HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:11 PM
Team Extreme! Team Twisted!
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Discussion
Extreme Flight Outlaw - Electric Conversions

So, we've been playing around with an electric conversion Outlaw recently and have gotten a lot of good response from people. A lot of people are surprised at the performance (speed) and capability (3D) that a nice light E setup brings to this bird. We've been getting a lot of calls and emails about it so I thought I would just post all the info here.

This plane was designed by Jerry Smith in the dawn of the 3D era. At the time there weren't many planes that could do a pop-top, a blender, a wall or a centrifuge but the Outlaw could not only do them but do them silly crazy! And today there are a lot of planes that can do all those maneuvers but there aren't many planes that can do all of that and go faster than hell one inch off the ground like they are on rails!

Is it really a 3D plane? Well, by strict definition yes. With the E conversion power and weight it is more than capable of post stall flight. It will Harrier and it will Hover and it will be controllable in post stall flight. Now, it won't 3D as easily or well as any purpose built modern 3D plane but the guys who will want this will be the ones who like to poor on the coals and to a 150mph Pop Top or a Blender that will wrap up so fast that it turns into a frisbee. This is the plane to fly when you are tired of practicing Torque Rolls or reading Aresti.

Flight Performance:

-Rolls are a freakin blurr! On low rates it tracks and rolls extremely well. Point rolls are crisp, continuous rolling is possible even at crazy speed with good rudder control! Snap Rolls are very fast.

-Knife Edge - Well not so much. It'll do them but you have to fight with the ailerons. Not much side area here (bad for tumble, spin and speed).

-Tumbles - Go fast and bang the sticks in any corners on high rates and it will wad up into a ball and do CRAZY stuff! Our favorite is the Centrifuge where you start with an inverted flatspin and reverse the elevator from down to up. it will spin up so fast that it just looks like a blurr.

-Speed passes - It is seriously "THE" stable high speed cruiser to have.

-Low Speed - It will slow down to a walking pace with this light E setup. No tip-stalling or crazy delta wing stuff. Easy to land. A real pussycat to fly.

-Takeoffs are a no brainer. Point the nose vertical, mash the throttle forward and let go. It will go up like a rocket. No sketchy hand launches here!

-3D - I can Harrier and Hover it but it will take you a lot of practice to get it low. I'm not there yet.

-Waterfalls are sick! It breaks the stall very clean.

Setup:

The goal of the setup here is to have a reasonably fast yet light setup to get the best of both speed and aerobatics. There are a lot of guys who are running these things on 6S setups and pushing 180mph with high KV motors and a lot of very cool noise! Find Mike Fuller (C/F here on RCG) for some sick "Big Motor" setups. I think Mike is running a Scorpion 4015 Mikado heli motor with a slick 3rd bearing mount/heatsink.

Anyway, here's what we are running:

Torque 2814-820
Airboss 60
3 X Mini Servos - HS5245 etc..
APC 10X7E
Gens 5S 3300 25C

Power = 10x7@ 1010 watts

So, this is basically the 48" motor running on 5S versus 4. We have clocked it several time using several Doppler devices. It seems like the normal flat out straight and level speed is 133MPH. We had straight passes from 119 to 140 with most of them registering in the 130s. From a slight dive we could get it up to 145.

It is a quiet and efficient setup. A lot of people won't think it is that fast until you zip it down the runway or keep it low enough to where proximity to the ground shows the speed. If you are looking for a sleeper speeder this is a good setup. If you want to wake up the the party people in the early morning at SEFF then is not going to be loud enough for you. There are plenty of good E setups out there to do that.

If you want to push the limit of this setup you can go up to an 80 amp ESC and put on a 10/10 APCE. That'll give you another 200 watts and speed it up a good bit but you had better allow a lot of time for cooling the motor and be nice on the throttle.

In general anything from this size 28mm motor all the way up to 500 heli size outrunners will work. The higher the KV the better. Anything 800 or more will be in the ballpark maybe.

I think with the new high speed aerobatics (Xtreme Aerobatics XA) that are in vogue now that this little honey fights right in at the 3D flight line. As a one piece toss it in the car and go plane it couldn't get much better!

Build notes in the pics.

Happy flying!
hercdriver7777 is offline Find More Posts by hercdriver7777
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:14 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
I guess the question is what do we call the electric version?

E-Outlaw, E-Law, Out-E-law, Outlaw -E..
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:20 PM
United States, GA, Acworth
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
does EF have any plans on making a dedicated E version of this or at least making a electric add on package available separate?

Hope your bringing this to e-week i would love to check it out
shadow102 is online now Find More Posts by shadow102
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:22 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
I will definitely bring it to E-Week.

As for a dedicated electric version, I will let Hinson answer that. I think it would be cool to do a modern updated E version of this!
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:38 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
I agree i would love to ditch my stryker Q for some EF goodness
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:45 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
No need to wait. This is an easy conversion and it eats Stryker for snacks.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:27 PM
It's just a hobby
USA, GA, Hoschton
Joined Nov 2005
10,196 Posts
Can't wait to see this fly at e-week
MLT67 is offline Find More Posts by MLT67
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:31 PM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,007 Posts
I would be very very interested in an updated e-version of this kit if one were made... used to have an orange glow version, but sold it due to all the difficulty in starting/launching it. Would jump on an orange one in a heartbeat though.
ryan_m is online now Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:56 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,087 Posts
updated e-version

where is the order button?
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:54 AM
It's gone...
Germany, NRW, Heinsberg
Joined Aug 2004
5,065 Posts
Since it is an electric version you could call it Ohm's Law.
_OZ_ is offline Find More Posts by _OZ_
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:15 AM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,433 Posts
do you think a 5S 5000 mah pack will work? I have 4 of these i use in my 78" . I think I have all the rest of the stuff.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Mar 2011
4,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmoebbq View Post
do you think a 5S 5000 mah pack will work? I have 4 of these i use in my 78" . I think I have all the rest of the stuff.
i saw a video yesterday of someone running a 6s 5000 so i would imagine a 5s 5000 would fit just fine in there

found the video

Extreme Flight Outlaw Fast Brushlesss Electric Conversion in HD! (5 min 6 sec)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:48 PM
Lawrenceville, GA
Joined Mar 2008
3,433 Posts
yea I was curious if the extra weight would be an issue on the smaller motor. I love this idea just am not sure of the cg location. and a few details. I have 2 motors I believe. I do not want a super fast but alight freaky setup would be cool.
bigmoebbq is online now Find More Posts by bigmoebbq
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:22 PM
Columbia SC
Joined Feb 2005
4,324 Posts
Weight is definitely not the issue. Space is the issue. 5s 3300 is about as big as you can fit in the stock battery bay. However, Mike Fuller sells a carbon fiber turtle deck that will allow you to stuff 6s 5300 in there. PM C/F if you want one of those.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:04 PM
United States, NC, Ellerbe
Joined May 2012
27 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
updated e-version

where is the order button?
Plus 2!!!!!!!!
snotrag is offline Find More Posts by snotrag