HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Hackney
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
Discussion
ailerons - stuck on or cut out?

i've been given a large pile of crash damaged HZ supercub bits. i'm thinking i'll bujild some kind of frankencub out of them, maybe a twin boom thing.

anyway yeah the wings need ailerons - should i cut them out? or would it be ok to tape balsa ailerons on the trailing edges? What effect would taping balsa ailerons have on the wing?

It would be quicker, easier, and add some wing area I guess. Would it have much effect on the lift it produces?
stallion explosi is offline Find More Posts by stallion explosi
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:52 AM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,359 Posts
I'd probably add the ailerons to the trailing edge of the wing because I like plenty of wing area and. as you say, it's way easier.
The wing will work fine either way.
I'd also be arranging to have aileron differential ( a bit more 'up' than 'down')
This can be done mechanically or with the Tx (2 servos required)
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:22 AM
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
bosh thanks! will do! that is just the answer I was hoping for.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 03:45 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stallion explosi View Post
...some kind of frankencub...
Please post pics when it's done!
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:00 PM
Trapped in California
United States, CA, Arcadia
Joined Nov 2003
1,857 Posts
If you're going to add the ailerons with the effect of increasing the wing area and chord, make sure you adjust the balance point of the plane accordingly. Adding to the trailing edge of the wing should make your ideal CofG move back a little, or, maybe it's not enough to make any real difference. In theory though, yes.
foamflyer is offline Find More Posts by foamflyer
Old Sep 16, 2012, 01:24 PM
Joined Aug 2011
217 Posts
hey if i make this twin boom frankencub, will i be ok with the fuses the normal length even though it will have a much wider wingspan?

or should i extend the fuses out at the back? maybe with a CF tube or something?
Old Sep 16, 2012, 02:27 PM
Not always grumpy!!
UK, Eastleigh, Eastleigh
Joined Jul 2010
578 Posts
i would cut out the ailerons, my HZ Cub was pretty badly damaged, and i replaced the ailerons with balsa trailing edge, sanded to match the profile of the wing, (i used strips of packing plastic from the cases of new servos) and CA glued them in place, be sure to cut out areas in the strips so the glue will glue the foam back together trapping the strips in place, (2 squares 1 at either end of the strip).
insomaniac45 is offline Find More Posts by insomaniac45
RCG Plus Member