HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
Thanks for the link. Have you used these before and if so do you think they would harm a servo in any way?
Fokker Ace is offline Find More Posts by Fokker Ace
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:02 PM
Kimo
United States, HI, Honolulu
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Since I have several servos that only turn 90 deg. I use one on my US12 and it hasn't caused any problems yet. It works great and if you have several servos around that you arn't using it beats the cost of buying a new 180 deg servo.
Hircsailor is offline Find More Posts by Hircsailor
Old Sep 20, 2012, 07:16 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,089 Posts
I have not used them so Hircsailor is a better source of information....or ask tech support at ServoCity.com

"ServoCity wants to help! If you have questions about our products, item specifications, or for other technical inquires, please e-mail tech@servocity.com and a knowledgeable Customer Support Team member will respond shortly."

They have always been very prompt to answer my emails and on the telephone, but it helps if you fully explain what you want to do and why. The more information you provide (load, voltage, use....) the better the quality of the answer.

FC
FoamCrusher is offline Find More Posts by FoamCrusher
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:34 PM
Pomona, CA
Joined Apr 2007
663 Posts
I have used a Servo City "stretcher" in my V32. It does as advertised, the only drawback I experienced was that it affected the servo's resolution, which caused it to not rotate smoothly.....it had a decidedly "notchy" movement. The only thing you need to watch out for is to make sure you don't try to "overdrive" the servo past it's built in mechanical stops (they warn you about this in the instructions for the "stretcher").

In the end, I went with a Hitec digital servo in this boat to get the rotation I needed and power and resolution.

Kevin
poltergeist is offline Find More Posts by poltergeist
Old Sep 22, 2012, 12:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
TinyDancer, how does that boat handle in some wind? Any photos of it in a breeze? Better yet a video!

FC, did your kit arrive yet?
Old Sep 22, 2012, 04:06 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fokker Ace View Post
FC, did your kit arrive yet?
No. It is a special order (1 meter hull, racing package and no radio) so he can't just pull it off the shelf. I am retired but do consulting work and have a week's work beginning next Wednesday. What do you bet it will arrive PM Wednesday

FC
Old Sep 23, 2012, 07:58 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
The weather was perfect today, high 50's with a few puffy clouds and crystal clear water, so I had to get a few shots from an evening sail; the sun was sparkling off the varnish. Good wind up to about 15 mph a little bit out in the lake but quiet by the dock for close-ups..

Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:08 AM
Australia, TAS, Penguin
Joined Mar 2012
465 Posts
@FokkerAce:
Lovely photos, thank you for sharing. That water is crystal clear...
mrpenguin is offline Find More Posts by mrpenguin
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:52 PM
If it floats....sail it!
Elk Grove, CA
Joined Sep 2002
4,089 Posts
Great shots.

How do you take pictures and sail at the same time? I can never get the framing right with these new compact cameras that just have an LCD screen and no viewfinder.

Perfect weather in the high 50's????? We had 88F, but canceled half our races because the wind quit. Wouldn't you know it...today is the same temp but with 5 - 10 mph wind.

FC
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:56 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Great pictures makes me wish that I had a place like that to sail in. I took the T7 off the wall yesterday to check her out and like a few others found out that the brass wire rudder pushrod is bending even more than before, So I have to go to the LHS for either a small CF tube or 11/6 inch music wireto replace it. That way I can go sailing on Thur. while the wife is out of town for a few days. I looking to do a lot on the T50 while she is gone.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 02:36 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
As I said before my T37 came with the 1/16 inch brass rod rudder push rod that would bend at times. After looking at my LHS I got a 3/32 inch brass tube which I epoxyed the brass rod into and it seems to be working so far.
Old Sep 28, 2012, 04:19 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
My kit came with a steel rod for the rudder. This must be a change that has been made. I know the sheet leads on my boat are brass rod you bend into a U shape instead of the screw eyes on the older boats. Plus the shape of the rudder has changed.

Glad you found a good fix. I'm surprised the brass rod would bend that easily but under load it might have been just enough to do it.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 07:17 AM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,124 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoamCrusher View Post
Great shots.

How do you take pictures and sail at the same time? I can never get the framing right with these new compact cameras that just have an LCD screen and no viewfinder.

FC
I take pics and even shoot video when sailing. I can hold mty camera with my right hand, and still have the index finger free to push the button to take a picture. With the left hand I control rudder and sails alternatingly. If I can sit on something, and the TX can lay firmly on my lap, I can even operate both sails and rudder simutaneously while filming, with thumb on the rudder, and pinky on the sail stick. When having only the TX to hold and operate, I do sail better, but still, with this "juggling" with transmitter and camera, I sometimes manage to get some nice footage. Check this posting for some of the results: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=593
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 12:42 PM
Kimo
Joined Jun 2011
497 Posts
Its been a busy weekend sanding. Anyone who has built a planked hull knows how much sanding is needed to smooth the hull. I have sanded the keel and rudder to final shape and when I finish fine sanding the hull a thin coat of West epoxy will be put on to seal the raw wood.
On the T37 I repaired the rudder pushrod by epoxying the 1/16 inch brass rod into a 3/32 inch brass tube, The pushrod doesn't bend now so I will be ready to sail on Thur, Hust to be safe I removed the rudder again and greased the rudder rod. Thats something that I do after every day on the water as I sail in a tidal saltwater pond.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 08:11 PM
Joined Aug 2006
1,551 Posts
Nice early fall weather sailing the past few evenings, perfect for chasing the ducks around with my T37.

Hircsailor, can you get some photos of your build progress and T37 repairs? How deep is the keel on that T50?