Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: Which Radio and Which RF system are you using?
Futaba Radio/Futaba RF 69 16.20%
Futaba Radio/Other RF 21 4.93%
JR Radio/JR RF 57 13.38%
JR Radio/Other RF 29 6.81%
Spektrum Radio/Spektrum RF 49 11.50%
Spektrum Radio/Other RF 2 0.47%
Airtronics Radio/Airtronics RF 65 15.26%
Airtronics Radio/Other RF 3 0.70%
Hitec Radio/Hitec RF 50 11.74%
Hitec Radio/Other RF 1 0.23%
Multiplex Radio/Multiplex RF 11 2.58%
Multiplex Radio/Other RF 17 3.99%
Graupner Radio/Graupner RF 6 1.41%
Graupner Radio/Other RF 8 1.88%
Turnigy/TH9X Radio (all flavors) Turnigy/FlySky RF 14 3.29%
Turnigy/TH9X Radio (all flavors) Other RF 16 3.76%
Other Radio/Same brand RF 4 0.94%
Other Radio/different RF 4 0.94%
Voters: 426. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:57 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,091 Posts
Hope you voted Other Radio/same RF so we capture that.
aeajr is online now Find More Posts by aeajr
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:07 PM
Thermal Junkie
Joined Sep 2008
3,369 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoarWest View Post
......but you can't really get a full house glider in a T7C. Same goes for Hitec and their lower end radios, if anyone is using a Hitec it must be an Aurora.
You most certainly can fly a full house job on an Optic,I've been doing so for a number of years. Granted you don't have all the cutie programme features, but the basic stuff is there and it works pretty good unless you're a mix/flight condition,switch flipper dependant type.
That said, I just stepped up to an A9 and it does have a lot more going for it. It was time for a new radio anyways. I decided to give it a go and it is a very nice transmitter. I'm still not 100% hooked on the extensive use of the computerised mix bit yet. Being an old timer used to employing brain/thumb mixing I still like flying the plane.

Anyhow, I'm Hitec/Hitec having just gave away my last Futaba/Futaba that ran the last of my powered glow planes that also went to another place.
Leadchucker is offline Find More Posts by Leadchucker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 15, 2012, 01:17 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
Hope you voted Other Radio/same RF so we capture that.
I voted "Other Radio/different RF" ... one and only vote
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Old Sep 15, 2012, 02:03 PM
Suspended Account
Russian Federation, Sakha, Yakutsk
Joined May 2006
2,978 Posts
Hitec A9 here. Unreal range.
FrogChief is offline Find More Posts by FrogChief
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined May 2010
1,605 Posts
This is my excellent Albatros 3E and new 16-channel Jeti Duplex DS-16 transmitter with built in Variometer and full telemetry. CNC Aluminum case, unlimited mixing and function assignability. Unlimited number of models. Voice alarms, music, 8GB SD card.

Zb/Esprit Model

Jeti Telemetry Variometer w/DC-16 Radio (4 min 10 sec)
Esprit Model is offline Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:25 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,091 Posts
At 169 ballots Here is how it is running:

Futaba - all RF, about 22%
JR - all RF types, about 20%
Airtronics - all RF types, about 18%
Hitec - all RF types, about 18%
Spektrum - all RF types, about 9%
Multiplex, all types, about 6%
9X, all types, about 5%
Graupner, all types, 2%
Then all others

Ratios of the top 5 have not changed much.
Old Sep 15, 2012, 10:33 PM
Trex 700, Gaui X5, 450DFC
United States, AZ, Queen Creek
Joined Apr 2010
326 Posts
What I find most interesting is just how balanced this is! Really a very equal split among the top 4, I really didn't expect that.
SoarWest is offline Find More Posts by SoarWest
Old Sep 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,616 Posts
I've always used Futaba Radios and receivers in my planes and have never had a single problem. I've got one off brand receiver that Seanpcola turned me onto and it works just fine with my Tx. Currently I've only got one "Full House" plane and it's a scratch built that I wanted to see just how far I could push a 2 meter to. It's really not all that great on thermals due to weight but it handles slopes like it was designed for Torrey Pines in late winter/early spring. For a 2 meter it's a lead sled but it was a learning experience in building and design to say the least. (edit: Maybe it will thermal netter out here in Arizona than it did in Georgia. I was never really impressed with Georgia thermals thanks to the constant inversion layer in that area.)
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:10 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Forbes View Post
Airtronics SD10G all the way.
Dave
Me too.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:18 AM
Mark LSF # 3792
United States, TX, Garland
Joined Nov 2008
548 Posts
SD-10G with 3 10 channel and 1 6 channel FHSS3 receivers.
Soarmark is offline Find More Posts by Soarmark
Old Sep 16, 2012, 09:45 AM
St. Louis, MO
Joined Oct 2002
2,708 Posts
In our club we are about 50/50 JR and Airtronics. There are two that fly Futaba. I am a long time Airtronics flier and dealer but am exploring the new Graupner radios. They seem to be a great value and have some great telemetry features built in and others by add on sensors. Want a vario? buy a $35.00 sensor and plug an ear phone into your TX and you are ready to go.

Mark Miller
www.isthmusmodels.com
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Sep 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,607 Posts
I'll chime in..

I think some of the results will be a bit skewed in this pole as Aeaejr is cross posting in specific make threads. I found this thread when he posted in a FrSky topic.

You will not see the most popular radio system show up much in this thread due to the full house requirement. Spektrum out numbers all other makes by a large degree, but only recently added the ability to feed a full house glider.

Also, I think it will be harder for Aeaejr to find the big 4 users as they are less likely to frequent brand threads.

But back on topic, I'm on Futaba with a FrSky module. I love them. No issues. You get very good range and the best thing ever, RSSI for safety. RSSI warns me if their is a reception issue before loosing any commands. I also like that FrSky has 3 different fail safe options I can pick from.

When FrSky comes out with their new transmitters I will be jumping into them. 16 channels, model match, audio alarms, full telemetry, powerful ARM processor with plenty of storage, open source software, USB, SD slot, etc. All for a very reasonable price. I think it will be the new powerhouse but at a fraction of the cost of the big guys.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 16, 2012, 06:12 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,091 Posts
Wayne, thanks for joining the thread. Please invite your friends who fly full house sailplanes to visit as well.

You mention the "the big 4 users?" What does that mean?

It is true, I posted in large Futaba, Airtronics, JR, Spektrum, Hitec, X9, FrSky threads. I think I also posted in about 6 large sailplane threads. I did not find any large Graupner or Multiplex threads to post to. I also posted it to RC Soaring Exchange in google groups. The goal, of course, is to get the maximium number of glider piltos to be aware of the thread and hopefully to post. In this way I can draw the broadest coverage of sailplane pilots and see what they are flying..

What radio is it that you think has been left out? Clearly anyone can vote the OTHER selection if their radio brand is not listed by name. So I think I have the radio selection pretty well covered.

You may not be aware that a LOT of Spektrum users are flying full house sailplanes. Right now they represent about 10% of the votes. So I am not sure of the point of your comment about Spektrum. Just read the Radian Pro threads and you will find DX6i, DX7 and DX8 pilots flying full house sailplanes.

I think we are getting a very good cross section. % leaders and overall share of the votes are staying pretty consistant after nearly 200 votes.

Futaba and JR seem to be the leaders and have been since the start.
Last edited by aeajr; Sep 16, 2012 at 06:59 PM. Reason: fixed some typos
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:53 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,607 Posts
I just meant the 4 main suppliers of radios.. Just distracted here..

I think the largest % of radio users are Spektrum, but I don't think a poll like this will actually show that..?
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:35 AM
Be the duck. Whaaaa?
United States, CA, Guerneville
Joined Mar 2012
312 Posts
At my glider club airtronics is the leader by far, followed by jr then futaba then spektrum. Quite a few of the jr radios have spektrum modules in them. Only a couple guys have spektrum radios.
UberZogster is online now Find More Posts by UberZogster