the trailing edge closest to the rudder? is there a CG measurement from the firewall back?

Once i get the new phone in had ill take some more pics and upload them here.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:31 AM
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
This picture should help Zach.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:35 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,744 Posts
Right side up or inverted.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
Right side up.
Site Sponsor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:04 PM
Joined Mar 2008
3,744 Posts
Sweet. MLT has mine! getting it ready !
Old Oct 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
Sweet. MLT has mine! getting it ready !
I'm afraid this build will require extensive testing before I can feel comfortable giving it the final OK.

MLT
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:51 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLT67 View Post
I'm afraid this build will require extensive testing before I can feel comfortable giving it the final OK.

MLT
HA!
Back when I was building engines, carbs and such... I used to feel the same way whenever a Corvette, Camaro or Mustang was subjected to my wrenching

I mean... it's a liability, right? You should probably give it a very thorough test drive flight.
... or three.
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:52 PM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,485 Posts
Can you guys get a video?

Does it still require the special bearing mount and longer shaft that I saw somebody do in some video a year or two ago? Or are there simplier ways to do a fast electric conversion?
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:52 PM
USA, OR, Oregon City
Joined Sep 2004
78 Posts
Subscribed!

Subbed
dano02vfr is offline Find More Posts by dano02vfr
Last edited by dano02vfr; Oct 26, 2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: sp
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:20 PM
Joined Feb 2012
129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post

Does it still require the special bearing mount and longer shaft that I saw somebody do in some video a year or two ago? Or are there simplier ways to do a fast electric conversion?
No special bearing mount that I am aware of. I certainly didn't use anything like that, just standoffs and a brushless motor.
I will post a few pictures this afternoon.

IF the wind goes away this week I am ready to Maiden!!!!!
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:44 PM
This is NOT a TOY?
Joined Jul 2011
2,584 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolfRC View Post

Fred at HPP got some good footage of Chris Jewett flying his at eWeek, but you'll need a Flight Pass membership to see it.

You can use the setup from one of the 48" planes and get 80-90mph out of it, I think I heard. (on 4s) Or bump it up to 5s and get 100+mph out of it.
The rear bearing was part of a mod for a particular Scorpion motor I think... for a very fast setup.

Looked plenty fast to me on the 5s setup Jewett was running, but I'm not into any rc model going much faster than 100mph
(At least right now. Just haven't been bitten with the extreme speed bug yet, I guess. Not sure my eyes or nerves are up for anything much faster anyhow)
C_Watkins is online now Find More Posts by C_Watkins
RCG Plus Member