HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:43 PM
United States, AL, Northport
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Discussion
Comments/Suggestions on next build

Hi guys,

About to start a new build of a Piper Comanche. I am going to try adapting s plan I found for a tissue and balsa model and would like comments and suggestions on what I have so far. Mainly concerned with control surface sizes. And any special tricks about balancing low-wing planes. Attached below is a jpeg summary page with current measurements.

Mike
mwrey35475 is offline Find More Posts by mwrey35475
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,041 Posts
That looks OK to me.
I'd be taking the rudder all the way to the top, rather than having that fragile fin extension. I'd make the elevator full-span too.
And I'd have ailerons. I like to get roll-control directly, not as a secondary result of yaw.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Sep 14, 2012, 08:46 PM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Whiskers. I believe I will make the changes you suggested on the elevator and rudder. All the planes I have flown thus far have been RET so I am unsure about ailerons at this time. I may build it as RET and then once I get it flying good put them on. Do you think I should do full length, 3/4, or 1/2 length on the ailerons if/when I decide to add them ?
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:36 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,913 Posts
How much dihedral are you planing on the wing ?
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:01 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,181 Posts
Way back in the threads is a Mooney Mite I bashed from the BluBaby (yeah, I know - how did that come about??) Anyway, I did the dihedral pretty much like the actual plane, and she turned ricely with RET, but I eventually added ailerons (full span even though real plane has tip ones. Full span is easier to use a single servo to control) and she will now turn with either ailerons or rudder. Rolls are pretty axial even with the lots of dihedral. I'd expect your comanche to be similar based on the full size planes I see at local airport.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:01 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,041 Posts
Yeah! Full span ailerons.
If your'e having ailerons have real ailerons.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Sep 15, 2012, 05:18 AM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
How much dihedral are you planing on the wing ?
The plans I have show 2 inches which looks about scale from pictures I have seen of the real aircraft
Old Sep 15, 2012, 08:28 PM
Joined Jun 2012
21 Posts
The build has started. As I normally do I started with the wing, that way if the chord turns out to be off from the plan I can adjust the plan to the wing. With the exception of the first plane I built (SE5A by Tony65x55) all my planes have been built with the Armin wing. Following is pictures of the wing build, I discovered as I was loading them onto the computer that I forgot to take pictures of a couple of the steps. Between pictures 3 and 4 I added another strip of foam board from the end of the previous ones to about 3/4 out towards the tip. I also forgot to take pictures of the joiners used to connect the wing panels to the center panel. Nothing fancy just a couple of pieces of wood with a 4 degree angle cut into them to give the needed dihedral. When I went to put the center section onto the panels I discovered that I had mistakenly put my channel at 1.5 inches instead of 1.75, therefore the rest of the plan will have to be adjusted.