Old Sep 19, 2012, 11:55 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlovespbj View Post
Could you elaborate on what woul open up to me with a spectrum tx
The DX6i and up are "universal" transmitters, and can be used with any aircraft with a removable receiver. The programming options on the DX6i will support most aircraft you can think of, within the 6 channel limit.

However, I was mostly speaking of the Bind-n-Fly stuff... it's a ridiculously large list of stuff that is actually good quality in most cases. The entire line of Blade helicopters and the mQX quad copter all require a Spektrum radio, except the Blade 450 where you can swap the receiver and use any universal radio. Note, that is not true of the 450-X which has the BeastX/Spektrum combo which combines the 3-axis gyro and receiver in one unit.

So... all these helicopters...
http://www.bladehelis.com/

And all these little planes and stuff too...
http://www.horizonhobby.com/browse/p...arfly-10000962
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Aug 2012
23 Posts
Lhs??
Benlovespbj is offline Find More Posts by Benlovespbj
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:20 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benlovespbj View Post
Lhs??
Local hobby shop
Old Sep 22, 2012, 07:43 PM
Übernewbie eager to learn
Sweden, Skåne County, Malmö
Joined Jun 2012
14 Posts
What about this then for a universal TX?
http://http://www.deviationtx.com/
A miniCP plus a Devo 8S and you're set, right? (Yes, I'm also shopping for my first CP, leaning toward a miniCP)
Masen72 is offline Find More Posts by Masen72
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:06 AM
Joined Aug 2006
59 Posts
depending on availability on your location, the FBL100 from hisky or turnigy is a good newbie cp platform. IME it has a high level of crash survivability (flying mostly on a grass field) for learning mild 3D, more so if you just want to learn how a cp heli behaves. it also handles like a much larger heli for its size. i know since i also have a genius cp. it is 5grams lighter and is also way more twitchy compared to the FBL100. in my case, parts for the FBL100 is also cheaper compared to the genius cp. in fact, i have been flying (and crashing!) the FBL100 twice as much since i burned the genius motor (two months of relentless 3D practice) and so far never needed to buy any parts after crashing countless times! try that with a 450size heli??
hawk01 is offline Find More Posts by hawk01
Old Oct 29, 2012, 05:25 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
I was in your position about a year ago and what was important to me then was durability, which was what I was used to having learnt on a Xieda 9958 which would take a battering no problem.
So wanting to get into CP helis I was on the lookout for something rugged, this was about the time the Walkera V120D02s came out advertised as 'Ultra Durable' so I went for it. Nice heli flies great nice and easy step up to but 'durable' it isn't ! I have spent a small fortune on spares and doing all the advised mods. I only ever fly it over grass as well.
I wish the Blade nano or the HiSky FBL100 had been available then. If I were in your position I would say with hindsight and considering whats available today the Blade nano CPX seems to
be the best bet but you will need to spend to get a decent Spectrum TX with it. Depends on your budget. The HiSky / Turnigy FBL 100 / 80 looks promising too but their are some issues with it I think ATM. One being that parts are never in stock anywhere.
Xascent is offline Find More Posts by Xascent
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xascent View Post
the Walkera V120D02s came out advertised as 'Ultra Durable' so I went for it. Nice heli flies great nice and easy step up to but 'durable' it isn't !
By Walkera's definition of durable, it is pretty darn durable. I flew one for a whole five minutes one day and the motors didn't burn up and nothing broke...
Old Oct 29, 2012, 02:36 PM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
By Walkera's definition of durable, it is pretty darn durable. I flew one for a whole five minutes one day and the motors didn't burn up and nothing broke...
You must of had to nurse it round then. Yes I've realised over time it's a bit of a joke putting Walkera and durable in the same sentence,
Old Oct 29, 2012, 03:26 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
You must of had to nurse it round then. Yes I've realised over time it's a bit of a joke putting Walkera and durable in the same sentence,
Probably the lower drag of the local air putting less stress on the motors...

I did enjoy flying it once we got it dialed in. It's not a horrible helicopter, just low quality. There's a lot of that around - I wish people knew what I mean by that. It works, but it's low quality - that statement doesn't make sense to folks, I think.
Old Oct 29, 2012, 08:44 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
I was in your position about a year ago and what was important to me then was durability, which was what I was used to having learnt on a Xieda 9958 which would take a battering no problem.
So wanting to get into CP helis I was on the lookout for something rugged, this was about the time the Walkera V120D02s came out advertised as 'Ultra Durable' so I went for it. Nice heli flies great nice and easy step up to but 'durable' it isn't ! I have spent a small fortune on spares and doing all the advised mods. I only ever fly it over grass as well.
I wish the Blade nano or the HiSky FBL100 had been available then. If I were in your position I would say with hindsight and considering whats available today the Blade nano CPX seems to
be the best bet but you will need to spend to get a decent Spectrum TX with it. Depends on your budget. The HiSky / Turnigy FBL 100 / 80 looks promising too but their are some issues with it I think ATM. One being that parts are never in stock anywhere.
I wouldn't normally recommend tha V120D02S as a first CP as it can be as fast as 250. The mCPX and Genius CP were available at that time and would have been a better choice. But as far as 120 sized heli goes, it is as durable and problem free as it gets. The Nano CPX and HiSky FBL100 are geared for 3D and may not be that suitable for beginners. I found that the Mini CP has better flight performance and better durability than either the mCPX and Genius CP but seems to be more susceptible to receiver damage. In fact, I have completely fed up with the 100 sized CPs at the moment because of recurrent down time due to blown tail fets, pulled battery leads and other problems.

I cannot see any quality differences between Blade and Walkera at this size level. It is highly disputable whether V120D02S or the 130X is of higher quality, especially given that some 130X users are using Walkera parts. In fact, it is the 130X which is taking all the flak at the moment. Just witness the large number of hate threads about the 130X in Helifreak. It is not only that, people who owned both V120D02S and 130X have also confirmed that the V120D02S is more durable and problem free. I have had over 1000 flights on the V120D02S and I learnt basic 3D with it. This was something I could not do with the mCPX and Genius CP. Walkera is now using a 6 axis gyro which makes it easier to fly than beginners. I know that issues rarely arise randomly. It is so reliable that I don't even bother to do pre-flight checks. I have had a stretch of more than 50 crashes without needing to replace anything.

I am considering buying a 130X as a performance upgrade over the V120D02S at some stage. But I am definitely not taking the risk right now given that we do not get direct HH warranty and support in Hong Kong. I will have to be convinced that most of the problems are fixed first. I would certainly want to see a marked reduction in hate threads in the 130X forum of Helifreak first.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Oct 29, 2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:03 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Probably the lower drag of the local air putting less stress on the motors...

I did enjoy flying it once we got it dialed in. It's not a horrible helicopter, just low quality. There's a lot of that around - I wish people knew what I mean by that. It works, but it's low quality - that statement doesn't make sense to folks, I think.
I know what you mean only I haven't flown any real quality heli's yet, waiting until I get more experience. Is their, if any, real quality at this size, I don't think so, only with bigger machines.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 06:31 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
It is so reliable that I don't even bother to do pre-flight checks. I have had a stretch of more than 50 crashes without needing to replace anything.
50 crashes and no damage !!! That must be after a fully modded version I doubt I've had that many crashes since I've had it and had loads of breakages. I cant so much as look at it and something breaks. Must of got dud from the factory.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 08:12 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,329 Posts
Quote:
50 crashes and no damage !!! That must be after a fully modded version I doubt I've had that many crashes since I've had it and had loads of breakages. I cant so much as look at it and something breaks. Must of got dud from the factory.
i am not saying that there was no damage but they were not sufficient to need any repairs. On average, I would say I usually need to carry out some repairs every 5-10 crashes. I am not using a slipper clutch and the only mod I have are the white Solo Pro 180D blades and a piece of string to hold the tail rudder push rod. The skids are a major nuisance as they are easily broken. I used to get a lot of servos being stripped but that have stopped.. Oomodel sells replacement servo gears for $2.99 with free shipping. The main gear has a longer shaft and it is possible that the longer shaft is better at absorbing shocks.

It really depends on how you fly and where you fly it. I fly in a small enclosed soccer field with short grass. I fly very low and quite often inverted. For some reason, inverted crashes just do result in as much damage as upright crashes. FFF crashes are bound to result in much more damage. If you are getting a lot of crash damage, perhaps you should look for a field with taller grass. I wouldn't worry too much about it long term. Eventually, you will get to a stage when few repairs are needed. Unlike older Walkera models, problems just don't arise randomly. You will find very few dissatisfied users in the V120D02S thread in the micro heli forum. If you feel like it, you could definitely take a break and get a 100 sized CP.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Oct 30, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
I know what you mean only I haven't flown any real quality heli's yet, waiting until I get more experience. Is their, if any, real quality at this size, I don't think so, only with bigger machines.
There is a huge range of quality in the 450 size, from total crap to stuff that looks like it came from a jeweler. I would say the Rave is the best 450 I've personally flown - it's a step up from the Trex. I would say the Blade 450 is the lowest quality 'current' helicopter I would recommend to a beginner, and I think Trex is right in the middle.

Listen to the sound of these machines - listen to the Rave, how smooth it is compared to the HK-450 I posted earlier. The sound of a helicopter indicates how well the parts are working together - louder sound = lower quality. Used to be - that's how we tuned car engines - by sound. Now we have computers that tell you how well the car is running, but the skill of determining a machine's general health by sound is still important - develop that skill, it will help you. You should be able to hear the helicopter making a few distinct different sounds, and those sounds will tell you how healthy each system is. You can hear the blades, the main drive, the tail drive, and the tail blades - just like picking out one instrument in an orchestra, you can pick out one of those sounds and concentrate on it, and learn if your machine is working right.

I still can't believe people let me fly their helicopters, but here it is... this machine is very high quality. When we switched it over to flybarless, it flew almost the same. When the computer can't correct anything, it was pretty darn good to begin with.

Rave450 Test drive (4 min 1 sec)
Old Oct 31, 2012, 08:00 AM
United Kingdom, England
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
i am not saying that there was no damage but they were not sufficient to need any repairs. On average, I would say I usually need to carry out some repairs every 5-10 crashes. I am not using a slipper clutch and the only mod I have are the white Solo Pro 180D blades and a piece of string to hold the tail rudder push rod. The skids are a major nuisance as they are easily broken. I used to get a lot of servos being stripped but that have stopped.. Oomodel sells replacement servo gears for $2.99 with free shipping. The main gear has a longer shaft and it is possible that the longer shaft is better at absorbing shocks.

It really depends on how you fly and where you fly it. I fly in a small enclosed soccer field with short grass. I fly very low and quite often inverted. For some reason, inverted crashes just do result in as much damage as upright crashes. FFF crashes are bound to result in much more damage. If you are getting a lot of crash damage, perhaps you should look for a field with taller grass. I wouldn't worry too much about it long term. Eventually, you will get to a stage when few repairs are needed. Unlike older Walkera models, problems just don't arise randomly. You will find very few dissatisfied users in the V120D02S thread in the micro heli forum. If you feel like it, you could definitely take a break and get a 100 sized CP.
How is it better with the Solo Pro 180 blades ? Didn't know that one.
I have the Oomodel replacement gears but wouldn't you guess it haven't needed them since they arrived ! It's always what you don't have you need, sods law!
I have reached the stage of knowing the thing inside out and repairs take no time really now, apart from being half a world away from supplies of parts and the long frustrating wait that means.
I am on the look out for a 100 cp size not sure what to get as their seems to be a lot of development with new models atm. Waiting to see if Tarot do bring one out as you have hinted at on the forum.