HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 15, 2012, 06:42 AM
United States, WI, West Bend
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
I built the T50 in an effort to improve my mastery of planking the hull before I did my 108in J boat. Both are now completed.
A question for those of you with the T50: do you find the T50 to be quite "tender" in a wind" Even with the smaller jibs, I find that I cannot sail it well in anything more than a light (5-ish MPH) wind.
PATMURFF is offline Find More Posts by PATMURFF
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
my mate built one we changed the bulb to lead and changed the rig the bulb weight was 3kg now not 2kg it handled 28knots with b rig
darynxbcoupe is offline Find More Posts by darynxbcoupe
Old Oct 15, 2012, 07:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
i meant 18 knots
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Thanks for the response. Did you make your own 3kg bulb or find a place to buy one?

Also, the T50 didn't sit too low in the water with the heavier bulb? Mine is pretty well on the lines as it is - however it's the heavier bulb or sailing in very light winds, I guess
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
Joined Sep 2010
137 Posts
just make a cast off the existing bulb then poor with lead sits a tiny bit lower but seemed to sail much better go to go now good luck
Old Oct 15, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Thanks for the info. Winter here in Wisconsin, USA so this is the time for lead pouring.
Old Oct 18, 2012, 12:48 AM
Joined Jan 2012
93 Posts
Looking for some advise please .......... I recently completed a T37 with the optional high torque Hitec HS-645MG servo. I find that I only get about 75 degree rotation instead of the advertised 90 degrees and this isn't enough to get the sails all the way our. Is there an adjustment I need to make? Thanks !!
Hot Tuna is offline Find More Posts by Hot Tuna
Old Oct 18, 2012, 01:10 AM
Joined Nov 2011
9 Posts
Hot Tuna:
Some may know of other ways to fix this but I have had that problem and I fixed it (maybe a high-price way) by purchasing a Spectrum DX6i transmitter. One of the features (simple to use) is one menu item allows for TRAVEL ADJUSTMENT for each servo. Incidentally, another menu item allows an easy fine "center" adjustment like for the rudder.

I just love this transmitter. I do use it to increase servo travel to the greatest extent I can.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 01:30 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
Like I said in my eairlier post when I put the hull into the pool to check for leaks I found some damp spots so Iputt a thin coat of the prethicken epoxy in the area and now waiting for that to cure before checking for leaks again. I will have to wait until Monday to do that as it is the weekend and the pool will have a lot of kids in it.
Any updates on the build? I'm looking forward to seeing it sailing.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:03 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
I got the rudder,keel and mast sleeves epoxyed in then the wife took over the kitchen island to do some more sewing so building has stopped for a short while. Took the T37 sailing today and post a couple of pictures tomorrow. With a breeze of maybe 2 or 3 mph she held her own against the US1s. In the wind lulls she fell behind. I blame it on the US1s have a much taller mast which catches the wind better. Of course the skipper made some mistakes as well.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Oct 26, 2012, 06:51 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Sunce the wife took over my work space to do so sewing all building on the T50 has stoped until she is finished sewing. So I took my T37x out for a morning at the pond. Winds were anywhere from 0 to 4 mph so sailing was iffy at times. When I had some wind the boat kept up with the US1s that were sailing with no problem. When the wind died down the US1 sailed by me, I believe that since the US1 has a taller sail rig that they do a little better in very light wind.
I talked to Will this morning and asked him his view of making a second sail rig based on US1 rig and he said that it sounded like a good idea as the boat could handle the taller rig. Less sail area as a US1 sail area is 600 sq. inches while a T37 sail area is 635.5 sq. inches. Less sail area but it seemed do better in very light wind. Here are some pictures from the pond.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:54 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,090 Posts
T37 - US1M kit update:

It had been over 5 weeks since I ordered my racing T39.7 or is it a T-US1M (a T37 made to US1M specs - 14.25" speed keel, CF mast & booms, 600 inch^2 sails) and my porch was still empty, so I called Will today just to check on the order status.

Will said that he had some other big custom projects that were in progress when I ordered mine, but now my kit "was rising to the top of the pile". This was a one-off order and not something that was in stock, so I expected to wait, but I hadn't heard anything and was worried the order had somehow gotten lost. It didn't, so now I just need to get going on some other projects to keep me busy while I wait.

FC
FoamCrusher is online now Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Oct 30, 2012, 05:12 AM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Wifes sewing has been sitting on the kitchen island and she hasn't done anything lately so I just pushed it all the the end so that I could do a little work on thr T50. I managed to epoxy the rudder pushrod sleeve and make up the main boom and the rigid gooseneck. While everything was setting up I took the T37 to the pond to get a little stick time. There were 4 other boats on the water 2 Seawinds, Soling 1M and an ODOM. Winds were varable with guest up to 5mph and the 37 overtook and sailed past them most of the time. I'm not saying that I am that good of a skipper but the 37 is a sweet boat that seems to like winds in the 5mph range. Of coiurse the 37 ws the lightest boat there at a little over 5lbs while the rest weight in at over 7lbs each, so it just flew in the light win. I can't wait to see how the 50 sails.
Foam I know what you mean about waiting for your kit. When I ordered the T50 I was told that it would be shipped within a week. Four weeks later I called Will and he said that at that time they had gotten a lot of orders and he was back logged on shipping by a week and he promised to ship my boat the next day. Well the next day here comes the mailman with my boat so that shows how busy that they have been that he couldn't even keep up with what was shipped to who with out going thru all the paper work. 18 months ago if you called he could tell you when the boat was shipped and an appox. time that you should get it. I'm glad to see that he is that busy. The hull number of my 37 is 975 and he has now shipped over 1600 T37s out so he has been a busy person.
Old Nov 04, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hircsailor View Post
The hull number of my 37 is 975 and he has now shipped over 1600 T37s out so he has been a busy person.
I hope more people decide to try and build out of wood rather than assembling just another mass produced plastic boat. I built my first ever RC plane, a Gentle Lady which I still have, and there's nothing like that satisfaction with any ARF. With my T37 not only does it sail better than heavier plastic boats but since it looks so nice I can display it in the living room and not feel like I'm displaying a toy. Plus the build is so much fun in itself.

Hope to see more of your progress on the T52.
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
Old Nov 11, 2012, 04:25 PM
United States, WA, Port Townsend
Joined Feb 2006
76 Posts
Build Logs

Three build log links from other sites.

One from RC Universe:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_7045785/tm.htm

Here are two build logs on Model Ship World:
http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/vie...fd9988bf1c9b3c

http://modelshipworld.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14001