HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Which Radio and Which RF system are you using?
Futaba Radio/Futaba RF 70 16.32%
Futaba Radio/Other RF 21 4.90%
JR Radio/JR RF 57 13.29%
JR Radio/Other RF 29 6.76%
Spektrum Radio/Spektrum RF 49 11.42%
Spektrum Radio/Other RF 3 0.70%
Airtronics Radio/Airtronics RF 66 15.38%
Airtronics Radio/Other RF 3 0.70%
Hitec Radio/Hitec RF 50 11.66%
Hitec Radio/Other RF 1 0.23%
Multiplex Radio/Multiplex RF 11 2.56%
Multiplex Radio/Other RF 17 3.96%
Graupner Radio/Graupner RF 6 1.40%
Graupner Radio/Other RF 8 1.86%
Turnigy/TH9X Radio (all flavors) Turnigy/FlySky RF 14 3.26%
Turnigy/TH9X Radio (all flavors) Other RF 16 3.73%
Other Radio/Same brand RF 4 0.93%
Other Radio/different RF 4 0.93%
Voters: 429. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:20 PM
Hot Dawg Glider Pilot
United States, TX, Weatherford
Joined Nov 2002
7,845 Posts
What TK said...
schrederman is offline Find More Posts by schrederman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 11:56 PM
United States, MA, Waltham
Joined Dec 2001
7,133 Posts
Currently have two TD gliders using Stylus tx on 72mHz with original Airtronics rf modules. Receivers are both Hitec Fusion 9. (they were on sale for $18 each!!!, normally much more). Now have two Airtronics FHSS-1 modules and thinking of switching over, but I have a lot of 72 mHz rx's and not so many on 2.4gHz. I should explore the programming in more depth to get another flight mode setting in there. Right now I have reflex, normal, launch. Will probably go to SD10g at some point.
lincoln is offline Find More Posts by lincoln
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:01 AM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Mar 2012
2,986 Posts
I'm just now maxing out my Optic 6 Sport. The main thing lacking is flap/ail mix for full span ailerons/camber. No biggie though... at least not yet.

I'm hoping over this winter i'll be one of the lucky ones to bag a Futaba 9C Super 2.4 for a decent price...say, $250?
cityevader is offline Find More Posts by cityevader
Last edited by cityevader; Sep 19, 2012 at 02:25 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:21 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
I think you realize that the 9C Super was a 72 MHz radio and was not sold as a 2.4 radio. So you will have to add 2.4. It is pretty easy to do. Or you have to find one where they have already upgraded to 2.4.

This article may be helpful.

Low cost sailplane radios – RC Soaring Digest
Two part series – July and August 2012
Upgrading 72 MH Sailplane Radios
http://www.rcsoaringdigest.com/pdfs/...SD-2012-07.pdf
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:39 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,986 Posts
yup. I already have a "dial-a-crash" ready to go. I've many many receivers and a smorgasborg of various crystals. I'd slowly gather 2.4 rx's as well.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:08 PM
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityevader View Post
I'm just now maxing out my Optic 6 Sport. The main thing lacking is flap/ail mix for full span ailerons/camber. No biggie though... at least not yet.

I'm hoping over this winter i'll be one of the lucky ones to bag a Futaba 9C Super 2.4 for a decent price...say, $250?
I have my old 9C Super on FrSky 2.4 Telemetry available. It has no issues other than being a little old and dirty. I picked up a nearly new 9C Super a little while back, so my original has become a spare. I occasionally use it as a wireless buddy box using a FrSky CPPM receiver. (Got to love halving a buddy box that can be a mile away. LOL) Can let it go for $260 shipped. Drop me a PM if interested.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:44 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:

Many think you need a high end radio to fly full house gliders, but you don't. I had not looked at the Optic 6 sport in a long time. I am impressed with the glider mixes is contains for such a low cost radio. I see aileron diff, camber and crow mixing. Impressive.

Interested in what full house glider you are flying on the Optic 6 sport. What mixes, if any, are you using?
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 19, 2012 at 05:04 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:54 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,986 Posts
It's a Spider 60 carbon. Using snap flaps, ail/rud, crow, and reflex/normal/camber 3-way switch-mix with elevator compensation.

However, it's just independent flap and aileron operation. I.E. reflex/camber is just the flap part of T.E. without the ailerons following suit. Vice versa with ailerons only without the flaps also working as ailerons.
Is it really necessary? No. Would it be nice to have? Sure.

Additionally, a 9c would mean I could do both FM and 2.4 and not have to carry two transmitters with multiple planes.
Last edited by cityevader; Sep 19, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 04:56 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev View Post

I wouldn't touch those products for anything more than a foamie park flyer and would worry all the time about that!

YMMV ...
You're entitled to your opinion, feeling good about crashing with brand name stuff as opposed to having no problems whatsoever with "cheap" chinese stuff??? My "brand" stuff goes out the door, I prefer reliability over "name"...Moreover, the Open9X software has possibilities none of the brand stuff was able to give me all these years...But hey, to each his own...
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:24 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
Quote:
It's a Spider 60 carbon. Using snap flaps, ail/rud, crow, and reflex/normal/camber 3-way switch-mix with elevator compensation.

However, it's just independent flap and aileron operation. I.E. reflex/camber is just the flap part of T.E. without the ailerons following suit. Vice versa with ailerons only without the flaps also working as ailerons.
Is it really necessary? No. Would it be nice to have? Sure.

Additionally, a 9c would mean I could do both FM and 2.4 and not have to carry two transmitters with multiple planes.
Thanks. After your post I pulled up the manual. I was quite impressed with the mixes this radio has at such a low price. I was not aware of its capabilities.

Ailerons as part of camber and reflex is better, but necessary? No.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 01:57 PM
Belgium, Flemish Region, Oosterzele
Joined Dec 2001
5,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schrederman View Post
What TK said...
yeah :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...6&postcount=20
WimH is online now Find More Posts by WimH
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: That elusive thermal...
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,553 Posts
I looked at the post at the link you provided. What I seem to get from your post is, even if you spend money on a high end brand name radio it can still fail on you which can lead to the loss of a plane.

My philosophy is that every take-off is an act of faith and every landing a moment of relief. No matter who you buy your equipment from, they won't gurantee you will never have a problem and they won't replace your plane if the problem causes a crash.

You do your research, draw your own conclusions, then do what is comfortable for you.
Old Sep 23, 2012, 11:44 PM
IT'S NOSE HEAVY!!!!!!!
Joined Mar 2012
2,986 Posts
I figured this was as good a thread as any to ask this question without sucking bandwidth with a new thread.

For those A9 folks...is a 7ch rx adequate or 9ch required for a 4 servo wing with full TE control. I'm assuming each servo needs its own rx plug in order for full span aileron/flaps.
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:30 AM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
I use an A9 with a 7 channel receiver. 4 servos for the wing, 2 for the tail, and 1 spot for the ESC. That's the 7.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
I have used a 7 ch with the A9. 4 for the wing, 2 for the tail, and the last for the battery.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97