HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by EeleyEagle, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:50 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Discussion
Ellie(Eddie) the Eagle

I first saw it in a 1993 magazine and decided right there and then that I just had to build one. I ordered the plans through MyHobbyStore in the UK and waited patiently. I read through 2 RC Groups forums on the Eddie the Eagle build to familarise myself with the build whilst the plans were in transit.
I decided to make it out of Polystyrene as I had access to lots of it. I wasn't sure how the weight would be in comparrison to the Blue/Pink foam that others used. I also had some pop-up air brakes laying around that I thought I may just use incase I find myself flying in a limited LZ.
Here are the first stage photos of the build.
Note: This model is finished and had had a maiden flight but I thought I would post the construction photos anyway.It was a 6 month long build.
EeleyEagle is online now Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
Last edited by EeleyEagle; Sep 14, 2012 at 03:58 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:00 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Head

Time to take the carving/scupture challenge. I have never called myself an artistic person so this is a huge challenge but one that needs to be tackled. Printed out other peoples photos for guidelines as well as photos of a real eagles head. Didn't come out too bad I must say. I used teddy bears eyes from the local Spotlight store.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:43 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Wings

Time for the wings.My foam cutting skills are limited to say the least. I just do it in a very basic form.A hot wire dragged over a wooden template and judge the speed and angle. Had to glue some foam together to make up the thickness. Also had to work out how to install the airbrakes.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:05 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Body

Time to fill in the body and get some shape. Just glued on the foam then started shaping.I bound the wing joiner to the bulkhead with copper wire then put epoxy glue over it. Also set up the elevator push rod.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:15 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Ailerons

Next is the Ailerons. I used a flexable pushrod for this as per plan BUT if I had to do it all again then I would put the servos straight into the wing directly in front of the aileron as per what is std practise these days in moulded gliders etc. Also started playing with the Alua feathers.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:28 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Legs

She has got to have legs. Get a load of these beauties.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:41 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Skin

Time to give her a skin. I chose to put on a layer of very fine glass cloth ( about silk consistancy) on her. Instead of using epoxy resin I chose to use water based poly urathane (Cabbots Crystal Clear) because of easy clean up and I had it already. In heindsight I think epoxy resin would have made the foam a little stiffer.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:56 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Wing tips

Time to bend up the wing tips. Firstly I tried 2 layers of 1.2mm ply but that was a failure, too stiff. I did a trial of steam bending 1 piece of 1.2mm ply around a mould and when dried I glued it to a piece of 1mm balsa around a mould and it seemed to work well so continued with all the rest of the feathers. This was done over a period of 1 week.. They were glued onto the wing with PU glue and then sanded to shape. Finally a couple of layers of glass cloth and epoxy resin were used to hold them in place.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:05 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Paint time

Time to get a coat of paint on this bird. Have decided on a clolour as a base coat and applied it by foam roller. It is just an acrylic house paint in a sample pot.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:32 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Airbrush time

Well the time between the base coat and airbrush was a loooooong time because I have no idea what I am doing. I ordered a cheap airbrush from HK and read through the Eddie forums again to see if I can get some tips. After reading that it can take up to 10 hours per surface on a wing panel and that again on the body to paint with a brush I decided that I have to get a grasp on airbrush real quick. So I had a go. Made up some templates out of an old plastic container and went for it. I freely admit that I am not an artist by any means but if the finished product looks good in the air then I have achieved my goal.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:44 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Completed and posing

Time to show her off. My boys just love being part of it all.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:57 PM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Maiden Flight

We finally had the chance to give Ellie some air beneath her wings. All checks done and all good to go.
She flew right out of my friends hands and C of G was correct., HOWEVER we did not have enough throws on the Ailerons so put here down in the bushes quickly.
I have since replaced the Micro servos that I used as aileron control and fitted mini servos that had more torque and longer arms to give me more throws.
She is all set to fly again. I am taking her to the Manilla Slope Fest next week for some much needed airtime. Another guy has also built one so we should be able to enjoy some flying together.
Here is the link to the VIMEO video upload of the maiden.
Andrew
Ellie the Eagle (2 min 29 sec)
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:47 AM
australia
Joined Apr 2007
2,123 Posts
well done cameron it looks great and well done Dad
therealthing691 is online now Find More Posts by therealthing691
Old Sep 15, 2012, 03:54 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Taiwan
Joined Aug 2011
1,941 Posts
That is seriously sweet after six monthes building,well done
congratulations for the nice work
thanks for sharing
regards
Sam
samwei1950 is offline Find More Posts by samwei1950
Old Sep 15, 2012, 12:59 PM
Pterasaur builder
LaPorte IN
Joined Oct 2008
124 Posts
Great job, Looks nice in the air. I noticed is you fleshed out the legs on yours, I opted not to on my eddie they end up more like inverted tail vins that way. Hope you get the throw on the ailerons figured out , I enjoy flying my eagle every chance I can.If you can post a video of it flying with the other eagle.Would be nice to see 2 of them flying together.once again Great job
Weinig is offline Find More Posts by Weinig