SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:48 PM
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Aug 2011
2,128 Posts
Alert
Frank's mosquito boat hobbies

I am putting this up as a new thread, so all will see it. I am posting this, at Frank's request. He is shutting the business down. At this time, he plans to re-evaluate things, maybe some time next year. But, between the economy, and the problems getting stuff from suppliers, at this time, that is his only option. If, and when, there are any further changes, a notice will be posted. He thank's everyone, for there support over the years. CaptCB, for Frank.
CaptCB is offline Find More Posts by CaptCB
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,818 Posts
THANK YOU FRANK
for everything!!!!
I could never have done the models I did with out you....
Jcopter
Jcopter is online now Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:22 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
First, Thank you Frank for showing my boats on your web site. I hope that after November we will all have some better news. Too many small business have had to close their doors and it just stinks. Frank thanks for the boat kits and all your help through the years, Ken V
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:41 PM
Keep a Steady Strain....
Orange County, CA
Joined Nov 2007
1,218 Posts
Really a shame when you consider that it took Frank and Tim Howard probably 30 years to build up that catalog of museum-quality PT boat offerings.

There really isn't a finer, more prototypical set of PT hulls and fittings available in the world.

Hopefully something will work out and Frank can get rolling again.
capntroy is offline Find More Posts by capntroy
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Good luck and best wishes, I have admired and dreamt about one of your kits for many years.
Kcal is offline Find More Posts by Kcal
Old Sep 15, 2012, 07:23 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,655 Posts
Thanks to Frank and all the good stuff i got from him. Sad but understandable as it is tough to offer the best one can and can no longer get some of the stuff he was selling.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Sep 16, 2012, 07:50 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcal View Post
Good luck and best wishes, I have admired and dreamt about one of your kits for many years.
Maybe if you and some others had done more than "dream", and dug into your pockets and ordered, Frank's doors would still be open---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:08 AM
Joined Dec 2004
3,783 Posts
I hate to say this, but it is the truth, “money talks and bull s--t walks”.

Every one wants something when it is discontinued, even when it has been around for years. If it was still in production the out come of the company having to shut it doors would be the same.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:35 AM
"day ain't over yet-"
Western N.Y. winemaking country
Joined Jun 2005
9,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankg View Post
I hate to say this, but it is the truth, “money talks and bull s--t walks”.

Every one wants something when it is discontinued, even when it has been around for years. If it was still in production the out come of the company having to shut its doors would be the same.
Yup Frank g, I've heard that same boo-hoo-hoo story far too many times.

I'm not sure whether it's B.S. or just plain procrastination, but when it's gone, it's gone---.

But cheer up guys, you can still go out and buy that cheap Chinese crap---.
der kapitan is offline Find More Posts by der kapitan
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Wow y’all are quick to judge, but its ok I realize that at the end of the day you are all my brothers and sisters and I love you anyway.

I will leave you with this; it was the dreamers that had the foresight and gumption to create the parts to make the kits in the first place…
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:50 PM
Joined Dec 2004
3,783 Posts
Kcal- I can only speak for my self and the companies that I have worked with over the years, all of which earned our livings from the production of the model boat parts and kits that we manufacture.

This same subject has happened to a number of companies, i.e. DUMAS, MIDWEST, STERLING, and LEGEND MODEL BOATS, when a model from its line up is to be dropped because of lack of sales over the years, and then everyone says they want one, and complain about how much someone wants for the item when it shows up on EBAY.

What a lot of the modeling public really does not understand is that as a manufacturer, I have to run my business, to make a profit. With out profit there is no food on the table and money to pay the bills. I understand that modeling and modeling supplies are second to the bills and food, but recreational outlets also add to the quality of life.

What I am trying to say is that if a manufacturer has an item that is something you think you would like to try your hand at, buy it when you have the chance and don’t use the excuse that you can’t scrape up the money for it. If you really want it, you will get it.
frankg is offline Find More Posts by frankg
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:58 PM
"Damn The Torpedoes...."
Mount Dora, FL.
Joined Oct 2007
512 Posts
It's not just this hobby, it is all of the hobbies, the economy just sucks right now! With the PT boats when finished between $1,000 to $1,400 its hard to"float" that kind of cash.

Kcal keep dreaming, sometimes dreams can come true.
PT-333 is offline Find More Posts by PT-333
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, CA, Downey
Joined Jun 2005
1,818 Posts
Frank told me that he is closing not from lack of sales (That did happen, but not the cause) but from complaints/lack of weapons available from his suppliers/and or the quality of the set available. As he said it "How can you build a boat if you don't have any weapons"
I asked him if it wasn't something he could just cast, and he said that they were complicated and the failure rate would make them too expensive.
So it is not lack of business (However still a problem) but lack of quality parts that have caused him to throw in the towel.
I have known frank for many, many years and am lucky enough to call him my friend
and love my visits to see him at his shop. I tried every way I could think of to see if there was not another way to help keep him in business, but all were no gos.
simply no other way without the weapon masters and bringing the casting in-house (Huge cost output, not an option with out sales) than to close up shop
So you can see that frank does not want to sell bad quality parts, he did not want to ship out the kits with the bad supplier parts, he almost had no choice, but it was the only game in town. I have been on the receiving end of some of these cast parts but, I simply got to work on them and looked at each one as a small model in its self and in the end they came out quite nice.
So there ya go, buy what you can now, as there may not be any PT boat parts later!!!!
Jcopter
Jcopter is online now Find More Posts by Jcopter
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:50 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Aww, Frank I get to choose and personally I would support 1,000 of my brethren vs one Solyndra you are all good people. That said there are folks here on RCG who can build better them I can imagine and my imagination is vast, so the I cant get good parts is a lame excuse. I am sorry and I know you are in the industry, but if you said Kevin I need decent parts to cast, or I have to close my doors because I don’t have X, I would help (for nothing in return) you because this is a hobby I enjoy and appreciate. And in my heart I believe it teaches a ton of good life skills and how to do for yourself and to build in such as way as you will never have to do it again, I can see that right now you need something like this so let me know and I will help you to the limit of what I am able to accomplish, perfect nope will it take a long time yes but I really like to share my passion. So the short part is I would sweep your floors to learn about what you do and how you do it, and no sadly I still don’t have the time or money or room to build a large PT boat.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:52 PM
Joined Jul 2008
1,817 Posts
Frank, stop worrying about what you don’t have ask for help there is a ton of it available to you.