HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:20 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,315 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xascent View Post
How is it better with the Solo Pro 180 blades ? Didn't know that one.
I have the Oomodel replacement gears but wouldn't you guess it haven't needed them since they arrived ! It's always what you don't have you need, sods law!
I have reached the stage of knowing the thing inside out and repairs take no time really now, apart from being half a world away from supplies of parts and the long frustrating wait that means.
I am on the look out for a 100 cp size not sure what to get as their seems to be a lot of development with new models atm. Waiting to see if Tarot do bring one out as you have hinted at on the forum.
The only reason why I am using Solo Pro 180D blades are because they are white. However, the head is more susceptible to damage. This is offset by the reduction in crashes due to better visibility.

This is the internet shop of the street vendor I use. ac-rc.com The parts are usually in stock. They also sell Tarot stuff as well.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:24 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
There is a huge range of quality in the 450 size, from total crap to stuff that looks like it came from a jeweler. I would say the Rave is the best 450 I've personally flown - it's a step up from the Trex. I would say the Blade 450 is the lowest quality 'current' helicopter I would recommend to a beginner, and I think Trex is right in the middle.

Listen to the sound of these machines - listen to the Rave, how smooth it is compared to the HK-450 I posted earlier. The sound of a helicopter indicates how well the parts are working together - louder sound = lower quality. Used to be - that's how we tuned car engines - by sound. Now we have computers that tell you how well the car is running, but the skill of determining a machine's general health by sound is still important - develop that skill, it will help you. You should be able to hear the helicopter making a few distinct different sounds, and those sounds will tell you how healthy each system is. You can hear the blades, the main drive, the tail drive, and the tail blades - just like picking out one instrument in an orchestra, you can pick out one of those sounds and concentrate on it, and learn if your machine is working right.

I still can't believe people let me fly their helicopters, but here it is... this machine is very high quality. When we switched it over to flybarless, it flew almost the same. When the computer can't correct anything, it was pretty darn good to begin with.
I fly (try to) a HK 450 and a 250 as well as the V120s, and I'm no mechanical engineer but even I can tell by the general build quality that they are pretty average really, but good for the price and useful as a training tool. I look forward to the time when I feel confident enough that I can spool up a quality heli knowing that their's a good chance it will return like it left.

Thanks for all your advice
Xascent is offline Find More Posts by Xascent