HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:13 AM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
356 Posts
Hi invertmast

Have you figured out how to get the AS3X board into brushless mode, if it can be done. I have had no luck doing this yet?
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:22 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by invertmast View Post
I can't wait to build mine as I have a AS3X board for it..
Which board will you be using?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:55 AM
United States, FL, North Port
Joined Mar 2004
3,302 Posts
Ive got a spare board out of the umx geebee so its already brushless and all.
invertmast is offline Find More Posts by invertmast
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
356 Posts
I contacted Horizon about re-programing the Spit's AS3X board and received the following reply:

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for contacting Horizon Hobby's Product Support Department.
*Please do not respond to this email* This email address is not monitored. Please use the link below.

No you cannot the X-port is designed for a brushless system but we never supported the part to make it work.

To reply to this e-mail or to place another Horizon Hobby Support Inquiry, please visit our inquiry form. If you are referencing a past request, please include the following ticket number when prompted: 48,478

Don't forget, our phone staff is available at 1-877-504-0233, Monday through Friday, 8am-7pm CST, Saturday 8-5pm CST and Sunday Noon-5PM CST.

Thank you,
David
We help YOU have fun with Hobbies!
Horizon Hobby Product Support
4105 Fieldstone Rd.
Champaign, IL 61822
1-877-504-0233
Old Nov 02, 2012, 01:23 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
356 Posts
I managed to get the AS3X board working with a brushless esc by connecting the esc to ch6 and mixing that to the throttle on my transmitter. The maiden flights with the brick out of the AS3X spit were done today in 15 - 25 mph winds in between the heavy rain. Not ideal conditions!!!
First flight with the brick programmed to warbird caused the ailerons to over correct so violently that the wings were a blur rocking from side to side. Back home I reprogrammed the board to speed setting as this appeared to have the lowest gain setting on the ailerons of all the profiles available. Horizon should really update its software to allow us to independently adjust the gains on all the gyros, please? Back at the rugby pitch and a gentle underarm toss, WOW!!! Rock solid flight with only a little aileron flutter from the gyro if flat out across wind. I made some flat out low level passes 2 - 3 ft and the butcher bird flew like on rails and looked superb, not like a flat foam model at all! Thank you Jon for giving us these amazing models. Now it's off to the indoor club tonight to have another go.

Kev
Old Dec 16, 2012, 05:19 PM
Joined Sep 2012
420 Posts
Here's some video footage of rcpaintfx's Fw190 at the tennis dome that I managed too capture whilst down there this Sunday.

Great flying Kevin!

Jon

Microaces Fw190 A8 Indoor flight flown by K.Waite (5 min 27 sec)
MICROACES is offline Find More Posts by MICROACES
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 16, 2012, 06:45 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
356 Posts
Thanks Jon

I also tried a GWS 5 x 4.3 prop later in the day, not the flight in the video and noticed an increase in power. Speed was increased but it made my little bit of aileron flutter/over correction on the gyro, using the AS3X board, a bit worse, but would not stop me flying it that way. Second flight with the 5 x 4.3 the prop kept flying off, so will try a new prop adaptor next time.

Might need to get me one of those Spitfires when you release them. It looked great today when you gave us the demo flights of your prototype.

Kev