Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 17, 2012, 02:06 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,190 Posts
A flybarless will cut through wind like a hot knife through butter. It's a whole different league from my experience.

I find it's easier when I lose orientation when it's far away from me. I pull on the stick and let it go and it feels like a homing missile. Flies right back to me. Easier than my flybar FP where I have to compensate for the wind and keep holding the stick in one direction.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:39 AM
Joined Jan 2012
204 Posts
Had to dig this thread off page 3... that is unacceptable!
Killer Bee is offline Find More Posts by Killer Bee
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:13 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,190 Posts
Well, there's not much new info.

We do know there are slight changes between the WLToys version and the HiSky and Turnigy.

I suppose we can look at the FBL100 threads for a list of issues their owners have encountered.

On HeliFreak, I see mention that the square boom splits more than it's mCPX counterpart who uses a round boom.

Also, I see one user who said the FBL100 servo chatters a lot. But he later fixed the issue by spraying servo an all connection points with Deoxit.

I also see praise of the head being beefier than the mCPX?

What are you guys seeing? Perhaps it'll give a list for the early adopters to look over carefully to compare/contrast the WLToys versus FBL100.
Old Sep 19, 2012, 03:31 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,327 Posts
Not much new info is right, because we are all guessing.

I don't really like the canopy though. I won't describe it as "beefier". There's nothing wrong on the top part. But the bottom half is another story. Those lines are killing me. Couldn't they make a smoother looking canopy? Just my 2.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
I think the square boom is the weakest part of most of these helis, the v911 and v929 both suffer from the exact same issue, wag induced by flex and twist after the boom has a split, it "can" be pretty minor but pronounced when you do it by hand, I think next time I will try and replace them with circular carbon tube.
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Sep 19, 2012, 10:43 PM
Bvc
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2012
330 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Not much new info is right, because we are all guessing.

I don't really like the canopy though. I won't describe it as "beefier". There's nothing wrong on the top part. But the bottom half is another story. Those lines are killing me. Couldn't they make a smoother looking canopy? Just my 2.
I second that, and I can't stand windshields that don't look like windshields. Just my 2.
Bvc is offline Find More Posts by Bvc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:25 AM
KDS450QS(ZYX4),V977,CX-20
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Apr 2012
4,728 Posts
I believe the bottom part of the canopy can be easily trimmed away with a scissors... right?
FyreSG is online now Find More Posts by FyreSG
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:00 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,190 Posts
Hey guys, here's an interesting observation.

Remember the post that ultimateMicro made based on the leaked photo?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=65

It shows that the gear on the WLToys mCP was really big. And the swashplate pin and guide has been relocated to the front. And also the landing gear was different than the HiSky and Turnigy FBL100 counterpart.

At first, I thought WLToys was making changes/improvements like they usually do when cloning a heli's design.

But look at the following photo, I now believe differently:

Thanks to that Chinese forum thread, we already got wind of the smaller sized version. But looking at the FBL80 photo above, it looks like a near match to the leaked WLToys version.

So it looks more solid that WLToys will release a smaller than mCPX sized CP. And the leaked photo of the WLToys heli is likely the smaller version.

Hopefully it's near release. I am hoping the Chinese understand the importance of getting this out in preparation for the holiday season. Dave from Horizon Hobby just confirmed that the new Blade Nano CP X is shipping today. How many of those are going to be under someone's Christmas tree this season?

Would love to see the two heli go head to head. I expect the Blade version to possibly win in performance. But the WLToys version to win due to lower cost of parts.

Last edited by Daryoon; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:05 AM.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:05 AM
Poland, Śląskie, Bielsko-Biala
Joined Jan 2012
634 Posts
So it's nCPx clone ?

That's good news
shafter is offline Find More Posts by shafter
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:12 AM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,190 Posts
I don't think so. Because the nCPx uses parts that looks like it's from the mSRX/mSR/mCPX. i.e. Landing gear, main gear, boom, tail motor, etc.

This FBL80 is a departure from all that. Big main gear like how Walkera like to engineer. And the shape of the landing gear is different from the mCPX, mSR.

So it might be about the size of the nCPx. (Which someone demonstrated it flipping underneath a table. LOL)

So better for indoors. And because of the flybarless, it should be good outdoors against the wind like the mSR X. Actually should be even better because it has variable pitch.

I expect the electronics will be alright on the first revs...and improve over time. Even Horizon Hobby has teething pains with their flybarless electronics.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 12:53 PM
flying beam
through the Looking Glass
Joined Apr 2008
1,657 Posts
If your right Daryoon, and if they don't use a flysky protocol, but the same as the Hisky 100FBL, one could always use the RF module that Hisky sells separately for their brand.

I just found these pics of the FLB80 where you can clearly see the module.

And this from the Hisky FBL100 thread :

The RF module can possible bind up all the brands that support power (current) to it. The RF module has no battery built in. For some brands TX, you need special connectors, crossover cable etc
The RF module can of course also bind up with all separate RX from HiSky.

Version 2 RF module, coming soon, will have power (battery) built in.

Either way, flysky proto or not, and if the price for RF module is affordable, I'll fly this with my ER9x
blackmoon is online now Find More Posts by blackmoon
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:33 PM
Flying mostly micro's
United States, WV, Vienna
Joined Mar 2007
606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Hey guys, here's an interesting observation.

Remember the post that ultimateMicro made based on the leaked photo?

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=65

It shows that the gear on the WLToys mCP was really big. And the swashplate pin and guide has been relocated to the front. And also the landing gear was different than the HiSky and Turnigy FBL100 counterpart.

At first, I thought WLToys was making changes/improvements like they usually do when cloning a heli's design.

But look at the following photo, I now believe differently:

Thanks to that Chinese forum thread, we already got wind of the smaller sized version. But looking at the FBL80 photo above, it looks like a near match to the leaked WLToys version.

So it looks more solid that WLToys will release a smaller than mCPX sized CP. And the leaked photo of the WLToys heli is likely the smaller version.

Hopefully it's near release. I am hoping the Chinese understand the importance of getting this out in preparation for the holiday season. Dave from Horizon Hobby just confirmed that the new Blade Nano CP X is shipping today. How many of those are going to be under someone's Christmas tree this season?

Would love to see the two heli go head to head. I expect the Blade version to possibly win in performance. But the WLToys version to win due to lower cost of parts.

It will definitely be interesting to watch how this all pans out. I like & enjoy my Blade helis and the quality is good. They are relatively expensive though. My msrx requires parts frequently. Unless I do cnc upgrades the replacement parts are fairly expensive as well. Not to mention the cost of the expensive cnc upgrades to avoid buying so many spares! If WL does the same kind of job they did on the v911, v929 on this tiny CP with excellent durabilty, great flying. low cost and plenty of low cost parts it will be a game changer in this market. If it's also 9x compatible - Bonus!
BlueHavoc is offline Find More Posts by BlueHavoc
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Redcar
Joined Jan 2006
3,268 Posts
Still don't like that canopy lol
scousethief is offline Find More Posts by scousethief
Old Sep 20, 2012, 04:47 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,190 Posts
And what canopy do you like?

We can always put another canopy on. Just need the rest of it to be worth while first.
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:58 PM
a.k.a. BiggTony
United States, FL, Fort Walton Beach
Joined Jul 2010
297 Posts
Yeah, canopy looks like the developer decided something was better than nothing. To me, it looks like they could come up with no other way to reduce canopy weight other than literally scooping away the nose. As it sits, the scale of the canopy looks wrong. Anyway, Daryoon is right...first things first. Let it fly and fly well!
dedmonwakin is offline Find More Posts by dedmonwakin